cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't deploy all stabilizers now slide doesn't fully extend

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got home about a week ago from a trip. I unhooked from the truck and ran to town for some errands. Later we opened the slides to get some things out of the kitchen and fridge. I then realized we had not put down all legs. Today my wife noticed we can not open the kitchen drawers as the slide (hydraulic) seems to come about a 1/4" from fully extending. Is it possible that I damaged something by not having all legs down when be put the slide out?
12 REPLIES 12

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your part number appears to be pump assmbly only.
Did you look on the slides to see if it is motor or cylinder operated?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
It will depend on whther your slides are hydraulic motor driven or have cylinders.
Normally a system containing cylinders, they all would be retracted.
Bleeding can be either done by opening a small bleeder valve on each cylinder or by operating the system back and forth fully extending and retracting.
Do you know make and model of your system?

The fifth wheel is a 2015 heartland cyclone 4150.

Hydraulic is lippert and model number appears to be 646882

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It will depend on whther your slides are hydraulic motor driven or have cylinders.
Normally a system containing cylinders, they all would be retracted.
Bleeding can be either done by opening a small bleeder valve on each cylinder or by operating the system back and forth fully extending and retracting.
Do you know make and model of your system?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RichB3125
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you find the manual for the hydraulic system. Some systems require you to check the fluid level with the slides in and some require the slides out.

Rich

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes, same system. I pulled the slides in and the fluid level did not go up much at all. SHould it be close to full with slides in and stabilizers raised? I am going to hook it up to the truck tomorrow and pull the stabilizer jacks in also.
Will it bleed the air out itself?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, air in the system can cause extension issues.
Fluid level with only 20-25 % may not enough to extend the slides properly. Fill to prescribed reservoir level and operate slide in and out to clear air from system.
Does your system use the same reservoir and pump for slides and jacks? If they use the same, you have air in the complete system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know it's not what you asked, but my 42 foot 5er doesn't have levelling jacks and I run the slides in and out all the time. Schwintek not hydraulic.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just checked the fluid and it. I pulled the slides in and the fluid was about 20-25% in the reservoir, or 3-4" below the fill line. I alos grought a tape measure out and found that one side is 1 also noticed that front of the slide is about an 1 1/4 further out than the back side of the slide. Would low hydraulic fluid possible cause that?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info guys. It was sitting on a level concrete pad. i did some measurements and found on side is out just over an inch farther. I'll pull the slides in a bit tomorrow and look to see if anything fell between them

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should not make any difference if all the stabilizers are down.
I'd check to see if there's anything that is blocking the slide from going completely out.
Pull in the sides about a foot/18". Look around the edges to see if something hasn't fallen in there. Last trip we had a small kleenex box get between our wall and slide out. One of the grandkids had left it in the 5er and we didn't see it.
Then look under the bottom edge. Maybe take something like a yard stick and sweep under the edge.
If you've ever dropped anything on the floor it always seems to find its way under a slide.
Camped in every state

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stab jacks or leveling jacks? They are different.

Is your camper level? If so, you shouldn't need either to open the slide.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS