cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting a enclosed utility trailer into a TH. Ideas...

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
After almost 2 years I have decided the RVing life is too much like owning big boats, been there done that. The coach performed fine, the pickup did well also. The whole chasing good weather, setting up frequently, unpacking, packing just didn't put my fun meter in the red....
So.....
We really love the Black Hills of SD which we have stayed for weeks at a time in summers past (including this past summer). So I decided to leave the TH there in storage this winter, next summer move it to the park we like, and settle in for July trough October. I bought a new 7x14 enclosed trailer to tow the bikes and stuff we didn't want to leave there home and back again. I will hang on to the dually for at least another year so if I decide to visit another area, I can pull it. But I wanted the option of getting rid of the dually and towing the small trailer with my Tahoe.
Now.... I am thinking the 7x14 with some mods would make a cool mini toy hauler that we could do short 3 or 4 day trips in, and also serve as a guest cabin if we have visitors in SD. We never dry camp, always stay in a park, so I'm not planning a shower or more than a portapotti in the plan. I have seen some YouTube videos on full conversions, but always looking for more input.
I'm planning a minimal grey water & freshwater, just enough to wash my hands, wash the coffee pot, no hot water system.
Inverter for power, as most times it'll be plugged in to a post. Three cu ft 120v fridge, no LP. Microwave, TV. Going to use a good cot, and wife likes air mattress....
Undecided about;
Whether to use a roof top AC or a portable, like the rooftop, but a portable is 1/2 the price and only requires a 4" diameter vent on the side.
Do I have to insulate the walls or can I get away with just the ceiling? Heck of a lot more work to remove and replace the plywood sides.
Haven't decided what to do on the floor, it has flush tie downs and I use 'Biker Bars' for the Harley's which come out in about 3 minutes. Thinking either a manufactured finish flooring or more than likely just carry a cut carpet to roll out.
All input appreciated!
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
38 REPLIES 38

Hawk9
Explorer
Explorer
afishinado wrote:
Also didn't know how long the deep cycle battery/inverter would run the fridge, 26 hours and I was still showing 11.8v and the fridge was running.

26 hours! Wow!
What kind (AMP etc) of battery and inverter are you using?
Thanks for the great write-up.

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Afishinado:
Nice job... well done.
SAFBVET.....

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dunno why I couldn't upload the last reply with the images??
Yesterday, finished all the wiring, laid peel'n'stick linoleum to do the front 4' and picked up two 5x7 berber throw rugs for the rest which we'll lay out when the bikes are off and we're camping ($58 at Lowes total) sweet..
Did some experimenting with the AC, wanted to see if with the slider door closed (with four 14"x14" openings) if it would stay cool below the window line so we could leave the dogs in it while out riding. Figuring cold air sinks and heat rises, maybe.. Well it was over 90 degrees yesterday and the lower half the unit was 76 degrees, perfect. Also didn't know how long the deep cycle battery/inverter would run the fridge, 26 hours and I was still showing 11.8v and the fridge was running. Happy.

dedmiston
afishinado wrote:
Finished!

Mic drop.

:B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finished!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
My thread has some ideas too:

Upgrades to my trailer - 8.5x20 Haulmark

I still haven't finished my project, which I started over a year ago with the ceiling insulation. The insulation is done, but there's still more wiring that needs finalized.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Bojangles wrote:
Tinner1202:

Did you get private messages?

Yes I did.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Tinner1202:

Did you get private messages?
SAFBVET.....

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Bojangles wrote:
Tinner12002:

I did not know what "options" would be......
It's a dream.... a plan..... an idea. Nothing more.

To date, I have done nothing but started to update trailer for hauling. Added E tracks, D rings, Ratcheting straps, Removable "Wheel Chocks". All stuff to be able to "Haul" motorcycles and/or stuff.

And I have booked first job using uship.com, transporting bike to Buffalo, Ny. and sight seeing along the way. (the fee covered gas cost).

Used trailer to haul furniture for family members.

In addition to traveling to Key West, booking 2 or 3 bikes for transport, stay a day or two, then leisurely heading home, a Camping trip in State park for a day or three with others is in my thoughts.... also FLEA market activity planned, nothing more for now. All good stuff.
See ya on down the road!

