cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cutting hole for dryer vent

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
What method is best for cutting a dryer vent hole in a 5er wall? I was thinking about a properly sized hole saw attached to an electric drill.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon
15 REPLIES 15

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
Thanks all. Hole saw it is. The new unit likely has a designated spot to cut the vent hole. At least the 2013 version I saw had the spot designated. I ass-u-me the 2014 version does as well.

How about calling the trlr mfg's tech line and ask?..:h

~

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Hole saw it is. The new unit likely has a designated spot to cut the vent hole. At least the 2013 version I saw had the spot designated. I ass-u-me the 2014 version does as well.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
4" hole saw

Too small!

The pipe is 4" . 4 1/4" would be better.

My total work experience has been in construction and including myself at times without the correct tool it is usually a bigger problem with the hole too tight.

tools are everything.
chevman

If we want to get technical what is the outside diameter of the hood or discharge cover being used?

It all depends on the model. Measure what you are using and size the hole about 1/4" larger than what goes thru the wall.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
4" hole saw

Too small!

My total work experience has been in construction and including myself at times without the correct tool it is usually a bigger problem with the hole too tight.

tools are everything.
chevman

If we want to get technical what is the outside diameter of the hood or discharge cover being used?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
Start with a small hole from the inside and bend a coat hanger at 90 degrees and insert into the hole. Spin the hanger all around and if it doesn't hit on anything then you are good.
It better hit something, unless you are totally un-insulated! :E

I've installed my dryer vent in 3 different rigs now with the same 4" hole saw. Use the morning dew to find the studs, use some common sense to avoid the electrical, and go for it. I go from the outside in, then go inside and finish through the same pilot hole. The 4" hole saw is about 1/2" short of going all the way through which avoids any splintering of wood or chipping of gel as experienced when drilling all the way through from one side.

I've kept the plugs from all of them as a joke for coasters. They are laminated wood sandwiched over a Styrofoam core.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
4" hole saw

Too small!

tools are everything.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
4" hole saw

Too small!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Make sure your exploration hole isn't bigger than the pilot on the hole saw. just sayin'.......

Or make the pilot hole next to the bigger hole if there is room.

Or do it from inside?

If in doubt Make a smaller exploration hole on the inside
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Make sure your exploration hole isn't bigger than the pilot on the hole saw. just sayin'.......

Or do it from inside?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and tape it on both sides helps with chiping. do all the above I,realy like the 4inch plus hole ,makes easy slideing the pipe thru.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
What method is best for cutting a dryer vent hole in a 5er wall?

You are asking how to cut a hole in the wall of a 5th wheel trailer. That is not the correct question. It is not the type of RV at issue, but the type of wall construction that is at issue.

Is the wall construction wood frame and aluminium siding?
Is the wall construction aluminium frame and aluminium siding?
Is the wall construction bonded fiberglass?
Is the wall construction glued or riveted aluminium sheeting over what material?

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
4-1/8" hole saw works better and they usually can be found at the Depot or Lowes.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Once you determine the location, look at the area in the early morning when there is dew on the outside. You will be able to see the structural members. Then it is a matter of determining if there are any wires or plumbing in that area. Start with a small hole from the inside and bend a coat hanger at 90 degrees and insert into the hole. Spin the hanger all around and if it doesn't hit on anything then you are good.
Use a circular hole saw but do NOT go all the way through. When the drill bit pilot pierces the opposite surface, STOP. They go to that opposite side, insert the bit into the hole that you just created and drill from that side. Go slow and steady to eliminate breakout of the surface.