cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between 2 surge protectors?

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
What's the difference between this surge protector and this one? They look very similar to me or am I missing something? Thanks for your input... :@
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
16 REPLIES 16

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
You should perhaps revisit the hard wired instal. The cost increase is not very significant and you solve your security concerns. Also you get the benefit of having a read out of the device status in your rig.

Just sayin!

You also have the advantage of dropped neutral protection if the neutral conductor fails between the pedestal and the RV's power distribution center (breaker panel). My daughter and son-in-law had a neutral conductor failure in the shore power cord of their Mobile Suites that resulted in over $7,000 in damage to 120VAC components in the RV. Since the failure was downstream of the portable protection system plugged into the pedestal that they were using at the time, the protection system didn't catch it. They now have the permanent, hardwired system that monitors power just as it goes into the RV's power distribution center that will provide protection against a failed neutral in the power cord.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
You should perhaps revisit the hard wired instal. The cost increase is not very significant and you solve your security concerns. Also you get the benefit of having a read out of the device status in your rig.

Just sayin!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee_Nomad wrote:
Thanks for the input. I'm sold on the Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. A couple hundred extra dollars is probably peanuts compared to what could be ruined...

Thanks again

You are most welcome! Check out all the positive comments and 5 star rating on the PT50C on Amazon.. There are hundreds of positive comments to ease the pain of the price! I am getting one ( PT30C) for Christmas so I am prepared next season!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'm sold on the Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. A couple hundred extra dollars is probably peanuts compared to what could be ruined...

Thanks again
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
jbstack28 wrote:
Question from still Newbie.

With the sizable $$investment hooked up how can I be comfortable that it will not walk at some time while we may not be on site?

Thanks,

With the progressive industries one, which everyone is saying is by far the best since Lifetime warranty and only one made in USA, if you go with the portable (PT30C or PT50C depending on amps needed)it has a steel ring that comes built into it that can be locked on to the pedestal with a bicycle lock and chain. I will probably run my 30 A extension cord from pedestal to the back of my TT where main cord exits and chain it on to my bumper so it is a lot less visible and tempting than it is on the pedestal. I can hide it behind my spare tire so not visible . You can also buy the 30 or 50 amp hardwired EMS from Progressive so it will be permanently wired inside your TT which will eliminate risk of theft.
Equalizer E2 hitch

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Question from still Newbie.

With the sizable $$investment hooked up how can I be comfortable that it will not walk at some time while we may not be on site?

Thanks,

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a 50AMP unit, make sure that is monitors the neutral leg and shuts off power instantly if neutral goes away. If not you will be replacing every AC device in the coach or trailer. Loss of neutral puts 240V across all of your AC devices.

This is a problem seldom talked about. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I would recommend the Progressive Industries EMS 50 amp, either portable or hardwired. Then you will have full protection. Yes, a lot more money, but a lot more protection also.

Keeping in mind of course that no surge protector / EMS can protect your rig from "everything" ... a lightning strike close enough and your rig can still suffer damage BUT you're still better off investing in the best EMS, most fully featured EMS you can afford, regardless. Here's a handy comparison chart that details many of the differences between currently available units. I chose a Progressive Industries hard wire unit for features it offers that the portable units do not - adjustable time delay and field repairability - but wired it into my coach (5 pics) using standard RV connectors so I can remove it in an instant should the need ever arise.

To the OP - forget those entry level versions and invest in the best. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
SuGar Shack wrote:
A big YES for the EMS that protects against both low and high voltage and gives constant readouts. Expensive but worth it as inverters and other electronics are even more expensive to either repair or replace.
Have used the high end EMS for several years and really like it.

Agreed! I have had mine for 8 years and it has saved my bacon at least 6 times. Mostly low voltage issues. Progressive Industries 50 amp with remote display.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

SuGar_Shack
Explorer
Explorer
A big YES for the EMS that protects against both low and high voltage and gives constant readouts. Expensive but worth it as inverters and other electronics are even more expensive to either repair or replace.
Have used the high end EMS for several years and really like it.
Gary & Susie
2006 Dynaquest Super M320
300 Cat 6 spd Allison
2010 Ford Edge Limited Toad

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Move up to the EMS level product from Progressive Industries. These devices protect against low voltage by disconnecting. The device monitors the incoming power and reactivates when the incoming power is appropriate. They also have a delay start for AC's.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I believe both wtxdxer and temccarthy1 are correct. Keep in mind that they are just what their name implies...surge protectors. I would recommend the Progressive Industries EMS 50 amp, either portable or hardwired. Then you will have full protection. Yes, a lot more money, but a lot more protection also.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
NEITHER of the surge protectors you list here will protect your TT from the biggest cause of damage-- LOW VOLTAGE which is much more common than electrical surges.. I bought a new TT last year and purchased a 30 amp surge protector for about $80 that I thought was what I needed. I have since learned from this site as well as hundreds of comments on Amazon that low voltage is very common in campgrounds due to age of pedestals, heavy usage in peaks, and bad wiring and these low voltage periods can shorten the life substantially or burn out RV A/C units, microwaves and electronic TV's and stereos. You need an electrical management system, either portable that plugs in at pedestal or hard wired inside your TT. The very best one from hundreds of comments from customers seems to be the American made Progressive Industries 30 or 50 amp models which are only ones with a Lifetime warranty! I am getting a Progressive PT30C for Christmas to replace my surge protector. They have digital readouts on volts, amps, cycles and will automatically turn off your RV power if it goes UNDER or OVER the safe limits and then will automatically reset when it is safe. They are not cheap-- The one I am getting is $259 on Amazon, but with the cost of any one of the appliances it protects in the thousands of $.. It seems like a necessity to me if you plan to hookup to CG electric... Check out the hundreds of customer comments on Amazon on the Progressive PT30C with its 5 star rating... I think you will rethink buying just a surge protector which only protects from over voltage spikes that happen way less than the under voltage periods.
Equalizer E2 hitch

wtxdxer
Explorer
Explorer
I think the SSP-50X is the new & improved version. The SSP-50 isn't shown on the Progressive Industries website.