cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you unhook for the night?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I’m curious, When you stop for the night at Walmart, Park etc do you unhook? With my fifth wheel I have to open a small bedroom slide with the dresser and a large slide with the kitchen table and theater seating. Both on the park side of the Coach.

What do you guys do? Do you stay hitched and deploy the jacks?
61 REPLIES 61

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unhook, refuel. Rehook depends on location and weather forecast. I refuel every stop and I don't drive at night. I prefer to stay at Sam's Clubs and they have yet to have a problem with whatever I do.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks up, trailer hooked up, slides in, and ready to roll.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I understand the emergency aspect if someone with you is ailing and may require attention. Other then that I can’t see the advantage? To me it’s like the RVer I met who never put out his awning because the wind could blow.

JUSTWORK
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Always unhooked when staying a campground. I stayed one night only (ever!) in a WalMart. I still unhooked and left truck about 6" forward from trailer hitch. Just felt if I needed the truck for an emergency or to get away, I could go.

Same here, like the idea of the truck ready to roll in a hurry in the middle of the night if needed.

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with pets and make a effort not to use those overnight spots but when we do so we stay hitched with the jacks down for support and stability.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
If we are just staying overnight we’ll stay hooked up. But we’ll crank up the tongue jack if necessary to take a little jiggle out of the trailer when walking around.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Mondooker wrote:
I have a new Ford F-350.

Great...leave it plugged in if you want. Not to mention, you have the best IBC out there, best mirrors, and best looking truck too!:C Only question now do you have the B&W for Ford OEM puck system?

Jerry

Dang you are on a roll. Sound like me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Again winner-winner-chicken-dinner! I did have the Ford puck hitch system installed.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mondooker wrote:
I have a new Ford F-350.

Great...leave it plugged in if you want. Not to mention, you have the best IBC out there, best mirrors, and best looking truck too!:C Only question now do you have the B&W for Ford OEM puck system?

Jerry

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Ford F-350.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I leave the truck hooked up at a Walmart. Slides out unless it's really cold or snowing - then they're in.

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We do not unhook for overnight stops when traveling long distance. One of the other reasons we went with a dually. We too unplug from the truck.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^ Yes, Ford has built in protection. Just another reason to get the blue oval for towing RVs. 🙂 Does the OP have a Ford?? Hard to say on the Rams, if you call to ask, you will need to speak Spanish.

Jerry

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, It Depends. If hooked to shore power and have a GM the RV's converter will actually be putting a charge into the TV Batteries while also charging the RV's. If not on shore power you would be draining the TV's batteries also. I believe with Fords there is a battery isolater on the charge line between the TV & RV, so no issues hooked up or not. Rams I know nothing about.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint