cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Awning Cleaning

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
My old fiver had a manual awning so when it came to washing it, I could disconnect the side braces and make the awning vertical. Made it easy to scrub. My new fiver has the electric awning and its way on up there. Does anyone know of a simple way to get to the top for washing or do I go ahead and invest in an 8 foot stepladder.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES
7 REPLIES 7

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I spray mine down, spray tilex on it and roll it up for 30 minutes or so. Unroll it and spray it down again and it looks like new, no scrubbing needed.

X-2. I have also mixed dish washing soap and bleach (10% each) with 80% water. Spray on, roll up for 15 to 20 minutes, and the awning will look like new again. No scrubbing required. In fact I just cleaned mine yesterday.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Home Depot (or any box store) and got a gallon of 30 seconds( now have enough for 3 more times) mixed as directed for,cloth, opened the awning, tilted it down to the lowest then sprayed it on the underside. Rolled,it up for,the 3 minutes it said for cloth, unrolled it and rinsed. I was amazed all the small mildew spots were no longer there, no,scrubbing
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
I clean mine with a magic eraser mop.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I spray mine down, spray tilex on it and roll it up for 30 minutes or so. Unroll it and spray it down again and it looks like new, no scrubbing needed.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
If climbing onto the roof isn't a problem for you, this is how I do it: get up there with a hose, a bucket of bleach and water (I go about 25/75), and an expandable brush from Home Depot. I rinse off the awning and then soak it with the bleach/water mixture (careful to keep off the roof) and roll it up. After 5-10 minutes, I open it up again and rinse the awning off. Sometimes 2 or 3 applications, but it comes out nice and clean. Then I go underneath and hit the spots with the brush that didn't come clean. It takes awhile, but I don't mind. Having a dirty awning, especially on the bottom, is something I notice all the time. This method is close to what is recommended by the awning manufacturer.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My electric awning tilts down on both ends. I use a long handle, about 90"s, with a scrubby turned on the end. I also turn a nice soft bristle brush on same handle for washing FW. In any case, a FW owner should have an 8' step ladder for home use. I use a 7' folding step ladder while camping.

Many folks just spray various cleaners on, roll up for a time, then hose off.

Jerry

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I open up awning and use a garden spray'r and squirt the fabric with dawn soap suds. Then pull awning in, then finish washing that side, then extend awning and hose off, let dry, then fold in. Works for me.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"