Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic Refridgerator
Model # RM3862
Pr3oduct# 92114659
Ser# 20900070
2.7 amp
Just wondering if I have to buy a new unit or is there something I can do to breathe life back into it? Fuses are good. I have power. Nothing burnt or smelling like it.
We got a lot of rain and the fifth wheel became 1/4 bubble off level according to the fridge level. Thanks for any ideas.
17 REPLIES 17

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
I found their customer service beneficial in troubleshooting the problems with mine.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly? I checked the connections and they looked okay.
Well, thanks again to everyone for the input.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it's fixed then. Intermittent problems are usually bad electrical connections. Maybe something like Corrosion-X sprayed on connections will keep it from returning.

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Temperature for the fridge was 50's-60's. Freezer was 30's.
Now fridge is 30's and freezer is 0*- 10*

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Celticman wrote:
Well, I don't know.... Everything is working. Everything checked okay. I went ahead and replaced the 2 fuses but the fridge had already started cooling down.
Perhaps a cooling unit blockage?
Thanks again for the input.

Hard to guess without some info about what was happening. Both compartments not cooling or not cooling enough? What temperatures were you seeing?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I don't know.... Everything is working. Everything checked okay. I went ahead and replaced the 2 fuses but the fridge had already started cooling down.
Perhaps a cooling unit blockage?
Thanks again for the input.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Celticman wrote:
Power cord is hot and fuses are good.

Lower circuit board.....bottom right side are 2 black leads that are for the heater element
They connect at J7 & J8
One is 120V AC HOT and other is Neutral/Common

Typically 'odd' are HOT and 'even' are Neutral/Grounds
So with Fridge in 'AUTO' and temp warm enough for thermostat to call for a cooling cycle....J7 should be HOT

Check resistance of element when measured at the 2 leads 44 ohms

Should have continuity when measured at the 2 leads

Dometic 3850644422 Heater Element

On Edit:
Flue warm.....element is 325W and should generate 350*F temps in order to boil the liquid ammonia into a vapor

IF element checks good
Then unplug fridge temp sensor leads (Thermistor)
Left side P2 connector....2 White leads

Run fridge for 12 hrs and check temps in freeze & food compartment.
Should be 10*F/lower in freezer and 38*F/lower in food compartment

This will test that cooling unit is functioning
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
The flue is warm to the touch, so I'm unsure about the heat element being bad. I may take it out to have a look see. Maybe I'll change the fuses anyway. At this point I'm thinking control board.

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
Power cord is hot and fuses are good.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It is not going to cost much to test it on propane and they don't use a lot anyway. The hot water heater and floor heaters use far more.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK ....
So the 120V AC is NOT working

Have to start at outlet fridge power cord is plugged into
Does it work? (plug ANY 120V AC item into it and verify it is hot)
If NO..check for tripped 120V AC Circuit Breaker
IF YES
Then need to check the AC Fuse on the lower circuit board
Glass Fuse....5a most likely
Is fuse Good....120V AC on Both sides of fuse?
If NO...replace fuse and replace heat element
If YES...then need to check that you have AC Voltage on circuit board where the Electric Heat Element leads connect.

Typically when no cooling on AC
It is bad heat element
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no refrigerator guy so I'm somewhat out of my area, so forgive me if I don't know proper terminology. I took the access panel off again. The pipes are cool above the "bottle"; I'm guessing the refrigerant. The pipes below the "bottle" are a little warm as is the "bottle" itself as is the rectifier (ammonia exchange).

Celticman
Explorer
Explorer
All display lights work as does the interior light. Wires and fuses are good. No ammonia smell. Was working well until yesterday. The Fridge is original to the unit, it is a 2002 fifth wheel.

I haven't tried it on gas as propane is expensive here. I was wondering if control board or relay.

My multi meter has a broken wire so I've not been able to check things as I'd like.
Not much daylight when I get home from work.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
New units can be very expensive unless you are thinking about a residential unit. As stated earlier if there is/was no ammonia smell and there is no yellow powdery residue around the gas burner (indicates a cooling unit leak) than a repair will be A LOT less expensive and less invasive than a replacement. Even if there is an ammonia smell or yellow residue it will still be a lot less expensive to repair.
If the cooling unit is ok then there isnโ€™t much else left.
Control board, Blown fuse, Rodents ate wires, all fairly inexpensive.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic