cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you do this

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thru taking the fiver out for the winter. Probably won't go out again for 5 months at least. Do you raise your rv so the weight is off the tires? I never have in the past, but at the price of tires today, I'm thinking I'll start. And do you put a pair of jack stands under each axle? I've read that this might ever so slightly bend the axle when left for months. So where would you put the stand not to do damage?
rich
36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
I have never lifted any of my TTs or 5ers tires off the ground when in storage from Oct. to May. My brother in law lifts his 5er and then takes the tires off for the winter. To each his own.

I would thing just covering them would accomplish the same thing. You need to have a talk with him :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Buy QUALITY tires. I never cover or lift. I am in the Sun all the time.

That would mean Sailun S637's , correct ??? :B . That would be the best bang for the buck !!!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:
Would not even think of doing al that horsing around. ๐Ÿ˜‰

X2 In 40+ years of RVing I have had 1 tire failure. Air up and cover tires and park on gravel or old mud flaps is all I do.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Would not even think of doing al that horsing around. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have never lifted any of my TTs or 5ers tires off the ground when in storage from Oct. to May. My brother in law lifts his 5er and then takes the tires off for the winter. To each his own.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first couple years I lifted it & supported it by the frame. Don't know why. Lots of vehicles spend lots of time in storage & always on their wheels. No harm. I make sure that tires are at proper pressure. That is it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Another nope from me

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think supporting the trailer by the frame over winter is a good idea even though I've never bothered with it. I blow the water lines out, disconnect the batteries and don't look at it again from September 1 till about the middle of June.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
I will guess you are concerned about flat spots on your tires. My understanding is that it is not an issue with radial tires but was for bias ply.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I never have lifted tires, however, I do inflate a few pounds over their limit. I like the idea of moving the trailer a bit. I also re-inflate as winter wears on and tire pressure drops.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I store with all 6 jacks down. How much weight is really on the tires?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Never have. Last set of tires replaced after 8 years due to age. Parked on crushed rock in covered storage and typically never moved from late Oct til April. And they still looked nearly new with about 22,000 miles on them.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
Goodyear says to increase tire pressure 25% for long term storage.

I use this idea, but I only increase 10 percent. I know that cold weather, will decrease the pressure, as warm does increase. Towing at speed raises pressure a lot. IMO, I think maintaining a stiffer sidewall helps for long term storage.

Me, I'd not get carried away lifting/supporting. I'd buy better tires, or replace more often, if I was concerned.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I used to do stuff like that but stopped a few years ago. Nothing bad has happened so far!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear says to increase tire pressure 25% for long term storage.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE