cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Fire Places

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed an electric fire place in their F/W an are you happy with it...
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
32 REPLIES 32

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the type of weather you camp in. For us, in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, it is probably the most used item in our trailer.The air conditioner gets turned on about once a year to see if it still works.
Our fireplace (supplied with the trailer) did short out after 10 years and of course the the manufacturer was out of business. I replaced it with a dimplex.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Works great. It saves propane. Because the bedroom is usually up front and higher than the rest of the trailer (heat rises) the bedroom stays warm.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
our is very useful we use it in cold weather whenever we are in a campground with hookups, we do a lot of boondocking , it heats the camper without the use of the propane furnace, and is built in so itโ€™s out of the way and no cords to trip over.
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2, 1 in the LR and other in BR. Like others, we also love them. Funny thing is, we cannot use both at same time, but can run 2 A/C's at same time------oh well. Depending on temp, we leave the BR on at night, and then turn it off and switch on the LR one. Stay in bed awhile longer so LR/kit area has a chance to warm up some. If really cold, will still use BR fireplace and turn finance on too.

Many moons ago DW and I saw a fireplace in BR of a "Triumph"(?????) brand RV and thought that was coooooooool. See that Alliance RV's have fireplaces that pull out for storage behind them. Do believe that if we ever get another coach, it too will have at least 1 fireplace.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Dimplex every day during the winter. It works great and puts out enough heat that I virtually never use my propane furnace except those nights when it will be well below freezing and I need a bit of heat in my underbelly for the pipes, etc. Of course I am a camp host and have free electricity so heating for me is cheap. Oh no, I have to go to work today! Oh well.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are considering using an RV park where you pay for power, think hard about it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ivbinconned wrote:
We have one too and we use it. Only complaint is that it is on same circuit as plug we use for coffee maker. Oh the hard ships.

I feel your pain :B

Our TT's kitchen had 2 outlets but they were on the same circuit. Since the breaker panel (50A) was nearby, I installed a new breaker and ran a wire to one of those outlets. Now I can run the coffee maker on one and the waffle iron on the other.
Life is good again.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one too and we use it. Only complaint is that it is on same circuit as plug we use for coffee maker. Oh the hard ships.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Milt
Explorer
Explorer
I put one in a previous trailer. We liked it better than the one built into the new one. Current built in is facing the opposite side and that's where the heat goes. The one I installed was placed in the back by removing a small coffee table between two chairs facing the front of the trailer so the heat travelled the length and did better providing heat.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The fire place produces the exact same 1500 Watts or 5100 BTUH on the 15 amp circuit that a 1500 Watt ceramic heater produces. It is a big expensive space waster that is fixed to one location. I would rather have the storage space and carry a small cube heater that is stored out of the way when we do not need it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
Had one in our HH. Before getting it I thought it was crazy. After using it a fireplace was a โ€œmust haveโ€ in our current camper.

They are basically a large expensive electric heater. But do add some ambiance, and we use it all the time to take the chill out in morning or evenings.

Couldnโ€™t have said it better myself. Exactly how I feel.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We also enjoy the one in our rig. It heats pretty well and the fake flames actually look pretty real.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

we use ONLY the fireplace and the heat pump when camping in cool weather,, the fireplace usually has to be turned off due to the area getting too warm
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use ours all the time when it is cold out. Works great and heats the 5th great. Unless it is below 30f at night our furnace doesn't get used. If the electric fireplace isn't enough (which it usually is) we supplement with and other electric heater. We love ours and all very happy to have one.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife insisted on one when we ordered our DRV. I wanted more storage.

It's actually functional.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD