Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel "airbag" kingpins

boonie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a two part question......

1. Are the airbags on the fifth wheel hitch worth the price?

2. Does anyone know exactly why they are called or where I can find some reviews on them? Google has failed me so far!!!!
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Long Box 5.7 Hemi
2003 Coachmen Cascade 26RBS with a 14' Single Slide

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place.
42 REPLIES 42

GRJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BD3, pulled a 16K Montana with it for 5 years, and absolutely loved it. No chucking whatsoever. Much easier on the trailer and equipment. Coupled it with the SuperRails and it disappeared when I wasn't using it. Kept the hitch after selling the trailer, but at this point I'm not sure that I'm going to buy another 5th wheel - but until then, I'll keep the hitch.
Chris, Garth and Matt
'01 Jayco Heritage Laurel
'03 Ford Expedition
Go Blue!!!

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks. Wouldn't work for me because I'm using a Andersen Ultimate hitch with a ball adapter at the pin box.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Air hitch?

air hitch
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Air hitch?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
An air hitch is going to make a much bigger difference than a pin box.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "chucking" problem with my 5er and I'm now committed to trying an aftermarket pinbox. My question would be which one is better? MOR-ryde or one of the air bag types? Both are expensive but I need the most effective solution.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace my pin box for reasons other than ride quality, and decided to put a 5th airborne on it just to ease the pounding on the 5er. Many of the issues I've had over the years with my assorted RVs have been a result of the pounding they take going down the road. It makes a noticeable difference in how well things stay in place in the refrigerator, cupboards etc. It also makes a noticeable difference in the truck when you hit the hard bumps, uneven concrete joints etc. Hard to quantify effects but I'd say it's worth it. Not sure I would have changed it though if not for needing to replace the pin box though as the ride was already good.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have severe chucking and bouncing problems then an air hitch will dissipate those forces and give you a smooth ride and at the same time protect your butt, back, trailer and truck. How bad your problem is with a 5,000# trailer is your determination. For me it was worth the money.

I have a Trailer Saver TS3. It has a high hinge point and translates chucking forces into bouncing forces and then coverts most of the hitch energy into heat which is transferred to the atmosphere. Translation - very smooth tow.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
boonie wrote:
I have a two part question......

1. Are the airbags on the fifth wheel hitch worth the price?

2. Does anyone know exactly why they are called or where I can find some reviews on them? Google has failed me so far!!!!

I would say for the size 5er you currently have a Mor-Ryde pin box would be more than enough.
That said have you done anything else to smooth the ride of the TV & 5er??
Do you have good shocks on the TV? Bilstein's do wonders.
Does the 5er tow level?
Do you have shocks on the 5er?
Do you have at least 20% pin weight?

All of the above will improve the ride in the TV, and make life better for the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
pin box air bags are not big enough for heavy pin weights, as the pressure needed approaches 80-90 psi they are more like solid rubber.This is when the air hitches shine the bigger / extra bags can be kept closer to the ideal psi of around 50 psi ,more squish.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
Trailersaver BD3 is the hitch you may be thinking about.Twin airbags give the hitch about 2in of travel both up and down. Combined with the Moreryde pinbox(fore and aft movement) both bucking and chucking are reduced alot. Pricey but after 6yrs using this combo with Blisten shocks and truck airbags, well worth it IMHO.
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
netjam wrote:
Agree with Bionic Man. Have 5th Airborne and don't see much advantage over my previous mor-ryde. Mine looses air constantly and needs to be refilled. A maintenance headache I could do without. Have talked to others with 5th Airborne and most say their's loose air as well.

I forgot that part. I have to check the air in mine before every trip (which is every weekend in the summer). And add air. PITA.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Bionic Man. Have 5th Airborne and don't see much advantage over my previous mor-ryde. Mine looses air constantly and needs to be refilled. A maintenance headache I could do without. Have talked to others with 5th Airborne and most say their's loose air as well.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 5er for many years before I "upgraded" my pin box to a Trail Air. I wouldn't spend the money again. In my mind, it wasn't worth it. The main time I get chucking is when I am towing tandem, and it really didn't make that much of a difference.

What problem are you trying to solve?

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Reese 5th Airborne. Like others have said smoother ride for both truck and trailer.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport