cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel or TT?

Galvinized
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning retirement. Want to hit the road for 2-3 months and go somewhere warmer. We want to be able to bring a two seat golf cart or two seat UTV with us. Assume weight is no more than 1500#.

We have never owned a toy hauler and are interested in hearing about the pros and cons of a travel trailer toy hauler or fifth wheel toy hauler.

TIA for your insights.
2008 Jayco
25 REPLIES 25

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Galvinized wrote:
We are planning retirement. Want to hit the road for 2-3 months and go somewhere warmer. We want to be able to bring a two seat golf cart or two seat UTV with us. Assume weight is no more than 1500#.

We have never owned a toy hauler and are interested in hearing about the pros and cons of a travel trailer toy hauler or fifth wheel toy hauler.

TIA for your insights.

never had a TT toyhauler, only 2 fiver toyhaulers, but did consider the travel trailer ones.

We like the ceiling height in the 5ers. Makes the interior feel more spacious.

It seems like the 5er models have more storage space.

When we looked the fiver models typically have larger holding tanks. Not sure if this is still true, but more capacity is always nice to have even if you don't use it all.

Our 40' fiver has always towed well behind our dually, even in really windy conditions. We don't spend time trying to make sure weight is distributed etc. We just fill up with full water, gas, propane, and load the toy(s) and go.

For those times when you can't ride out of a campground or the trail is a little ways away, my parents have the Anderson Hitch for their 41' 5er toyhauler. It only weighs about 30lbs. So it's easy to remove so they can load their RZR in the back of their truck and haul it to the nearest trail.

If we had a TT toyhauler we would have a diamond back ATV/SxS cover. Its like a tonneau cover capable of holding your UTV.

Diamond Back ATV/SxS Carrier

Some of the TT 5ers with open floor plans (no separate garage) have swivel rockers. I think the swivel rockers are comfortable and with the open floor plan can seem as big if not bigger living space than 5er TH.

The separate garage models are nice. Garages give an entire separate space for keeping dirt out, add privacy, can be a nice place to hang out when your spouse is sleeping or you just want some space from each other or even guests.

With a TT TH you might not need as big of a truck. Some of these 5er THs are huge and if you want to stay within tow ratings you'll need a newer dually.

How exciting! Once you get your toyhauler you'll have to post pics!

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a 5W toy hauler with any capable truck or option 2 a TT with a long bed P/U load the ATV win the bed and hook the TT. Either direction I would look at a diesel P/U for the torque to pull the weight which ever way you go.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 TT trailers (2 were Toyhaulers). We now have a Momentum 394 (5th wheel toy hauler). The ease of towing, hooking up, and the layout...I'll never go back to a TT.

We bought the 5th wheel to give us additional space upon retirement and long vacations. So happy with our choice.
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
N-Trouble wrote:
Keep your 5er to a reasonable length and its no harder than a TT getting into places. Moved from a WW 21ft Superlite to an Attitude 28SAG (31ft) 5er several years ago. Only challenge I had was dealing with the extra height and tree limbs. Other than that cant thing of anything I gave up to move to the 5er.

5er vs TT maneuverability is "different" not better or worse.

A TT can start turning more quickly but it's limited to how sharply you can turn.

A 5er is slower to start turning but you can turn more sharply.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your 5er to a reasonable length and its no harder than a TT getting into places. Moved from a WW 21ft Superlite to an Attitude 28SAG (31ft) 5er several years ago. Only challenge I had was dealing with the extra height and tree limbs. Other than that cant thing of anything I gave up to move to the 5er.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

dedmiston
Our first toy hauler was a Weekend Warrior FS2600 bumper pull. When the last of our kids/helpers moved away, we decided we wanted more comforts and less work, so we upgraded to a fifth wheel with a dedicated garage, auto-levelers, and big slides. Best decision we could have made. It's a totally different experience.

There are definitely pros and cons though.

We boondock a lot and we can get into most of the same places with the big fiver as we did with the shorter bumper pull. The fifth wheel is easier to maneuver, but the TT had a little better ground clearance. It's a toss-up as far as boondocking goes.

In actual camps though, it takes a lot more planning to secure a space long enough for a longer fifth wheel. We can't get into any State/Fed campgrounds. We camp at a lot of County places though. Even though the spaces aren't much bigger, they don't have the same staffing and it's pretty easy to get creative and shoehorn into a space when there isn't any supervision (a victimless crime). In private CGs / RV Parks, we usually do pretty well finding a space. Sometimes we have to compromise and dry camp in the overflow, but that's pretty rare. Those longer spaces definitely come at a premium though. We have to be careful on longer trips, because the longer spaces at the private RV parks can really add up.

So yeah, a bigger triple-axle fifth wheel toy hauler will make you work a little harder to find a spot and it will cost a little extra. We've never regretted the upgrade though. The experience with this more comfortable hauler has been fantastic. We've done a ton of camping in it in the past six years, including an 11,000 mile trip. Our older/smaller Warrior was just too primitive for extended trips like that.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Motorhome, tow the toys

Yeah but then you don't have a street legal vehicle (at least in most places).

You could drive the Motorhome, tow a pick up, with golf cart in bed.

Thats borderline Beverly Hillybilly…
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Galvinized wrote:
These are terrific and thoughtful insights.

Are there any significant differences inside a TT or FW in the toy / garage area? Space? Electronics? Ramp door? What should we take into consideration for the garage area or is basically the same in a TT or FW?

Yes, a lot of good info so far…save for the Moho suggestions.
Garages aren’t “different “ between a bumper pull and 5ver per se. But they do come in different lengths and different features.
Generally “separate” garages are not outfitted as living quarters and more suited to be a “garage.” Open concept THs, the garage is double duty hauling toys or living space generally with drop down beds and or seating.
Most bumper pulls are open concept save for the bigger ones. 5vers can get either style more interchangeably.
Also most all ramp doors can be made into a “patio”. Also no need to pay for the patio feature. Or if you find the right one without the hardware to support the ramp. Very easy to install a couple chains and make a patio. If you want the other fancy upgrades like fence or screen porch they’re available too.

In general like most other things, there is no “perfect” setup for all conditions. Every different RV has its advantages and drawbacks. And an advantage to one person is likely a drawback to another person. Hence why there are possibly more rv options than vehicle options. Lol

Like, since we moved from a TC to a trailer, I wanted an outside kitchen and no bunks. TTs , plenty of outdoor kitchen models but most have bunks.
That brought the Toyhauler idea out. “Bunks” disappear and don’t take up room when not needed. Rear patio is good easy access for outside cooking ( if weather is nice) and the big open garage area is more spacious than a similar TT. And in nice weather, the back canvas/screen “doors” really open it up even more.
Now we have plenty of toys that we could use the TH for, but don’t. Might, but our camping trips are usually not dirt bike or Snomachine trips.
I’d think, months long travel and bringing a golf cart or sxs, separate garage and big enough living quarters where you don’t need the garage for living space per se would be preferable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
another member brought up good point. if you are staying for a few weeks or so o in 1 spot/camp ground) then a garage is the way to go. that member stated some camp ground either do not have room or do not want you unloading your toy and parking it.

i have owned 5 toyhaulers in 20 years. 3 bumper hitch and then to a fiver. 1 of the bumper hitch was totaled out pretty quick from some 3" hail! bought a 2011 wolfpack 295 brand new off the lot in walcott iowa. used that for 10 years with almost no issues. the fivers or goosenecks tow the best imo. projection hitch's ( henseley/propride) are the best in that field for sure. i do not believe they can do the same job a fiver/gooseneck can but i am no expert.

so i went back to a bumper hitch for a few reasons. #1 on the list was that i drew the floor plan and had it custom built/taylored to our needs.

fivers offer more living space in the same oal. the taller height grabs more wind as well. i have noticed there are a lot more floor plan to choose from in bumper pulls/tt's. the bpconversion g/n bolt on hitch answers that need for those that want the stability of a fiver/g/n on a bumper hitch and it transsfers to other units.

all of my toyhaulers have been open floor plans. i have no use nor want the extra 6' of a garage model. i am not retired nor travel across country. our travels are destination trips except the st anthony sand dunes trips as they are 16 hr drives one way. thats a 4 hr nap half way.

it really comes down to you preference of floor plans and your truck as they can pretty much all be made to tow like fivers/g/n's as they handle the best.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mleekamp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Motorhome, tow the toys

Yeah but then you don't have a street legal vehicle (at least in most places).

You could drive the Motorhome, tow a pick up, with golf cart in bed.

Now you just added a lot of complication as you have to break camp every time you leave the campground.

Having carried a golf cart in the pickup bed, it's much more of a pain to load.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5er toy hauler now and others have given plenty of advice on the benefits.

If you go the TT route, toy hauler or not, buy a good hitch. Hensley and ProPride are the best. Work as advertised. I've owned the Hensley. I wouldn't tow a TT without one of these. The price will scare you, but look at the costs you will have in a truck, RV, etc. It's not that much more.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The often asked 5er or TT, and pretty much the same responses as everyone wants to make their RV choice valid, even a few motorized RVs were thrown in as they felt left out, don't you love human nature.

Simply put, when properly hitched both types tow fine, and when improperly hitched, both types have their shortcomings. Your best bet is to go to RV shows or dealers and view as many units as possible.

Noticed you have been on this forum for 2 decades, no doubt you have your preferences when RVing. Whatever choice you make have as stout of a truck as possible, most towing issues start there.

We just went through this last year, initially looked at 5ers and TTs since we still have a truck in good condition. After a year or so, we began looking at motorized RVs as well to give every RV class a chance.

When RV shopping we tried our best to leave our preconceived perceptions about RVs at home, we would have never looked at motorized RVs if we didn't. Vigorous research was required as we have always had 5ers and TTs.

Since we were looking for our retirement rig as well, we took our time vetting every scenario to our specific needs. Never had issues towing either TT or 5er, always had great towing comfort, although this time out DW chose class A.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Normally I would opt for a 5er, but if the golf cart would fit in the truck I would likely go for the non toy hauler TT. A toy hauler, while nice for carrying your toys, you do lose a lot of normal living space. The kitchen/living area size is reduced for the garage area, although some do make good use of the garage for some living space. Many tow a small utility trailer behind a 5er for their toys, but you might get into states that do not allow the extra trailer especially along each coast.

With a 5er you will need to make sure your truck has adequate payload rating for the pin weight.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 50” side by side in the bed of our truck and tow a TT. We like this because we can take the SXS directly to a trail without have it to drag the whole RV with us. We can setup camp and leave TT behind.
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"