cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire Extinguisher Recal

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I found this on another site and checked two of mine, the one in the boat is subject to re-call. I haven't checked the one in the FW yet, but will when it gets little warmer around here. Follow this link.

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/
John A. Lichty
10 REPLIES 10

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
OLD news: Never buy an extinguisher with plastic components!

Extinguisher servicing companies wouldn't have anything to do with them (in 1973 and before), and - it's finally caught up with Kidde.

~

Wouldn't/don't have any extinguishers with plastic either - so no dog in the hunt, but wonder if the re-called extinguishers have same?..:h

Walked past the (Kidde) fire extinguishers in Costco today....
Handle and nozzle assembly are metal.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to fill in all the blanks online and it keeps kicking me out. I have 4 so I think I will call them tomorrow.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Vette Racer wrote:
I have 4 that are in the recall, 3 of them are over 20 years old and they are sending replacements for them, can't beat a deal like that.

They can't afford NOT to replace them. If one goes bad when needed, they could face a major lawsuit. This includes the fact that they should have been replaced years before. Juries don't much care about rules, it seems like.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 that are in the recall, 3 of them are over 20 years old and they are sending replacements for them, can't beat a deal like that.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
OLD news: Never buy an extinguisher with plastic components!

Extinguisher servicing companies wouldn't have anything to do with them (in 1973 and before), and - it's finally caught up with Kidde.

~

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
They just had a big CO detector recall as well.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Not sure how Kidde can stay in business having to replace up to 40 million extinguishers built since 1973 !

Maybe they have a product liability insurance policy ??

I have a hard tome believing that any manufacturer would replace a unit as old as you suggest. My kitchen extinguisher states that unit must be removed from service 12 years after manufacturing date per NFPA code. Other than as a rolling pin, why would anyone have a 40 year old fire extinguisher?
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is possible but more likely is that many of those extinguishers are gone already, and many people will not even be aware of the recall so they won't be involved. Look at the Takata air bag recall-there are millions of vehicles still out there that have not been repaired even will all the news reports.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how Kidde can stay in business having to replace up to 40 million extinguishers built since 1973 !

Maybe they have a product liability insurance policy ??

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I just called and have two out of three in the recall. They are sending me two new ones via Fed Ex in about 15 days.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992