cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensive Traveling with a 5th Wheel

Chuck5395
Explorer
Explorer
We currently own a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS. As we get closer to retirement, our thoughts have turned to taking longer (in duration and distance) trips. I'm concerned about this rig being an HT since that implies that it was built to be light and possibly not durable.

First question: Is it built strong enough for extensive travel?

Second question: If we go back on the market to buy a new rig, what should we be looking for? I'd like to stay under 36' and we tow with a 2017 RAM Cummins Club cab long bed SRW.

Thanks
-Chuck
2018 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
2017 RAM 3500 Cummins
46 REPLIES 46

Chuck5395
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
Our light rig has served us well. We've been increasing our trip times every summer. 2, 3 and now 5 months a year.

We've certainly had some breakdowns and wear. We haven't been tender with it either. Lots of FS dirt roads and a certain wrong turn put us on an ATV road! The worst is the interior wood finishes that can't be repaired. Be prepared to do some repairs on the road!

The strangest issue is drawer slides. They aren't over loaded but the most used needed replacement last year. Of course even the cheapest hardware store one are better than the OEM.

Our Jayco Eagle HT looked great inside. It was under the skin where the failures happened. Way too under designed for its own good. Sure, less frame means lighter weight, but it also means weak.
2018 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
2017 RAM 3500 Cummins

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
Chuck5395 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Friends of ours bought a lightweight Arcadia Fifth Wheel. It came with a 12v fridge and one solar panel. They added a solar suitcase for additional solar. It also came with a tankless water heater. After one trip and wasting two gallons of water before thevwater heated up, he added this add on and they love it.

We are just about to start our first dry camping trip with this new camper. While there appear to be few fixes to the water wasting issue with the tankless water heater, if we do anything, I'm currently leaning towards pulling it out and putting a tank heater in its place.

The "Showermiser" tee looks like a worthwhile idea. However, I agree getting rid of the tankless altogether is a better idea.

Provided you have the space for it. Don't forget that you've got to cut a vent hole in the side of your rig. Do you =really= know what's in the wall where you want/need to locate the vent? For me, a tankless is a non-starter for me.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our light rig has served us well. We've been increasing our trip times every summer. 2, 3 and now 5 months a year.

We've certainly had some breakdowns and wear. We haven't been tender with it either. Lots of FS dirt roads and a certain wrong turn put us on an ATV road! The worst is the interior wood finishes that can't be repaired. Be prepared to do some repairs on the road!

The strangest issue is drawer slides. They aren't over loaded but the most used needed replacement last year. Of course even the cheapest hardware store one are better than the OEM.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Chuck5395 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Friends of ours bought a lightweight Arcadia Fifth Wheel. It came with a 12v fridge and one solar panel. They added a solar suitcase for additional solar. It also came with a tankless water heater. After one trip and wasting two gallons of water before thevwater heated up, he added this add on and they love it.

We are just about to start our first dry camping trip with this new camper. While there appear to be few fixes to the water wasting issue with the tankless water heater, if we do anything, I'm currently leaning towards pulling it out and putting a tank heater in its place.

The "Showermiser" tee looks like a worthwhile idea. However, I agree getting rid of the tankless altogether is a better idea.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Chuck5395
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

2018 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
2017 RAM 3500 Cummins

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours bought a lightweight Arcadia Fifth Wheel. It came with a 12v fridge and one solar panel. They added a solar suitcase for additional solar. It also came with a tankless water heater. After one trip and wasting two gallons of water before the water heated up, he added this add on and they love it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, yeah and yeah.
The steps i don't like due to limitations on getting into the unit in parking areas, especially here at home. I am parked within 3 feet of my house, yep on that side. Overnight at Cracker Barrel etc, sometimes our neighbor is at arms length. Also when boondocking, at times we are a little higher or lower in the front that will impeed the steps. My son in law has them on his trailer and has had the bottom step on the ground. UGH. but to each our own.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The new fangled uprising steps are popular not because of design or function.
They are popular because they allow flexibility in the manufacturing process.
The new steps eliminate the stair pocket which allows the same frame to be used with several different models vs. having a fixed door pocket location, which makes the frame more model specific.
I agree tankless heaters and the new steps are deal breakers for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think these alternative steps would be around if they would have installed quality solid steps like I have on my DRV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chuck5395
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
We have a 2013 Heartland Sundance XLT which is light and gone up to the pacific nw with it and Colorado a few times. Worked out well for us. It is a rear kitchen with OA legnth of 29 feet. I think what was light back then could be "well built" compared to the later models especially the Covid specials. We were on the cusp of buying a new one but decided to keep old faithfull and run it. Even if we need to put a roof on it we would still be dollars ahead.
Just my two cents.....Curly

We did really like our 2017 Jayco HT, but it did not hold up well to being towed around. I'm thinking it's no longer a HT because they have realized their mistake and now are using a sturdier frame.
2018 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
2017 RAM 3500 Cummins

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Heartland Sundance XLT which is light and gone up to the pacific nw with it and Colorado a few times. Worked out well for us. It is a rear kitchen with OA legnth of 29 feet. I think what was light back then could be "well built" compared to the later models especially the Covid specials. We were on the cusp of buying a new one but decided to keep old faithfull and run it. Even if we need to put a roof on it we would still be dollars ahead.
Just my two cents.....Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
As for the steps, I recently came across the Torklift Glowstep Uprising Step. It replaces the stupid solid steps, so you at least can access your rig while in storage. They still fold inside the door, meaning trash and water can get inside, but they at least eliminate one of the major problems with the stupid solid steps. If only the mfrs would offer these as an option... Yeah, not likely.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
ill chime in again.
as far as me, maybe an old timer, set in my ways, been there done that, etc.
I don't have a problem with the new fangled stuff if the manufactures would just let some of it be an opotion. They could charge a few xtra $$$'s as needed, but should be up to us as the consumer what we want.
The water heater for us would be an issue, we turn on in the morning, let it run until hot, turn it off, she gets a shower, does dishes and evening time dishes and i get a shower, never ran out of hot water. Steps, ugh as i wouldn't be able to get tehm down in some parking lots, at home or they may be uneven as heck boon docking in some of the areas we go. as the youngns would say, just saying.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Chuck5395 wrote:
laknox wrote:

I'm with you on both counts, Jeff. I had the stuipd solid steps and, as boondockers, am not a fan of the tankless water heaters (though I've not had experience with them). I've read about too many people not having hot water when running on the pump =and= people using a =lot= more water.

Lyle

We've just spent our first 5 nights in the new rig. We have the newer flip style steps that help knock the dirt off of them before you raise them into the doorway. Worse than dirt, if they're wet they bring that water in with them.

And so far, we are not a fan of the tankless water heater. It does seem to use a lot more water and we boondock a lot. I'm sure we'll figure out a solution.
-Chuck

IF ONLY the mfrs would give their customers this thing called OPTIONS!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A