cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clogged Drain

VinnyP
Explorer
Explorer
My gray water tank won't drain. While washing dishes this morning the sink started filling up. I thought at first that I had left the dump valve closed but when I went to open it it was already open, at least the handle was in the open position. Checked the monitor panel and it read full. I guess the question is, do you think I've got a clog or am I going to have to start taking the underbelly down to locate the actual gate valve? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I've got the rest of the week to ponder this, won't be back at camper until Friday.
PS: This problem is on the Cedar Creek
Vinny & Rita
The Bronx, NY
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2009 Holiday Rambler Savoy LX
2015 Rockwood 2109S Mini-Lite
19 REPLIES 19

Good to hear the problem is solved...

Another valve open guy here, till its the day before leaving, then they get closed to gather up some stinky slinky wash/rinse water...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

VinnyP
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't dislodge clog with a snake. TLC RV (highly recommended) had to remove a section of black pipe, then a section of underbelly. Opened up a section of waste pipe and found clog where the gray waste line joins the 3 inch black line. Not sure of the cause, but George of TLC thought the trailer may not be leveled properly causing things to not flow smoothly. Sure enough when I checked we were off level by about two inches. Leveled it off and things have been flowing smoothly ever since. Fingers crossed!!
Thanks for the input everyone.
Vinny & Rita
The Bronx, NY
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2009 Holiday Rambler Savoy LX
2015 Rockwood 2109S Mini-Lite

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DReisinger wrote:
As mentioned previously, you may have a grey tank for the galley. I did and didn't realize it. After bursting the tank with to much pressure trying to flush drain line,a new tank was ordered and a $ 600.00 lesson was learned. By the way, old tanks make good lube plates for the hitch.

FYI the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket makes good lube plates also. Just at a little less expense. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned previously, you may have a grey tank for the galley. I did and didn't realize it. After bursting the tank with to much pressure trying to flush drain line,a new tank was ordered and a $ 600.00 lesson was learned. By the way, old tanks make good lube plates for the hitch.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
VinnyP??? Did you ever figure out what the problem was? What was it? How did you resolve it?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"If 12 valve has been doing this for years, and still does not know when to drain the tanks, so they won't back up into the shower, then there is not much hope! "

NICE! Looks like the Moderator had to clean up your post, I can see why.

I don't waste my time worrying about how full my tanks are, I have a weekly routing and it works VERY WELL!!!

Gauges? What a joke.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
The problem is you leave the valves open! The system is not designed to do that, you get build up and it clogs the pipe. To try and fix it you need to open the hot water faucets and hope it is enough to dissolve the build up! Both tanks, black and grey are called "holding" tanks. They are called that for a reason, they hold the contents, and then are drained. This action "sweeps" out any build up and keeps them clean! If you are able to get the tank clean, please do yourself a favor, and keep the valves closed, until the tank is full, then drain! Simple concept, why do so many people think they know more than the engineers who designed and built these systems?

When hooked to sewer I have left my grey tank open, been doing so for many years and full timing for nearly 6. I do once a week turn on tank spray, close valve and fill tank while doing black tank then open.

Never been a fan of being in the shower with the pan filling from the tank being full.

Personally, that's why I check the monitor =before= I get in the shower. :B Also, DW knows where the grey water handle is... :B

Lyle

Do what you want, but the bottom line is the tanks are called "Holding" Tanks! They are called that for a reason. Whether black or gray, you have solids in suspension, in order for them to drain properly you need pitch, (which is what you should have at home). That pitch allows the liquids to quickly run down the pipe, carrying the solids with it. In an RV, the tank is flat, and level if you did your job correctly when setting up. There is no pitch, yes the liquid will find the lowest point and drain, but but nearly fast enough to carry the solids. Every post I have seen, about clogged smelly tanks, the op states they leave the valves open on full hook ups, (To lazy to go out and drain the tanks?)!

If 12 valve has been doing this for years, and still does not know when to drain the tanks, so they won't back up into the shower, then there is not much hope! One you have a gauge, check it! Two you should know how much water your family uses, and can figure out how long you can go before draining the tanks! It is not rocket science, it can be done!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I always leave both Tanks closed. When the Gray Water Tank is full, I empty the Black Water Tank, then the Gray Water Tank. I then close both Tanks till the next Time. It works well for us. It has also eliminated any Odors.
God Bless!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
The problem is you leave the valves open! The system is not designed to do that, you get build up and it clogs the pipe. To try and fix it you need to open the hot water faucets and hope it is enough to dissolve the build up! Both tanks, black and grey are called "holding" tanks. They are called that for a reason, they hold the contents, and then are drained. This action "sweeps" out any build up and keeps them clean! If you are able to get the tank clean, please do yourself a favor, and keep the valves closed, until the tank is full, then drain! Simple concept, why do so many people think they know more than the engineers who designed and built these systems?

When hooked to sewer I have left my grey tank open, been doing so for many years and full timing for nearly 6. I do once a week turn on tank spray, close valve and fill tank while doing black tank then open.

Never been a fan of being in the shower with the pan filling from the tank being full.

Personally, that's why I check the monitor =before= I get in the shower. :B Also, DW knows where the grey water handle is... :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Coach-man wrote:

Agreed with leaving gray tanks open while on full hookup. Likewise, always leave black tank CLOSED until full or leaving, for the very reasons you mention. Can't think of how there could be any buildup in the gray tanks.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach-man wrote:

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Vinny did not tell us if this is new to him camper or if he has been draining the tank in the past with no problem :h

my shower and bath sink grey tank and the black tank handles are to the left of the dump tube and the sink dump valve is located to the right of the dump tube.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking and you will most likely find the valve that operates that tank otherwise your valve is broken and must be replaced
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)