cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass blistering

bc3309
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Keystone Outback 5th wheel I purchased new. It has blistering on the sides. It looks like spot welds that have popped under the fiberglass coating. Getting it fixed is not going well. Anybody else having this issue ?
9 REPLIES 9

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is happening to your trailer is called osmosis blistering. It is the result of a small amount of moisture getting into your wall. The moisture wicks it way out through the slightly porous fiberglass by osmosis until it reaches the impermeable layer of gel coat. The blister is formed and pops to let the moisture through. The first step in the repair is to reseal the window or roof or wherever the moisture is finding it's way behind the Filon. The next step is insure the Filon has thoroughly dried. Finally the damaged surface can be repaired.
If the source of moisture getting to the back of the panel is not eliminated the problem will reoccur.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

Unfortunately you are dealing with Keystone, and I know what that is like from owning one. They'll do everything they can to get out of a warranty repair. Good Luck.

Thereโ€™s the quote of the day and how true it is!
2x above, my advice, which I will follow next time, is to try and not buy another keystone product if I can find something else. their c.s. sucks!!
rich

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:

Unfortunately you are dealing with Keystone, and I know what that is like from owning one. They'll do everything they can to get out of a warranty repair. Good Luck.

Thereโ€™s the quote of the day and how true it is!

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a boat. The fiberglass layer is @ 1/16" thick and boded to a layer of 1/8" thick luan plywood, which is bonded to the center structural layer composed of aluminum tubes infilled between with beaded foam, followed by the inner layer which is more 1/8" luan plywood with vinyl wall-covering. Keystone does not vacuum bond their wall panels, they pinch roll.

Are you sure you are not seeing too long of screws used to mount interior items such as cabinet cleats, which in turn pushed out the outer layers braking the adhesive bond? Its fairly common and easy to find examples on any dealer lot.

Repairing defects or delamination on a laminated wall is problematic. Epoxy injection can work depending on where the area is located and done by someone who knows how. "Cutting Out" sections is a shoemaker type band aid repair. A good body man may be able to get it sort of non noticeable, but it's always going to be visible as a repair, especially given some time and expansion and contraction.

It's not unheard of for manufacturers to take rigs with lamination defects back to the factory and replace the entire wall panel. Unfortunately you are dealing with Keystone, and I know what that is like from owning one. They'll do everything they can to get out of a warranty repair. Good Luck.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like what we just had repaired on our Triple E. They had to cut out the sections that were affected and replace them. Not cheap. But looks much better.

bc3309
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer has told me Keystone is not standing behind it. I have coverage for this but the process the dealer has used on some other campers with the same issue is not working out

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the marine world it is referred to as boatpox. Various causes ranging from resin used to air temp at layup. The remedy usually is to grind each blister out, fill it, fair it, & regelcoat it. Simple but labour intensive.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds more like you may have a de-lamination issue.
Hard to give advice without more info.

Can you post a picture?
Use this........Picture Posting Tool
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you reported this to Keystone with pictures?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad