cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Michelin Ribs update

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Was able to talk to the local Costco Tire Store manager today to try to get clarification on what the warrantee would be on the Michelin Ribs 235/85 R16 tires for a 5th wheel. No mileage guarantee, No road hazard guarantee but Michelin would replace the tire if a manaufacturing defect showed up. Tire would be replaced on a Pro-rated basis based on tread depth. Would not be allowed to park truck and 5th wheel in Costco parking lot to bring one tire in at a time but would be allowed to park the truck and 5th wheel in the vacant lot next door and bring in one wheel at a time.

Additional information on the 2006 Montana 3400RL Aluminum rims rated a 3,045 lbs. According to information on Montana Owners Club postings these same Aluminum Rims were approved in 2007 for 110 PSI and/or 3750 lb weight carrying capacity. Supposedly the older rims of this type were grandfathered in because no change had been made on these specific rims between 2006 and 2007. At the present time I do not plan to put Goodyear GS614's on this 5th wheel because I think it is overkill with 6,000 lb axles and therefore the issue may be moot. However, if I change my mind I will do considerably more research on the rims capability/reliability at 110 PSI.

This thread is a continuation of the "Freestar Shredded" thread that has been closed by the moderator.
104 REPLIES 104

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Seven months later....

I just read this whole VERY interesting thread and feel like I came to the end of a good book and somebody ripped out the last couple of pages...

Hey, O.P.! You still out there?

What did you decide/do/buy????

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27047513/gotomsg/27048259.cfm#27048259
????????????????

Took less than 1 minute to find the answer. Hit his profile then posts. Do you just troll tire threads? Chris

??????????????????????????????????????????

Are you following me around, Shelter Bay? Careful- people will say we're in love!

If you have a problem with me asking a question on a thread started by some other member that has nothing to do with you......get some help.

Well said, there are a couple more here that could use help.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Hello!!! You brought the thread to the top!!!!

Chris

And that has exactly what to do with you? I asked a civil question in a thread on a subject I'm interested in. You are a minor player in this thread despite your best efforts to take it over. The instantaneous result of my perfectly appropriate query of the O.P. is a sarcastic, insulting, and if I may say so, bizarre response from...YOU.

It's no wonder the O.P. hasn't responded. Why should he put up with the abuse that may be expected if he didn't do what you think he should have done?

I repeat my advice to seek help.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Seven months later....

I just read this whole VERY interesting thread and feel like I came to the end of a good book and somebody ripped out the last couple of pages...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27047513/gotomsg/27048259.cfm#27048259
????????????????

Took less than 1 minute to find the answer. Hit his profile then posts. Do you just troll tire threads? Chris

Are you following me around, Shelter Bay? Careful- people will say we're in love!

If you have a problem with me asking a question on a thread started by some other member that has nothing to do with you......get some help.

Hello!!! You brought the thread to the top!!!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Our local Costco flat out refused to install any type of LT tire on my fifth wheel. I said I would just bring the wheels in and he said they would know they weren't truck rims and wouldn't touch them. Costco is no longer on my list of tire suppliers.

Interesting. Costco in Mesa, AZ installed 4 Bridgestone R250 Duravais on my 2006 3400RL Montana rims that I brought in to them to mount. They wouldn't mount them on the 5th wheel at their store. Their reason was they didn't have room to do so. They took of 3500 lb rated ST tires and put on 3,040 lb LT tires. I have 6,000 lb rated axles which they never saw. The rims were also only rated for 3,000 lbs. Keystone/Montana did me no favors with the China Bombs ST tires they put on OEM. Missions that didn't last 10,000 miles then the Missions were replaced under warranty with Freestars that didn't last 10,000 miles. I learned my lesson.

Discount Tire and Firestone Tire stores refused to mount lT tires on my 5th wheel.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Our local Costco flat out refused to install any type of LT tire on my fifth wheel. I said I would just bring the wheels in and he said they would know they weren't truck rims and wouldn't touch them. Costco is no longer on my list of tire suppliers.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Seven months later....

????????????????

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Seven months later....

....and "joebodford" (also) trolls threads that are 7 months old.:R

Mods - time to put it to rest, "RIP"..:C

~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
A bridgestone over a Michelin?? Not on my stuff no matter the price.
I have Michelins on my truck and Bridgestones on my 5er.

Guess which ones have cracked sidewalls.

Michelin's!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
ChopperBill wrote:
A bridgestone over a Michelin?? Not on my stuff no matter the price.
I have Michelins on my truck and Bridgestones on my 5er.

Guess which ones have cracked sidewalls.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Seven months later....

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Seven months later....

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
The Discount Tire store manager spent a lot of time explaining to me that they convinced Carlisle tire to build a 5th wheel tire that would stand up and have been selling it for a year without a single reported problem.
I really doubt Discount was the driver in Carlisles decision to make the tire. I would think OEM feedback was the bigger influence. That said my tires (same as you are considering) in the past year have made three trips. Fl to Cali, Cali to Penns. Penns to OH and back. They have the same air psi as the day they were mounted. Towing speed pretty much sits at 65 for days on end.

The tire they strongly recommend for my needs is a Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 235/80/R16E with a Load Range designation of 124 which supposedly is 3500 Lbs. If your wheels can handle 95 psi they also have a 235/85-16 that can do 3900 lbs. More margin is a good thing.
clicky

They will sell/mount/balance and warranty the tires on my 5th wheel w/o reservation. Will also sell their add-on road hazard cert for complete replacement w/o prorating. for an additional ~ $100.00 for 4 tires.

They quoted me out the door installed balanced and mounted $741.57 for 4 tires with prorated road hazard and $841.89 w/o prorating.

I am having severe heartburn with any ST tire of any kind and especialy Carlisle tires. Can anyone offer a reason why I shouldn't be taking big sips of Malox? Please tell me what your experiences have been with this particular tire, if any.
I already stated my experience with them, Carlisle also claims the following... "All Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series trailered equipment ride on Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires and Black Rock wheels, and are towed from event to event an average of 35,000 miles per year without a tire failure.” clicky

PS: this tire is made in Taiwan
First I heard of that. Discount tell you that?

Yes, the Discount Tire guy went out and looked at a Carlisle Radial Trail RH tire in stock and came back and said they were made in Taiwan. Having spent quite a bit of time in both Taiwan and mainland China, I would trust products made in Taiwan significantly more than those made in China.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:
The Discount Tire store manager spent a lot of time explaining to me that they convinced Carlisle tire to build a 5th wheel tire that would stand up and have been selling it for a year without a single reported problem.
I really doubt Discount was the driver in Carlisles decision to make the tire. I would think OEM feedback was the bigger influence. That said my tires (same as you are considering) in the past year have made three trips. Fl to Cali, Cali to Penns. Penns to OH and back. They have the same air psi as the day they were mounted. Towing speed pretty much sits at 65 for days on end.

The tire they strongly recommend for my needs is a Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 235/80/R16E with a Load Range designation of 124 which supposedly is 3500 Lbs. If your wheels can handle 95 psi they also have a 235/85-16 that can do 3900 lbs. More margin is a good thing.
clicky

They will sell/mount/balance and warranty the tires on my 5th wheel w/o reservation. Will also sell their add-on road hazard cert for complete replacement w/o prorating. for an additional ~ $100.00 for 4 tires.

They quoted me out the door installed balanced and mounted $741.57 for 4 tires with prorated road hazard and $841.89 w/o prorating.

I am having severe heartburn with any ST tire of any kind and especialy Carlisle tires. Can anyone offer a reason why I shouldn't be taking big sips of Malox? Please tell me what your experiences have been with this particular tire, if any.
I already stated my experience with them, Carlisle also claims the following... "All Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series trailered equipment ride on Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires and Black Rock wheels, and are towed from event to event an average of 35,000 miles per year without a tire failure.” clicky

PS: this tire is made in Taiwan
First I heard of that. Discount tell you that?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
LostinAZ wrote:
Still working what I'm going to replace the Frestar ST235/80R16E's on our 2006 Montana 3400RL with. Went to Discount Tire today to discuss what they had to offer regarding the Maxxis Tire. They really didn't want to discuss or even quote that tire to me. Their primary reason is that Maxxis is very difficult to deal with on warranty issues. That is what they told me. They would much prefer to sell me Carlisle tires. Now this is absoulte heresy for me to even bring up this brand tire. I have heard of so many bad experiences with Carlisle tires and have had bad experiences with Carlisle tires on my equipment trailer in the past. But.....

The Discount Tire store manager spent a lot of time explaining to me that they convinced Carlisle tire to build a 5th wheel tire that would stand up and have been selling it for a year without a single reported problem. The tire they strongly recommend for my needs is a Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 235/80/R16E with a Load Range designation of 124 which supposedly is 3500 Lbs. They will sell/mount and warranty the tires on my 5th wheel w/o reservation. Will also sell their add-on road hazard cert for complete replacement w/o prorating. for an additional ~ $100.00 for 4 tires.

As long as the tires are fresh (less than 6 months old) I would probably pop on them. Especially if your local tire shop backs them and warranty's them.

Maxxis still has the best rep.. but that may come from low volume.

I imagine that the Goodyear/Carlisle numbers are 20-1 or higher to Maxxis ST tires that are out there on the road.

Higher volume gives the perception of higher failure rate... however, this past summer we did hear several (more than two) reports of Maxxis tire failures.

With that said..

Here is a pic of a Goodyear tire off of a Montana, PSI at max Cold sidewall psi, less than 75 miles from the campground.

TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~