cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel Slide Question

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
I guess this isn't specific to 5th wheels but that's what I have.

Anyhow, I just purchased my first unit with a slide. It is a 2012 Keystone Cougar SRX325 5th wheel toyhauler.

While opening the large left side slide (dinette and sofa) I notice the bottom of the slide starts moving and then the top starts to go. The slide does not slide out square top to bottom. The same while retracting. Is this normal?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally normal, with under floor mechanism it is the only way to keep pressure on the upper slide seal to keep it weather tight in normal use. If you look at the movie 'RV' with Robin Williams, when he makes the fast right hand turn at the beginning of the movie, the top of the main slide tilts out about 8" during that turn.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you keep the gaskets on all sides well lubricated. It will make opening much easier and you wont hear that sucking sound as the slide pulls away from the seal. Buy the stuff in the spray can.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
My old Komfort had a "flush floor" slide, so it had to move the =bottom= first. At it hit the end of its travel, the top would stop, and the bottom would keep moving 2-3 inches and would drop down so it was nearly flush with the main floor. On retraction, the bottom would start first, then the top would follow after that same 2-3" of travel. I know I wish the new KZ had that for the dinette-side slide. The 2 chairs closer to the center of the FW are half on the slide, so you sit tilted. Not real comfortable...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Thanks for the replies everyone. Just making sure.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The slide isn't attached to anything at the top, all the mechanics are underneath. I've closed a couple of slides where the top hung up while the bottom came in. A little un-nerving when the top finally let go and came crashing in.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, same here. Normal.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is normal for most larger slides, that tip upward as it comes in. It should be square at the wall when fully extended. Many/mine should not be stepped/walked on, when pulled in/tipped up, due to lack of support to under edge.

Jerry

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Slides I have experienced did the same. I have always assumed it was to ensure the top seals against the side of the trailer before the mechanism pulls the bottom all the way in. If they closed "square" there would be no pressure on the top weather strips to keep the rain out.
Don't overthink it - you're OK.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2010 Fuzion toyhauler does the same thing. It's been like that since new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"