Just courious...what are you doing to insure the bikes/cargo your hauling from uship? I looked into doing that and the proper insurance was cost prohibitive to do on a part time basis.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note, when we headed home at the end of last summer, every one of those bins you see stacked in the photos were full. We're used to doing that twice a year, we were NJ-FL snowbirds since 2000, no biggy. Because I had so much time to do this, and again, this is to probably do 6 or so camping trips a year, I shopped hard. Bought the fridge off CL for $50.. The AC was brand new off eBay broken enclosure $65. New, unused in the box portapotty $15. Have air mattress thanks to the G-kids everywhere.
Been fun just doing it actually.

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Tinner12002:

I did not know what "options" would be......
It's a dream.... a plan..... an idea. Nothing more.

To date, I have done nothing but started to update trailer for hauling. Added E tracks, D rings, Ratcheting straps, Removable "Wheel Chocks". All stuff to be able to "Haul" motorcycles and/or stuff.

And I have booked first job using uship.com, transporting bike to Buffalo, Ny. and sight seeing along the way. (the fee covered gas cost).

Used trailer to haul furniture for family members.

In addition to traveling to Key West, booking 2 or 3 bikes for transport, stay a day or two, then leisurely heading home, a Camping trip in State park for a day or three with others is in my thoughts.... also FLEA market activity planned, nothing more for now. All good stuff.
See ya on down the road!
SAFBVET.....

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
tinner12002 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Rather than putting more money into a 2nd trailer when you haven't enjoyed the first, why not look at ways to simplify what you are doing with the first one.

You mention "packing and unpacking" - how about looking at how to minimize that. Dedicated gear and clothes that stay in the TH, etc.

I have my clipper set up so I can be ready and on the road within about 10 minutes - just load perishables, camera gear and critters.

While your idea of the smaller utility trailer is a nice idea, seems to me you're going to be doing just as much work to get it ready and you currently do with the TH.

X2 as I was thinking the same thing...If that's what the OP is wanting to do there are a lot of options with trailers already set up like he's wanting from the factory but still will be packing and unpacking.

Like I said early on... The conversion was an afterthought, I bought the trailer just to haul our stuff (including two Harleys) back'n'forth once a year. Home and SD are 2300 miles apart, we aren't leaving all our stuff out there for 8 months! I will also point out that I don't think I spent $1000 on the conversion, said'n'done I'll be in it for under $6k, one already set up (nicer of course) sells for around $20k. Now we will have a way to haul the bikes to another destination camp and ride a couple days. This is not replacing my 5er which will stay put in SD July-Nov 1st. The other nice thing is I will using my Tahoe all summer, not a big dually (which I am putting up for sale shortly). Just going to pay a guy to move the 5er from storage to the site and back every summer. Going to upgrade to a newer nicer 5er to stay in, as it will now be our summer home.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Bojangles wrote:
Just bought a 7 X 14 Haulmark Cargo Trailer to convert for RV activity as well as hauling, Sold my Freedom Express RB170 TT.

I will follow this posting with interest.

Windows, power inlet for Gen and Batteries mounted in P/U, AC lights, Bunk beds, Desk (for WIFI) heater, Air Conditioning all thoughts for now.
All mounted in front allowing axles to carry whatever. Maybe it will be attractive to "USHIP" member or I can take advantage of Web site to help with travel cost.
Always the dream...... a plan to give life purpose.

See ya on down the road!

You just bought the trailer...just wondering why you didn't just buy one with the options you wanted????
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Rather than putting more money into a 2nd trailer when you haven't enjoyed the first, why not look at ways to simplify what you are doing with the first one.

You mention "packing and unpacking" - how about looking at how to minimize that. Dedicated gear and clothes that stay in the TH, etc.

I have my clipper set up so I can be ready and on the road within about 10 minutes - just load perishables, camera gear and critters.

While your idea of the smaller utility trailer is a nice idea, seems to me you're going to be doing just as much work to get it ready and you currently do with the TH.

X2 as I was thinking the same thing...If that's what the OP is wanting to do there are a lot of options with trailers already set up like he's wanting from the factory but still will be packing and unpacking.
2018 Raptor 428SP