cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you always have to pay inside at Truck stops?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
This may be a silly question and forgive me if it's been asked and answered before. Do you always have to go inside to pay at truck stops? Being my first diesel (my other RV's were gas MH's) I find it easier just to use truck stops instead of trying to navigate a regular gas station pulling the FW. But the card reader obviously doesn't work for non-commercial drivers. I've looked at memberships and reward cards but it still seems like these only offer a discount but you still have to go in and pay. Not a huge deal, but is there a way for non commercial drivers to just pay at the pump? And what other benefits are there for a card with Flying J, Pilot etc? Is it worth having a card with all of them?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
33 REPLIES 33

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Good Sam Discount Card depends on you member status, Life members get 8 cents per gal on Diesel and I think 6 cents on Gas. If not a Lifer it's less but know exact amounts.

So $.08 per gallon discount and you debit your account is what i am hearing. Don't see that as being a good deal. I use my Costco Visa and get 4% off so at $5 per gallon that would be $.20 per gallon.

Maybe I am missing something.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I would add that in many cases a regular gas station with truck pumps are often in the area of the flying j's at those station you can save a lot more than using the truck stops places. Also if you do need DEF than a truck stop can save you a lot as opposed to buying it in a jug from their stores.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Sam Discount Card depends on you member status, Life members get 8 cents per gal on Diesel and I think 6 cents on Gas. If not a Lifer it's less but know exact amounts.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
The TSD/Open road card works great. https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The Good Sam card works pretty good though at Pilot/Flying J. No need to go inside. Automatic debit."

How much discount are you getting?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Never pass up a Buc-ees. Cheapest fuel and best shopping. Good food. No tramps in the parking lot. Never had an issue getting a spot.
The Good Sam card works pretty good though at Pilot/Flying J. No need to go inside. Automatic debit.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
There are semi drivers that are worse than RVers at the truck stops....ask me how I know.....one that comes to mind: 2 truckers were BSing with their cells phones, when I asked them if the one blocking me could move up, he just looked at me, and continued BSing with the driver next to him....I had to back up and change lanes.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
OverNightSensation wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get a fuel card! I got a TSD Logistics EFS card last year. It works at most all the truck stop pumps and gets a discount if available.

You have to link to a bank account and payment is automatically deducted from your account within a day or two. Just set up a extra bank account to use for it and only keep fuel $ in it.
The name changed recently to Open Roads.

Link - https://myopenroads.com/

You only need to go inside if you want a receipt or snacks. (my wife is much happier!)

What percentage discount? Costco Visa is 4%.

From the website - By joining our program you will have access to discount diesel prices at specified locations such as Loves and Travel Centers of America. Current members are saving 30 to 40 cents per gallon off the pump price. There are no signup fees or membership fees to join. There are no long-term contracts to sign and no hidden fees.

Note: not all stops offer that large of a discount, they have an app to track real time price after discount at participating stops so you can decide where to go. Just checked the local Petro #57 in New Paris, Ohio. Shows the price with card is $4.112. Loves #222 3 exits away is 4.969 with card! Pump Patrol says Fuel is 5.24 at Loves not using the card. Petro is not listed.

Great info, thanks for sharing!
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get a fuel card! I got a TSD Logistics EFS card last year. It works at most all the truck stop pumps and gets a discount if available.

You have to link to a bank account and payment is automatically deducted from your account within a day or two. Just set up a extra bank account to use for it and only keep fuel $ in it.

You only need to go inside if you want a receipt or snacks. (my wife is much happier!)

From the website - By joining our program you will have access to discount diesel prices at specified locations such as Loves and Travel Centers of America. Current members are saving 30 to 40 cents per gallon off the pump price. There are no signup fees or membership fees to join. There are no long-term contracts to sign and no hidden fees.

Note: not all stops offer that large of a discount, they have an app to track real time price after discount at participating stops so you can decide where to go. Just checked the local Petro #57 in New Paris, Ohio. Shows the price with card is $4.112. Loves #222 3 exits away is 4.969 with card! Pump Patrol says Fuel is 5.24 at Loves not using the card. Petro is not listed.
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III

2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
First to the OP's question, sometimes your card will read.
As to being trapped, well the last Loves I got DEF in I had to back out of. Because the driver ahead was still MIA after I went in paid for and pumped my DEF.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

I've been "stuck" in the trucker lane for 30+ minutes after fueling was done... Once your at the pump, your choices are nill with trucks behind you..

Once they pull forward and go inside the store to shop, use the bathroom, eat, whatever you are there till they leave.

I do look for Flying J's and their RV islands..... usually much faster... USUALLY, not always :S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I don't know why people go to fuel at the truck stop they more expensive than regular gas station.

I have to assume you do not RV with a trailer or Class A RV:)