cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel hitch suggestion

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
So I have bought the new truck 2018 ram 3500 dually 8โ€™ bed and new fifth wheel Durango Gold 384RLT, now need suggestion for hitch, do not want to go by dealer suggestion. So what would be best fit for hitch?

Again thanks for everyoneโ€™s help in making my decision
Rick
50 REPLIES 50

Neal_B_
Explorer
Explorer
mekkerl wrote:
One vote for Andersen here ๐Ÿ™‚

X3
2016 Keystone Laredo 297SRE
Andersen Ultimate
2002 Chev. 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
I was extremely happy with the performance of my B&W Companion.

Even with my old mans back it was very easy to remove it by myself since it separated into two manageable pieces.

It was easy to see when the jaws shut around the king pin and easy to access the lever and safety pin from the side of my truck. The jaws held tight against the king pin.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
B & W is a very well designed and built hitch. Made in the USA .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
New truck and new trailer. Why not get a hitch that protects both from jarring forces which there will be plenty? A comfortable tow is a bonus. TrailerSaver TS3. Price and weight are downsides but with the money you have just put out upgrading to the best hitch would be negligible. Wouldn't hurt to check out their website and YouTube tows.

Until they step up and make their hitch fit the factory puck system without an adapter my vote is no. I have air bag pinbox and B&W puck hitch towing 25k. Great ride!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dapperdan wrote:
We have a MORryde pin box on our Suites and I bought a B & W when we bought the '15 RAM. Best hitch I've ever owned! I've owned Reese and Draw Tite previously but the B & W is built to higher standards IMHO. I LOVE it. :B

Dan

Best standard hitch hands down!!! No question if you are hitched.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
It has factory pucks and set up for goose neck also

Thanks,
Rick

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If you have factory pucks, B&W.

If you don't, with the B&W or the Andersen. Both are excellent hitches. Same ride quality. Same ease to hitch and unhitch (though, B&W might have the slight edge here- with aligning the hitch being a bit easier). Anderesen is significantly lighter to install/uninstall.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hensley Trailer Saver 3 (TS-3) It has the air bags that everyone will tell you you need. It fits on the standard rails like the others. My thought was the hitch stays with me. If I get the air ride pin box, it stays with the trailer. When I need the truck bed I just leave the hitch attached to the pinbox and raise the front end of the trailer. Drive out from under. It attaches with 4 pins. Easy-Peasy! rated for 25k, will handle what ever you got.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RickeyS1 wrote:
The truck is set up for fifth wheel already and brake control. I would like something that could be removed when not in use if I needed the truck bed.

Thanks everyone,
Rick

B&W!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
The truck is set up for fifth wheel already and brake control. I would like something that could be removed when not in use if I needed the truck bed.

Thanks everyone,
Rick

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
New truck and new trailer. Why not get a hitch that protects both from jarring forces which there will be plenty? A comfortable tow is a bonus. TrailerSaver TS3. Price and weight are downsides but with the money you have just put out upgrading to the best hitch would be negligible. Wouldn't hurt to check out their website and YouTube tows.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RickeyS1 wrote:
So I have bought the new truck 2018 ram 3500 dually 8โ€™ bed and new fifth wheel Durango Gold 384RLT, now need suggestion for hitch, do not want to go by dealer suggestion. So what would be best fit for hitch?

Rick

Hopefully you got the factory GN/FW hitch prep. Either way, I'll also throw my vote for the B&W Companion. Heavy-duty hitch and a great company that stands behind it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickeyS1 wrote:

Rick

If your new truck has the 5th wheel prep, it is had to go wrong with the B&W RVK3600.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
mekkerl wrote:
X2

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4