cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump valve replacement gone bad

mielock
Explorer
Explorer
I was mostly concerned about how to get a new dump valve in place with seals intact between two immovable objects until I tried to remove the faulty one, which I did not succeed. After removing the 4 bolts, the valve will spin, but the amount of force I applied to unseat it with no outward movement made me stop and ask for help. I've watched YouTube videos that show one or both sides of the valve to have flexibility in the plumbing, but for me, absolutely zero flex. The plumbing on either side of the valve is not moving anywhere. Any suggestions how to remove the valve and get the new one installed without seal issues?

2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Sabre 31RETS
21 REPLIES 21

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
In this instance, Fernco fittings can be drastically shortened with no ill effects.
magic43

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer
Something that works really good for cracks in pipes is Gorilla Tape. Clean it good and rough it up a little with sandpaper. It will last for a long time until you can replace the cracked pipe.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
But I am thinking that maybe downstream of that fitting shown there would be room to install the Fernco coupling. OOPS me and op were at it sat the same time.

mielock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, which is much appreciated. As a result of the suggestions, I've determined that I can cut a 3" pipe that tees into the main outlet on the opposite side. It will be about 2' of loose pipe to handle, but at least I know it'll work. Thanks again for all who chimed in.
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Sabre 31RETS

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
In mielock's case, looking at the picture, there doesn't appear to be enough room to install a 3" Fernco coupling. The length of the existing 3" pipe is too short between the bell ends of flanged fitting for the one side of the knife valve and the next pipe fitting.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" I would likely cut the 3" drain pipe with a saw and reconnect using a 3" fernco connector"

EXACTLY!

I would NOT slide metal between the parts you could scratch the mating surfaces and cause a sealing problem with the new valve.

CUT THE PIPE!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Halmfamily wrote:
therink wrote:
If it were me and I couldn't loosen the drain pipe enough to get flex to unseat the valve, I would likely cut the 3" drain pipe with a saw and reconnect using a 3" fernco connector.
The use of aluminum flashing between the valve seats to remove and reinstall is good advice.

This is how I replaced my 3" valve. Much easier to do if you need access in the future, loosen the two clamps and pull the pipe apart.

This is what I did too. The other advantage is you can control the tightness of the valve connection (i.e. the pressure from the 3" pipe which squeezes the valve housing) to ensure it isn't difficult to open.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I second the motion about adding a 3" Fernco fitting. It makes future valve work a snap.
magic43

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP will still have his leak at the tank. It would better oin the long run to have a professional remove all the gunk, fix the inlet Grommet with one of the tank grommets and replace the valve.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
If it were me and I couldn't loosen the drain pipe enough to get flex to unseat the valve, I would likely cut the 3" drain pipe with a saw and reconnect using a 3" fernco connector.
The use of aluminum flashing between the valve seats to remove and reinstall is good advice.

This is how I replaced my 3" valve. Much easier to do if you need access in the future, loosen the two clamps and pull the pipe apart.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
24fb freedom wrote:
Try looking further down the line to see if there is any brackets you can remove to give it some play.

Been there, done that - loosen brackets to allow movement.

Might be time to re-engineer the entire tank & plumbing set-up.

Whether you drop the tank or not.....
A "standard" (not remote) valve closer to the final exit section
of 3" pipe is great "old school" - easy to access for anything!..:C

X2!

I have a leaky grey water valve, the drains on my grey and black tank face each other and connect to a "Y" between the tanks.
I used the I got one of the exit valves, and for now that works, but I really want to correct the valve issue and replace it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
24fb freedom wrote:
Try looking further down the line to see if there is any brackets you can remove to give it some play.

Been there, done that - loosen brackets to allow movement.

Might be time to re-engineer the entire tank & plumbing set-up.

Whether you drop the tank or not.....
A "standard" (not remote) valve closer to the final exit section
of 3" pipe is great "old school" - easy to access for anything!..:C

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Best have some more epoxy on hand..by the time you get that valve out and new in you leak will be back.

Drain line is too rigid hence the hairline crack at tank connection.

Line should be supported but have a little flex to absorb road vibrations.
As suggested...check for bracing that can be loosen/removed on line downstream to allow for some movement.

Have you seen the new two piece tanks that slide back and forth in the rails I have had several that the top seams are broken on from the slidding

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best have some more epoxy on hand..by the time you get that valve out and new in you leak will be back.

Drain line is too rigid hence the hairline crack at tank connection.

Line should be supported but have a little flex to absorb road vibrations.
As suggested...check for bracing that can be loosen/removed on line downstream to allow for some movement.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31