cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dexter Disc Bleeder Screws

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone with DEXTER disc brakes replaced the original bleeder screws with speed bleeders.
I need to replace my bleeder screws due to corrosion and hoping to get brass this time and speed bleeder, too.
Experience and recommendations, please. Thanks
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL
4 REPLIES 4

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Earl's speed bleeders on a couple race cars. Next to sliced bread and butter they are the best thing to come along. There are different threads available so make sure to get the right ones. They do come with a thread sealer on them and over the years screwing in and out may wear this down enough to let air bypass when bleeding, but that time hasn't come yet.

Also there is a special wrench to fit these, looks almost like a 6 pt box end wrench but it is cut out to slip over the tube or whatever. Like a flair wrench. Suggest using one of these. And when you close it, work it back and forth to seat the inner flange, shouldn't take much really to close it. Don't give it one big turn when you close it. Burnish it in.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
Iโ€™ve been looking to replace the brake fluid in my fiver and too looked at those bleeder screws. I changed the brake lines on our 2001 GMC Yukon this past winter and fought frozen bleeders on every caliper so not really looking forward to dealing with these too......:(

Working with bleeders and fittings in old wheel cylinders, (50-80 years old) we have found best not put a wrench on until the cylinder has been cherry red, then dropped in oil until can handle it...

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Brass speed bleeders are available. I am just not certain of the Dexter 8k brake caliper bleeder size, ie., threads size and length. I want the replacements on hand before I replace them.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been looking to replace the brake fluid in my fiver and too looked at those bleeder screws. I changed the brake lines on our 2001 GMC Yukon this past winter and fought frozen bleeders on every caliper so not really looking forward to dealing with these too......:(
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes