cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desert Fox 5th wheels....in the flesh.

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just stumbled across this....might be the first real sightings.
Guess it helps that the dealer is in the same town as the factory.

Desert Fox's and scroll down.

They look nice...not a blingy as some, but DF's never were like that anyway.

Cheers.
13 REPLIES 13

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
They look nice, but I can guarantee they will be HEAVY.

DFs use a very beefy frame. I hauled a 21SW from the factory to Boise about 3 weeks ago and it surprised me how heavy it was - I guess I forgot how heavy they were. I didn't remember mine being that heavy. After the experience I had towing the new one, I sure wouldn't want to tow ANY DF with a gasser once it was loaded with fuel, water, food, adult beverages and toys.

+1, very heavy trailers. My cousin had a 28ft aluminum sided bumper pull years ago, was probably a 2005/2006 model. Even pulling it with a diesel was a struggle at times
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

BadDogPSD
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Next time I'm in LaGrande, I'm going to stop at that dealer and give them some photography lessons (on lighting, and using the flash).
The photos taken out the back of the rig are hideous. They should have used the flash.

Agreed. And probably not a good idea to have the guys in the pictures either.
2013 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4
2014 Desert Fox 24AS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
They look nice, but I can guarantee they will be HEAVY.

DFs use a very beefy frame. I hauled a 21SW from the factory to Boise about 3 weeks ago and it surprised me how heavy it was - I guess I forgot how heavy they were. I didn't remember mine being that heavy. After the experience I had towing the new one, I sure wouldn't want to tow ANY DF with a gasser once it was loaded with fuel, water, food, adult beverages and toys.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I just downloaded the newest Desert Fox flyer and both are listed. My guess is the two units are prototypes for "future" production.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Next time I'm in LaGrande, I'm going to stop at that dealer and give them some photography lessons (on lighting, and using the flash).
The photos taken out the back of the rig are hideous. They should have used the flash.
Bob

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E. wrote:
Just figured because they were on a dealer's lot and for sale that they must be in production??

Those two units are the only ones I have been able to find, so prototype sounds about right. If you could take some aspects of both of those units and combine them together you could have a nice trailer. It cracks me up that the one has the couch that splits down the middle. Half looks out the back door, while the other half looks towards the front of the trailer. Have not seen that style in years. Everyone wants the Happi-jack version that is in the other prototype trailer where you can have a table between the two benches.

Y-Guy
n7bsn wrote:
Northwoods has always built a few prototypes, a lot never make it into production. Years back they had a Desert Fox 5er that was large (38-5U?), besides a 32 ft unit.

The 38-5U was a production 5er, close friends and camping buddies of ours had one. Thing was a beast, built like a brick outhouse, but solid. But the interior was dated even back in 2005 - still using the light blue and tulip lamp shades. The ceased production when the recession hit and the pulled back on a lot of their units that were more expensive so they could weather the storm - seems they were smart about that now.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just figured because they were on a dealer's lot and for sale that they must be in production??

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Northwoods has always built a few prototypes, a lot never make it into production. Years back they had a Desert Fox 5er that was large (38-5U?), besides a 32 ft unit.

There was a really small AF truck type camper earlier this year.

Heck there still may be an AF Class C motor home out there.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
According to Desert Fox they are prototypes with no time line for regular production.
At least that's what I was told by them a few weeks ago.

Y-Guy
Looks good, but wow not much room once that couch extends. I don't personally care for the island kitchen. Not sure about the price that must be the DDWP (dealers dream wish price)

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prices seem to be pretty pumped up these days....not unusual to see listing prices of over $100K for lots of units...yikes

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
$89,467.00

?????? That must be MSRP +$20k
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator