cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical help

Been at the beach for 4 days now with no problems.

About an hour ago, i lost most of my 110 outlets, still had 1 of my 15k AC’s and the microwave..

Went to my Hughes Autoformer and the top light is lit RED -= line 1 voltage

Thinking my pedestal is bad I ran my cord to the spot next to me…. Same issue???

Could my transfer switch be bad?

I do have my shore power going into my hughes, then my transfer switch… along with my 6500 Onan… debating if I wanna run my Onan , or stay with 1 AC till tomorrow
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
16 REPLIES 16

YUP... On my " TO DO" list
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
That's awesome! So rare, these days. You ought to put up a "Good Guys" post and name the CG and the Supe!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

The Supervisor was here about an hour ago. He asked how I got fixed and how much it cost. He asked me if I was ok if he credited my credit card used to book $300.00.. He asked If that sounded fair to me, I happily accepted.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bet they didn't even offer $20 to offset the price of the new cord, since it =was= on their end.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Park sent an electrical contractor the following day.. he opened the pedistal and found the wires to all be tight, but the oiutlet itself was NOT secure to the back..

This probably caused the the plug to not go in all the way when I got there..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
The pedestal is as much responablefor burning up YOUR plug as anything. a bad, burnt terminal will cause that.
Take a flashlite and look at the pedistal outlet

This entire 35' cable and ends are now in my garage waiting for me to cut and repair the end.

Since I was camping at the beach when it happened, I needed power, so I went and purchased a new 50 amp twist lock RV power cord form the closest RV supply house..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I see a lot of discoloration on the ground connection. Looks like it may have issues! Test to insure there is no connection (resistance) between neutral(white wire) and the ground.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

my issue that was resolved -
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update
Dealer? ooh! Have you tried Amazon for cord? Maybe 15 footer!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Thanks to all who responded-

Found the issue..

I have the 50amp inlet on the rear corner of my coach, the stock cord that came with was way too stiff.

I got a plug that went into the coach and had the 50amp male on the other end.. I then made a 40’’ cord out of SOO cord that is real flexible….

One leg at that plug was burnt up… I did not get too far into it yet, but I am assuming that since I made the cord, I didn’t tighten something….

I ran to Walmart and found a 30 amp RV cord that I plugged into the pedestal until I can get to an RV dealer tomorrow and get a new 50 amp cord
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet he lost one leg of the 50A curcuit at the post. Pull out your multi-meter and check the two 50A legs at the post or your electrical panel in the trailer.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would manually check the voltage at the pedestal supply. You are looking for 120v Hot to Neutral and 240 volts hot to hot.

If the the auto former is not really boosting much you could just remove it from the circuit to see what goes.
Check voltage on each leg with items running. If you have a bad neutral it will show high on one side and low on the other.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I just read on another forum that there are some autoformers out there that are miswired and have an issue with high voltage on one leg. I think that they were sold about two years ago.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad