cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic awning malfunction

doxieparents
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1 year old Silverback which has an electric awning. The indoor mechanism to extend and retract the awning has worked perfectly until last night when my husband pressed the switch to extend it and he could only hear a clicking sound. It would not extend. He checked the battery voltage as well as the battery fluids. Both were good. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help.
4 REPLIES 4

doxieparents
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. My husband spoke with a technician and it sounds like it is the motor and the motor has been recalled. So...Dometic is sending a motor and we have an appointment to get it replaced next week!!!

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Also if it is the motor dont move the fiver until you zip tie the awning arms together.The awning can unroll while driving and I dont have to tell you what could happen if that happened.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacture dates for those recalled are Feb. 2013 to April 2013. Serial numbers between 306XXXX and 314XXXX. Mine was in that group but entire awning was replaced anyways do to a faulty LED light strip thats part of the housing.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the motor might have went.There is a recall by dometic on certain dometic electric awning motors built during a certain time frame.(manufacture date). Recalled for exact symtoms you have,broken gears.Mine was one of them.Dometic sent a tech to my house to replace it.My brother had a recalled motor but motor died while extended..Had to have it replaced at c/g.

Anyways thats just a thought.The clicking you hear tells me it may be a broken gear in motor but hard to say.Sounds like you are getting power so thats not it.Its really a simple design so if its not electric it must be mechanical related.

Oh and btw my rv is a 2014 so yours may fall within that date too.Dometic will want the numbers off the sticker on the roller tube to verify effected unit...I didnt receive anything in mail about recall.I only knew about it via my brother whos broke as I stated.