cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disc brakes

Wanderer26
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have experience with aftermarket disc brakes on there fifth wheel ? What seems to be the biggest difference between disc brakes and the drum brakes? How much better is the braking power with disc brakes especially with mountain driving? I appreciate any responce to these questions. Iโ€™ve towed a number of travel trailers in the past but this is my first fiver.
12 REPLIES 12

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I would shy away from NevRLube. They are great until they fail. If they fail on the road you are essentially screwed because they can not be easily repaired on the road side like regular bearings that fail. I don't mind packing bearings at recommended intervals just to have a better experience in case of failure. Also do not grease regular bearings via the EasyLube method and repack the ol'fashion way-

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Out of curiosity, can a conversion be done on NevRLube axles?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I think the drum brakes are too small for the load. A 7000lb axel has 12X2 brake shoes for a 16000 gvw trailer. They should be 12X3 or better to provide adequate brake power. If that were the case drum would perform well until over-heated which translates to fade or become wet. I would be much cheaper to install 12X3 drum brakes and drums than disk brakes if one can manage to avoid fade and water. the 8000 lb axels have the larger drum brakes and upgrade to 8000 lb axels would be a good option as well for 15000+ gvw trailers.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Have had Titan Disc Brakes for the past year. The biggest improvement having had two seals fail on the Dexter Drum Brakes is I have no worries about hidden greased drum brakes. On the rotors I can see the seals anytime Iโ€™m under the trailer.

On the brake performance, as others have noted, they stop in less distance. The easiest place I see this is when doing the Pull Test. On the drum brakes it would move some when applying trailer brakes manually, with disc, it doesnโ€™t move an inch.

I have disc brakes on the truck and wouldnโ€™t go back to drums, wonโ€™t on the trailer as well!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
On our previous 2012 Montana I installed Kodiak disc brakes myself buying the parts from trailer.com. Total cost in early 2017 was $1550.00 and included replacing all bearings with Timkens made in USA, Money was WELL spent and no special tools/skills were required. A friend had the same done by MorRyde and cost him $3500.00. Will probably do our current 2018 Montana soon the same way.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Wanderer26
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that answered. I knew you folks would help. I will be checking out PERDORMANCE TRAILER BRAKING. Again thanks a million

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderer26 wrote:
Does anybody have experience with aftermarket disc brakes on there fifth wheel ? What seems to be the biggest difference between disc brakes and the drum brakes? How much better is the braking power with disc brakes especially with mountain driving? I appreciate any responce to these questions. Iโ€™ve towed a number of travel trailers in the past but this is my first fiver.

I had Performance Trailer Braking do my trailer. They will come to you and install them. Absolutely love the disc brakes.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderer26 wrote:

I posted last week regarding disc brakes. Try the search for more info
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consistency of braking force is far better both overall and between the wheels. Always questioned how well the drums would do on a panic stop. Have seemed sluggish and have had lock-up. No such worry with disks as the controller is set just less than lock-up and is repeatable every time.

I had experienced some fade coming out of Death Valley with my drums. No fade with the disks and I rode them harder.

If you have ever driven an old car from the '60s with four wheel drums you know how much better disk is.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
After market disk brakes here. I installed myself to get the lines perfect.
There is NO comparison. Had to reduce the gain on my IBC.
If I want to I can lock up all 4 wheels!!
Stops as good or better than the truck solo.
I will never be without them again.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have "after-market" disk brakes on our 14K fifth wheel. It stops in less than 1/2 the distance it did with the drum brakes. No contest.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
never here. but if they work even half as good as the "factory" instaled do, can only be a great improvment over drum..

when i buy my montana, the first $$ thing will be disk brakes.
now if air can be done i would go that rt. even do air bags to replace the hard leaf springs.
but then i am a class A driver so work with that now, so i do know how good they can be.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun