cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering New 5th Wheel Toyhauler-Concerns

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
Morning all. I am considering selling my current tag work and play and purchasing a new 5th wheel toy hauler.
My concern is the hitch (pin) weight.

The model that has caught my eye as far as the size I would like is a new Heartland Fuel 335. Size is good. Price is fair. Dry weight not bad. The pin weight has me concerned. Showing at 3,400 pounds.

My tow vehicle is a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box.

That pin weight puts my truck at max payload.
What do you guys think? Too much?
27 REPLIES 27

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
merc1100sc wrote:
I kind of figured this would be the case. Time to look at different models I guess.
Bummer.

No, it is not necessarily the case. I urge you to read the multitude of payload arguments...I mean threads on here and talk to some folks and form your own opinion before canning the idea.
Too many variables to condemn the idea based on a couple posts from people who may or may not know what they are talking about.

I agree that everyone has their own opinion. I also realize once I load the garage up with **** the pin weight will drop noticeably. I just don't want to beat the **** out of the new truck weight wise. I'd like to stay in the 2K pin weight less than 12,500 Dry if possible.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
merc1100sc wrote:
I kind of figured this would be the case. Time to look at different models I guess.
Bummer.

No, it is not necessarily the case. I urge you to read the multitude of payload arguments...I mean threads on here and talk to some folks and form your own opinion before canning the idea.
Too many variables to condemn the idea based on a couple posts from people who may or may not know what they are talking about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
We went kind of overboard when we upgraded to a triple axle 5er. We absolutely love the trailer, but it's massive. I'm so glad we got the right dually to tow it.

At first I had sticker shock when I started shopping for the dually. Southern California is such a horrible market to shop for a heavy duty truck.

We finally came across some incredible deals at https://www.texasdirectauto.com/. We saved over $20k by flying to Houston and picking up a used dually. The dealer picked us up at the airport and took care of the mountain of paperwork that comes with bringing a heavy duty pickup into California.

We've had the truck for three years now and still absolutely love it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Not even close. 3/4 ton trucks are not good for 5th wheel trailering. They do not have enough payload for anything other than a very modest 5th wheel. You will probably need a DRW truck for that toy hauler, although a lighter (2wd, regular cab, etc.) 1 ton SRW might squeek by.

Let me tell you as a new 5th wheel toy hauler owner, you definitely don't want to be pushing it on capacity. My trailer weighs about 800 pounds more than the UVW published by the company that made it. They are HEAVY!

Not even close to correct. There are NUMEROUS fifth wheel trailers and toy haulers that can be towed by single wheel 3/4 ton trucks. Just check payload capacity of your TV and pin weight both loaded and unloaded. Remember Toy Haulers' pin weights tend to go DOWN when loaded.
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Not even close. 3/4 ton trucks are not good for 5th wheel trailering. They do not have enough payload for anything other than a very modest 5th wheel. You will probably need a DRW truck for that toy hauler, although a lighter (2wd, regular cab, etc.) 1 ton SRW might squeek by.

Let me tell you as a new 5th wheel toy hauler owner, you definitely don't want to be pushing it on capacity. My trailer weighs about 800 pounds more than the UVW published by the company that made it. They are HEAVY!

Not even close to correct. There are NUMEROUS fifth wheel trailers and toy haulers that can be towed by single wheel 3/4 ton trucks. Just check payload capacity of your TV and pin weight both loaded and unloaded. Remember Toy Haulers' pin weights tend to go DOWN when loaded.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
merc1100sc wrote:
After some more research, I've downsized my search to a Cougar 326Srx if I can find one. Big enough for what we need and still not too heavy in total or on the pin. problem is finding one new/clean enough to purchase.

That will be a better fit. They are out there, but you may have to travel a ways to get one.

Good luck on your search,
Jerry

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
After some more research, I've downsized my search to a Cougar 326Srx if I can find one. Big enough for what we need and still not too heavy in total or on the pin. problem is finding one new/clean enough to purchase.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even consider a 5th wheel toy hauler for a 2500/F-250. They're too heavy. My Voltage has 3500 on the pin.

One other comment, we had one of our dually tires go flat while my wife was driving. I can only imagine how things would have turned out if we didn't have the dually.

You're asking for trouble hauling that beast with a 2500.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re different since we full-time, but our rig listed pin was 3500# and we weigh in loaded at 4200#, and are within total weight. It takes a 1 ton dually For us.. Good luck.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
If your dry pin is 3400# that is probably going to be 1000# more by the time you get loaded up.
Subtract the weight of people, hitch and "stuff" from your truck's payload sticker number and you will see how far over you will be.
You may well be north of 2000# over.

Can't recommend this combo.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Y-Guy
From just a quick check, I'd say yes it's to much. GMC's website says Max payload of 3,276 lbs. looking a bit more it really depends on which model and features you have. 2WD vs 4WD I see range from 3,450 lbs to 3,158 lbs.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon