Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram 5th wheel hitch prep

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I looked at a new Dodge Ram 2500HD today that came with the 5th wheel hitch prep. From what I can tell this involves 4 holes to mount the rails but it had one center hole as well. It also included the pin box to connect the pigtail up in the box of the truck.

The salesman said it will save time and money as everything is there except the hitch.

Does anyone have this feature and what does it really mean to me? What is required to mount a 5th wheel hitch? The holes looked pretty big.

Also if I'm going to get a new hitch what is the easiest AND safest hitch out there today? My current hitch can be difficult to pull the lever to get unhitched. I have some weakness from a stroke and would be looking for something a little easier to use if one exists.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rconkin wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Mine came with the hitch from Dodge 25K"

To add a bit more info, if the truck has the prep it's a RAM been so since 2013. Also the RAM hitch is actually a CURT.

Ram Trucks - Wikipedia

Actually Ram since 2010, just to clarify.

NOT true!!! Legally they became RAM in 2013. My 11 and my Dads 12 both said Dodge ONE place for legal reasons in the center of the dash.

They started the process then but that takes time.

" Ram Truck Division, is a United States-based brand of light to mid-weight commercial vehicles established in 2010"

Notice the word "established".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you have health issues I would go to the Andersen Ultimate or PullRite 2600. Both use the gooseneck ball in the center hole of the factory puck system. Both are light and fairly easy to remove from the truck bed. I went with the PullRite mostly because it was $100 cheaper and I liked the pin locking function better.
http://www.pullrite.com/2600

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3220--aluminum-ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-2-gooseneck-version.aspx
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

To add a bit more info, if the truck has the prep it's a RAM been so since 2013. Also the RAM hitch is actually a CURT.

Ram Trucks - Wikipedia

Actually Ram since 2010, just to clarify.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bobz89013
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with the hitch from Dodge 25K. Just drop it in lock it down and done, mine is also an 8' bed. Best thing about the puck system is if you need to haul something other than your RV, heaven forbid, it comes out and gives you access to the full bed without the rails being in the way.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
the ball and chain points ae not included cost 250.00 from dodge

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowingman wrote:
Just bought a 2016 Ram with the 5th wheel prep. The puck system is all included, just look under the 4 plastic covers. I bought a B&W hitch assembly just like the one shown above. It hooked right into the factory setup.
The 5th hole, in the middle over the axle, has a plastic cover, but there should be nothing under that cover. It is drilled so you can install a gooseneck hitch of your choice. That type of hitch will require the mounting plates that fit onto the frame rails, then the ball will stick up through the factory-drilled hole. B&W also makes a turnover ball assy. to fit that truck. Then, you could also get the B&W 5th wheel hitch that mounts into the turnover ball socket. If you do that, you do not need the model shown in the above photo.

If you have the prep the center hole is for a gooseneck trailer connection and the hardware IS there to connect a gooseneck trailer to with the ball provided that's in your truck somewhere.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowingman wrote:
Just bought a 2016 Ram with the 5th wheel prep. The puck system is all included, just look under the 4 plastic covers. I bought a B&W hitch assembly just like the one shown above. It hooked right into the factory setup.
The 5th hole, in the middle over the axle, has a plastic cover, but there should be nothing under that cover. It is drilled so you can install a gooseneck hitch of your choice. That type of hitch will require the mounting plates that fit onto the frame rails, then the ball will stick up through the factory-drilled hole. B&W also makes a turnover ball assy. to fit that truck. Then, you could also get the B&W 5th wheel hitch that mounts into the turnover ball socket. If you do that, you do not need the model shown in the above photo.

Factory prep includes a gooseneck hitch in the 5th hole. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, get the one in the picture (B&W Companion 3600). It is easy to install, easy to use, no effort to pull cam action release arm, even with one arm, to open, including at severe angles. It comes apart in two pieces, but the base may be a little heavy for you alone, due to your health issues.

It is also safe to use, easy to SEE when hitched properly, cannot open when arm is closed and pinned.

The FW prep, puck system is the best option for installing a hitch! It is also a bargain price, when installed from factory.

Jerry

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BEST standard hitch on the market is pictured above. Simple solid NO question if you are hitched. No issue with hitching or unhitching when at an angle or RV and TV are on different planes.

BTW it's a RAM, been so since 2013.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A picture frame is not required - in fact you don't need one at all. Fifth wheel hitches are made specifically to fit into the puck system. You have to specify the vehicle manufacturer since they are not standard across brands. Look at Etrailer.com

Clicky

A picture frame might come in handy if you have a newer truck with the puck system, and an old fifth wheel hitch that needs rails to mount it - although I'm no expert on the subject - others will chime in I'm sure.

I recently bought the slider version of the B&W Companion pictured, and I'm very happy with it - very easy to operate.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The four holes are the "puck" system which uses a Picture frame that the hitch fastens to. The center hole is the gooseneck prep.

If you look down in the holes you will see that they are rectangular cut, the picture frame has four matching pins which drop into those rectangular holes like a skeleton key. Each pin has a handle and is rotated 90 degrees and locks in place, that keeps the pin from coming up out of the hole.

The actual hitch attaches to the picture frame. There are different manufacturers and styles that use the puck system. Here is one example.

I used the factory picture frame and an superglide automatic sliding hitch because I have a short bed truck and a 102" wide flat front old style FW.

Some FW have rounded front ends so some choose to not use a sliding hitch.