cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exclusive: Utterly Unique Fifth Wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Check out this novel Floor Plan. I have no affiliation. Just sharing a neat idea

Palomino River Ranch
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide
26 REPLIES 26

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
Lol! That's double our trailer...ha ha!
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the weight factor will cause it too require Sportchassis class tow vehicle. By the way, the majority of Winnebago diesel class A use a basement A/C unit.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting people comment on height. Our Montana HC is 13'5"... so why would this one be any different? We had a toyhauler before this that was 13'1". It's ceilings were so high, I needed a 2 step stepladder to get into the top cabinets in the kitchen. I'd rather have storage in the basement than way up there.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
3 or 4 steps to get into normal 5er, then flat floor until you want to go up into bedroom /LR or Kitchen which will have 3 steps or so. Likewise could have 3/4 steps if rear LR/Kitchen or BR. Looking at this floorpan, you have "X" steps to get into coach then flat. Okay sounds great. At least how I look at it is once inside, now you have to dodge the steps to go from front to back whereas you don't in regular 5ers. Am I wrong in this assessment? Appears to be lots of doors for storage, but IMO, that will add up to a lot of weight once owners start putting stuff inside. I agree w/ others on tires/axles. Max GVW of 16,5 again IMO that's dually territory. Still, would like to see one in person.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there are a lot of positives to this design. I have looked at some 5th wheels that have very little under side storage. My older 5th wheel has lots of storage and not sure what I would do with less storage or room for typical camp stuff. As for height, aren't toy haulers already about that height. I have seen some that have ton's of air above the average persons head so they would have the same issues some have posted about wind or being top heavy. They already make units that have front kitchens or front living rooms or rear raised rooms, so basically the same design only the center room is also raised, reducing the wasted air space above your head and adding more storage space. It seems like lots of motor homes are raised in a similar manner, so basically just copying that design. I see more positives over negatives, would like to see one in real life.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the basement storage seems like it might be a big positive for someone who works out of the RV on the road and needs supplies and equipment, but I canโ€™t see a big advantage for the average owner.

The big benefit of the full basement to me would be the same as it is in a home: Easier access to utilities and equipment for repair.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to see one in person with specs and pricing available. OTR buses have had basement AC for 50 plus years without issue. Height is no issue, they addressed that already. It's about time someone reinvented the idea, time will tell.
Puma 30RKSS

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Our Winnebago Journey had basement air. Worked flawlessly, AND was super quiet.

BTW, the cool air in my house comes from vents in the ceiling, much as it does in many, many, many houses

My house also drops cool in from ceiling. Most business I have paid attention to drop from above. But I bet most stand alone homes, the furnace and AC are together and use the same ducts, put air in from below.

Different set-ups in different parts of the country. Basement homes will usually pump it from below, since the HVAC is in the basement, where slab or pier-built homes, especially in the south, will locate the air handler upstairs, dropping both cool and warm air from the ceilings.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

BTW, the cool air in my house comes from vents in the ceiling, much as it does in many, many, many houses

My house also drops cool in from ceiling. Most business I have paid attention to drop from above. But I bet most stand alone homes, the furnace and AC are together and use the same ducts, put air in from below.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's nice to see outside the box thinking, but one downside to me is a lot of wasted space with the long hallways, especially with the mid bunk model. That's why I like split bath floorplans, or even master suites.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I like the concept and idea....

Not so sure I'd want to see the folks who can now bring their kitchen sink because they now "have the room" .

I am curious as to how well the AC system will work with the cold air being pumped UP instead of just falling down.??

Where does the cool air come from in your house?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I like the concept and idea....

Not so sure I'd want to see the folks who can now bring their kitchen sink because they now "have the room" .

I am curious as to how well the AC system will work with the cold air being pumped UP instead of just falling down.??

Where does the cool air come from in your house?

Completely DIFFERENT systems.... comparing apples and bananas .
HVAC systems in stick and Bricks are not anything like the AC's in RV's

First, with the basement that trailer has the same basic system as the house could be used.
But to the point of your first post; Will the cold air coming into the room from the ducts act different because there are wheels under the room? Bet if you don't tell it it's in a RV it will never know. And it does not need to know how it was cooled.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can see pros and cons
- I like removing things from the roof. Ideally, there would be no roof penetrations and with some careful planning, that is very much possible.
- Mini Split units would allow nice flexibility in putting cooling anywhere you want while the exterior portion of the unit lives on the rear bumper.
- With the extra structure to build on two levels and the ability to fill that storage space, I really wonder if 3000lb CCC is realistic. I'm betting 20k GVWR is more realistic rather than 16.5k.
- You lose the high ceilings that make a 5er feel more open.
- A rear 5ft high garage with a 5ft bedroom in the back would make for an interesting bunkhouse option where you don't have to have the kids litterally living in the garage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't Alfa have basement a/c's when they were in production? I'm pretty sure the motorhomes did, but I'm not sure about their 5th wheel trailers. And I have no recollection of how efficient they were.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg