cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning the carpet?

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Our Brookstone has vinyl plank flooring but the slide-outs & bedroom are carpeted. Without renting a carpet cleaner, what is the best way to clean the carpet?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
13 REPLIES 13

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Folex purchased at Home Depot, spray on a micro fiber and rub that on the dirty areas of the carpet. Really bad spot, spray directly on the spot, use a dry micro fiber cloth laid on the spot and use my foot with a shoe to pressure blot the area. Then vacuum, Folex worked really well on the ceiling areas where water leaked in at the a/c unit.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

DianaPowell
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has a way to clean the carpet and I have no doubt that it works for them. I just had a sad experience with cleaning carpets on my own, I ruined an expensive Persian carpet that cannot be restored. After such a terrible failure, I use the services of cleaning companies. As for how to clean a carpet in a hotel, I can only advise you on carpet cleaning companies. I do not advise you to risk cleaning and experimenting yourself, because you can ruin it. Professional companies know their business and will do everything for you in a good way.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Little Green Machine, it is portable. I use it at home for spot cleaning but I have used it in the trailer because there is not that much carpeting. Even in our bedroom, which has the most, it does not take that long.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I use a garden sprayer with a little bit of Simple Green. Spray, scrub with a soft brush and vacuum with a shop vac. Rinse with clean water and vacuum again. Done.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The only satisfactory cleaning I've ever got is from a commercial cleaner with a truck-mounted unit. Less than $100. Of course it's cheaper (and more work) to do yourself, but it won't get as clean, and those guys will do your furniture and throw rugs too.

Is that renting a carpet cleaner?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Other than dumping the Dyson dirt chamber, we do NOT clean it in any other way. However, ours is a small rechargeable. I have not tried to use a wet/dry on the Resolve, but it's got a filter, albeit very large, so I'd think it would probably clog as well. Just a lot slower and perhaps the dust could be cleaned out by beating the ends of the filter on a hard surface. My wet/dry uses a canister filter, not bag.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
We usually rent a Big Green Machine with upholstery atachments and pick up ZEP Commercial Carpet Cleaner at Home Depot. Also use ZEP Carpet spot remover prior to the carpet cleaning on those tough spots We get in the corners and hard to get spaces with the upholstery attachment and get the big areas with the machine. We then use it on the truck and any other vehicle upholstrey as well as the sticks and brick if we are there. One Day rental is 40 bucks and a gallon of Zep is 9 bucks which last forever! Spot remover about 8 bucks for a gallon and again last a long time. Been doing this for years from our Class A to TT now the 5er. It smells fresh and clean and the Big Green Machine is strong enough to pull out most sand and other garbage in the carpet. We had a small dog for years and it worked well.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
Our RV has over 110,000 miles on it and has been to Alaska 5 times and the southwest 7 times. Those trips to Alaska were to Valdez where we fished in the rain more than 50% of the time. That said, our light colored carpet on the slides, under the table and especially in front of the refrigerator gets very dirty. We use the carpet cleaner RESOLVE. Brush it in with a stiff brush, let it dry, and vacuum it up. The dirt and spots come up with it. OUR CARPET, in all areas, LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW.

One caution, the dry RESOLVE powder clogs vacuum bags easily because it's so fine, and then they blow out, so check them often and replace after carpet cleaning. We use a Dyson... No bags.

What do you think RESOLVE powder would do to a wet/dry ShopVac that uses a bag filter?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a Bissell. It only takes 2-3 times renting to pay for one you can own. I use mine to clean mt RV carpet. I even make my own shampoo.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Pigman regarding the Resolve and also the Dyson. I had to take our Dyson completely apart and clean it with soap and water and then blow with air compressor to get all the powder out. The carpet did come out very clean however. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV has over 110,000 miles on it and has been to Alaska 5 times and the southwest 7 times. Those trips to Alaska were to Valdez where we fished in the rain more than 50% of the time. That said, our light colored carpet on the slides, under the table and especially in front of the refrigerator gets very dirty. We use the carpet cleaner RESOLVE. Brush it in with a stiff brush, let it dry, and vacuum it up. The dirt and spots come up with it. OUR CARPET, in all areas, LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW.

One caution, the dry RESOLVE powder clogs vacuum bags easily because it's so fine, and then they blow out, so check them often and replace after carpet cleaning. We use a Dyson... No bags.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Stanley Steemer or rent a Rug Doctor cleaning machine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's not what you want to hear but, we hire Stanley Steemer for our home and RV.
We've found them to be the best carpet cleaners. Watch for their specials. YMMV