cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dexter Easy Lube axles

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
We recently acquired a 2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS. We've owned two Carriage Cameos prior to this one but both of those had the NeverLube axles. I want to make sure the axles are adequately lubricated but I'm unsure of the procedure. Do I need to lift the wheel(s) off the ground prior to pumping the grease in? Should be a pretty easy task by using the Gigfoot system; just don't know if it's necessary. Thanks for the experienced replies.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
9 REPLIES 9

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be checking the brakes as I grease the axles. We pulled it back from Lawton, Oklahoma after we purchased it and the braking worked quite well, but it's still a good thing to check. I have no idea what type of maintenance level the prior owner performed so I'm just wanting to check everything and set a base level from which to start. Thanks for all the info.
Det 1 56th SOWg

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I just lubed my axles w/ the zerks while coach was raised up and spinning the wheel at same time. Found 1 brakes was actually dragging a bit compared to the other 3 as it didn't spin as freely. Has the never adjust brakes to boot. So when done greasing, I used 1 screwdriver to raise up the "locking" tab by adjuster wheel and another screwdriver to spin th adjuster wheel. Got it so it was same as the other wheels.

FWIW, I have a locking device on end of grease gun (pistol grip type) so when it's locked onto the zerk, I can easily spin the wheel w/ 1 hand and pump the grease w/ the other.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
8ntw8tn wrote:
We recently acquired a 2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS. We've owned two Carriage Cameos prior to this one but both of those had the NeverLube axles. I want to make sure the axles are adequately lubricated but I'm unsure of the procedure. Do I need to lift the wheel(s) off the ground prior to pumping the grease in? Should be a pretty easy task by using the Gigfoot system; just don't know if it's necessary. Thanks for the experienced replies.
JMO of course, but unless you're familiar with the maintenance of the trailer axles, and when the brakes were last checked, and the actual mileage of the trailer, you might want to hold off on just pumping in grease.

My trailer is the same age as yours and I also have the EZ Lube bearings. I just pulled my bearings for the first time last year and they were fine. I also checked the brakes, which is most of the reason I did the maintenance at this time. So my advice would be do, by yourself or have it done, a thorough teardown and regrease of the bearings, and check the braking surfaces while it's apart. And it will insure that you're not pumping grease into the braking area due to damage done by improper or sloppy assembly of the bearings and seals.

And also, JMO, the EZ Lube feature isn't really necessary, unless you're doing lots of traveling. If you're putting in 7,500 to 10,000 miles per year then it could be useful. Properly packed bearings are not going to go bad in any reasonable number of years or miles. I used the EZ Lube feature once in the time I've had the trailer, but my overall mileage is probably under 25,000 miles since new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned several units with easy lubes, hundreds of thousands of miles towed. We always lift and rotate to grease, we alternate colours so we know when it's got. Fresh grease. Never once blew a seal, never ever had a bearing fail. Just pulled out invoices, 19 sets of tires!
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Lift the wheel and pump in grease slowly while rotating it per the Dexter instructions and it works fine. The ones that had problems with blowing seals are the ones that did not follow the instructions. These axles are not the same as the Bearing Buddy on a boat axle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Appreciate the replies.
Det 1 56th SOWg

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I agree with the recommended procedure as described in this link.
I had those types of bearings in my previous trailer and had no problems in many years of towing using the same procedure.

The trailer in my signature has the "never lube" bearings, which are a cartridge type and they have never needed any service in over 15 years of travel. 🙂
Barney

Makes me feel better Barney. My fiver has 8k 50mm NevRlube bearings. So many really poo poo them but I have heard the 50mm are ok provided used with the prescribed zero offset wheels. I figure they must be reliable bearings since New Horizons installs them standard.

I used to use the EZ lube on my former Carriage. I'd lay the grease gun in the sun and also tried to do the job when the ambient air temps was warm or after towing. Anything to get the grease to flow better. Turn the wheel and slowly pump the grease. Good luck and safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should spin the wheel while using the EZ Lube feature. Personally, I do not use it because it can result in grease getting past the rear seal and onto the brakes. I prefer to disassemble and repack so I can inspect the brakes.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the recommended procedure as described in this link.
I had those types of bearings in my previous trailer and had no problems in many years of towing using the same procedure.

The trailer in my signature has the "never lube" bearings, which are a cartridge type and they have never needed any service in over 15 years of travel. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine