cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demco Auto-Slide 5th wheel Hitch

Saintlover56
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 18k Demco auto-slide 5th wheel hitch and a Trail-Air Tri-Glide King pin. I have been told I need a locking plate (Demco 6095) to properly lock King Pin into Auto-slide hitch. Is there anyone that has this system and issue. Is there a video out there to install the locking plate. They told me I would not need to use the catch plates after the locking plate has been mounted. Any info and video's would be greatful. I am assuming because they can sell this part it is safe, legal etc.
7 REPLIES 7

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a simple way to add photos to our post on our site. It was developed by our Technology Forum Mod, 1492. You may get a warning from your Norton but just continue on to the site. There is nothing malicious about the site at all.

Photo posting site.

All you do is upload your picture to the site, copy the resulting URL and then post that URL into your post without making any changes. Do not add anything and do not subtract anything. Just copy and paste.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only have 2 photos that show the locking plate - one from the side and one from the bottom. The one from the bottom was taken when I had started, but not finished, drilling the mounting hole in the bottom of the pin box. I put the drill in the existing hole in the locking plate and used it as a guide to drill through the pin box. Note: Clamp the locking plate firmly against the pin before drilling. I had difficulty getting it clamped tightly which resulted in about a 1/16" gap between the plate and the pin when the plate is bolted in place. This allows some wiggle when making turns, and over time tends to loosen my mounting bolt. Because of this, I check the torque (85 ft-lbs) every 750 to 1000 miles.

Yes, I recommend this plate. Furthermore, to my knowledge, there is no other option if you want to use your Demco with your Trail Air.

I can't find an easy way to add photos to this text. All of the suggested ones are out of business, charge a fee, or trigger warnings from my antivirus software. So, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the photos.

Or maybe someone can suggest a less painful way to upload photos.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Saintlover56
Explorer
Explorer
In regards to your reply Ken, that may very well be the simplest solution but I already have a 90K shortbed. With the price of vehicles nowadays I dont need a full length box if I did I may as well by a sail on it and call it a boat.
Anyway , could someone else that has replied to my concern that has a short box with the same Kingpin and lock plate installed possibly send me a couple close up pictures. Maybe one of the locking plate being mounted and another picture with the Kingpin, locking plate in the jaws of a Demco aut slide hitch. Then I am sure it would make more sense. Also let me know if you recommend this plate, I know it is supposed to be used , have you had any doubts or problems with your set up. Thank you very much for all your help in advance. Al

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
By far the simplest solution is to buy a long bed truck and eliminate the need for a slider hitch. Just saying.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Saintlover56
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if there are any video's on the install of the Demco 6095 locking plate. I have seen diagrams but they do not seem very detailed. I am sure it is reasonably straight forward but a video would be even better so as to be no grey area.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saintlover56 wrote:
I have a 18k Demco auto-slide 5th wheel hitch and a Trail-Air Tri-Glide King pin. I have been told I need a locking plate (Demco 6095) to properly lock King Pin into Auto-slide hitch. Is there anyone that has this system and issue. Is there a video out there to install the locking plate. They told me I would not need to use the catch plates after the locking plate has been mounted. Any info and video's would be greatful. I am assuming because they can sell this part it is safe, legal etc.

I have an 18k Demco auto-slide 5th wheel hitch and a Trail-Air Tri-Glide Air-Ride king pin. Installation instructions came with the locking plate, and it is best to firmly clamp the plate in place when drilling the hole in the king pin to attach the locking plate. The only difficult part was having to drill overhead. If I had it to do again, I would have someone else install it.

Regarding the catch plates, they are not needed with the locking plate. In fact, I had to take mine off because they interferred with the grease ports on the side of my king pin. (I suspect your model does not have grease ports.)

I believe it to be safe, legal, etc.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Call Demco tech support. They can sell you the correct plate. It is simple to install but may take two people to hold in place. We needed a large "C-Clamp" to align the holes.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos