cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a Duelly ?

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, getting very close to making the plunge. Buying a 40 foot Montana model 3791RD. Empty weight 13225, loaded 16960. My question is do I have to have a Duelly? Or can I get away with a 2500. Hope to go everywhere, include out west. Fairly new at RVing just do not want to over do, nor leave myself with limitations where I can go.

Also what is Hitch, mine is 2960. Is this weight put on the Hitch in my truck?

Thanks so much,

Charlie Stackpole
Montana 2015 3791RD
(no Truck yet)
34 REPLIES 34

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A SRW 1 ton MIGHT have sufficient GVWR and rear Axle GAWR to carry the pin weight, but I would not use anything less than a 1 ton dually.

You will see folks pulling larger 5th wheels with 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW trucks and they will tell you that they do fine. If you ask these folks about the weights, they do not have a clue as to the weights, but they will tell you that once they added the air bags, it did not squat so bad.

If you are dead-set on using a 3/4 ton truck, you need to cut your trailer looking back to a 32' max length...They are usually within the weight limits.

I recommend that you read up on all of the tow ratings and understand them. You cannot us the truck manufacturers Maximum Tow Ratings as they are inflated. And forget the trailers dry weight...a useless weight unless you plan to never add supplies to the trailer.\

And a Dully is a knife that is not sharp.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
Dully...

What is a Dully?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That's what dually's are designed for! Sit back, enjoy the drive!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the truck towing specs from the manufacturer and read them. Don't accept personal opinions, get the facts. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
HR

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Dully...
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Take everyone's GOOD SOUND ADVISE!!!! don't settle for anything less than a 3500 Diesel dually with a 8' box, get an exhaust brake if you can, with a dually you get fantastic tracking and control, you'll be ready for anything! I just cringe when I see these big fiver owner's hauling with those lil' trucks, they can't not know it's not safe. I gatta' newby here that has a 40' 16.000+ fiver using a Chevy 2500 SRW that the previous owner told him that's all the truck he'll need, I'm just glad I'll be on my lot in Florida a week before he leaves Canada, going through the blue ridge mountains should be a real eye-opener for him!

Red Green:
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're
all in this together

Yup! It really makes me sick to see people unknowingly have way too much tail for the dog!

Then it pizzes me off when people knowingly tow way too much for their TV.

Every year along I-10 I see several 2500's towing their big toy haulers laying on their side. I am sure they all said "it tows just fine" !

When I towed with my 98 RAM/Cummins 2500 4X4 with a combined weight of 20.5K I knew that was the safe limit. I could have added bags and 19.5's and towed my current 36' MS but I knew it was not the right thing to do.

It's been said on here many times "ya just don't know until you have towed with a Dually" !!!

Thanks for the great answer, that is really putting it into perspective. Between the roll-over reference to the Too much tail for my Dog reference. Well said. Thanks

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Next door to us has a SB 2500 03 GMC towing a 34ft plus 3 slide Montana fifth and it tows just fine but he talks about his white knuckles when the fifth is pushing him around. He laughs at our dually.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Take everyone's GOOD SOUND ADVISE!!!! don't settle for anything less than a 3500 Diesel dually with a 8' box, get an exhaust brake if you can, with a dually you get fantastic tracking and control, you'll be ready for anything! I just cringe when I see these big fiver owner's hauling with those lil' trucks, they can't not know it's not safe. I gatta' newby here that has a 40' 16.000+ fiver using a Chevy 2500 SRW that the previous owner told him that's all the truck he'll need, I'm just glad I'll be on my lot in Florida a week before he leaves Canada, going through the blue ridge mountains should be a real eye-opener for him!

Red Green:
all in this together

Yup! It really makes me sick to see people unknowingly have way too much tail for the dog!

Then it pizzes me off when people knowingly tow way too much for their TV.

Every year along I-10 I see several 2500's towing their big toy haulers laying on their side. I am sure they all said "it tows just fine" !

When I towed with my 98 RAM/Cummins 2500 4X4 with a combined weight of 20.5K I knew that was the safe limit. I could have added bags and 19.5's and towed my current 36' MS but I knew it was not the right thing to do.

It's been said on here many times "ya just don't know until you have towed with a Dually" !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dually, not duelly. The links I provided do not help?

Sorry I had overlooked. will check them out. Thanks,

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dually, not duelly. The links I provided do not help?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
Ok that is what I thought. Thanks to everyone's Quick and informational responses.
To expand on the question. I had a 3500 dodge previously with a fifth wheel.
It was not a 'Duelly'. Do I have to have that wider base, and additional Rubber on the road to be the safest?

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer

Red Green:
all in this together
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Advantage/disadvantage dually
dually or no 2011
More dually w/5er 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
The short of it is with a 5th wheel you run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. A 17,000# GVW trailer will put 20% or 3,400+/- 300# in the bed of your truck. If have washer/dryer or generator in the trailer it can be even higher. You are NOT in 2500 territory. A 3500 truck will weight about 8,000# add 4,000# for passengers and pin weight and you'll need a truck with a GVWR of 12,000# or higher. GWVR is listed on a tag inside the drivers door. A new 3500 SRW might have a GVWR that high but truck older than 3-4 years will not. Example my 2004 F350 DRW is only a 11,500# GVWR. The new ones I believe are around 14,000# GVWR.

Good luck.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winged One wrote:
btd35 wrote:
You need a dually. Mine is same demensions. I pulled it with a SRW once. It's fine on the straight, but get on a curvy road and it feels like the trailer wants to push the back end over. Not a nice feeling.

+1 No question.

X2 You will have close to 4,000 pounds on the pin when loaded.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore