Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River - 2009 Sierra 356 RL

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River - 2009 Sierra 356 RL

Looking to buy this unit and looking for Pro or Con comments.

Thanks in advance.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.
11 REPLIES 11

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short:

I went back to do another walk around inside and out. Imagine my surprise to find the left rear rear end cap loose from the bottom up close to five feet. This was a deal breaker. I don't know what caused this damage as the unit is modular in construction unless it was damaged in a wreck and improperly repaired or simply over-speed towing into a construction zone and body and frame flex broke the welds. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I knew a fellow at our old park who had one and he was quite happy with it it, as a retried master carpenter I thought the fit n' finish was very good and overall construction was what i'd expect from a manufacturer that has developed a fine reputation for quality workmanship and mostly "after-the-sale" customer service, considering the Sierra isn't Forest River's top-shelf fiver's I would not hesitate to recommend it based on the fiver I saw which I believe was a 2010 model. Now the one thing I've seen when it comes to Forest River trailers is that it's the after-market equipment such as fridges, ac units, water heaters and such that grow gremlins and not the construction of the units themselves and I'm not saying that FR hasn't had foul-ups on the rigs they've built, I know of several Forest River/Cedar Creek/Columbus/Sabre trailers that had glitches when new and (in our case) not new but from what I've seen Forest River took care of all repairs although I heard several horror stories about some dealers dropping the ball but Forest River took care of things! Cedar Creek has taken VERY good care of us and our Daydreamer over the years as a matter of fact I recently discovered our fiver has frame-flexing issues on the front deck and Cedar Creek informed me and I quote "We stand behind our products!" and will be repairing our fiver when we get back home, from what I've seen so far this is how Forest River operates!

Red Green: Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get a kick out of the comments about Forest River. Like any large company they own many brands that operate independently. Some are low buck entry level some are top of the line quality units. Just because it says Forest River somewhere on the trailer doesn't mean they are all built the same way. Just as Thor owns a lot of companies from Dutchmen to Airstream. I don't think they're all the same either..The O.P. was asking about a specific brand not your entry level tin sided box...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
Not doubting what people say but I couldn't be happier with mine. I have a 2009 Sierra 335QBC ( bunk house). Bought it second hand. It was well cared for and covered since new. Only problem I have had was a couple of trim pieces weren't nail properly. Other than that no complaints.

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Sandpaper, I believe a sister line to the Sierra, if I remember right. It was decent, but after 9 years we just traded it in. Everything was falling apart or about to fall apart again. Found water damage on the back wall (but still not sure where the water is coming from). We were done, so we ordered a new camper from a different manufacturer this time.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
If Forest River was the last RV company, I would have to quit RVing. We had a TT new that was questionable and then a Sierra 5er that was genuine ****. Found the company very unhelpful.

I hate to hear that, I've always heard good things about Forest River really taking care of their customers.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
If Forest River was the last RV company, I would have to quit RVing. We had a TT new that was questionable and then a Sierra 5er that was genuine ****. Found the company very unhelpful.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Forest River Travel Trailer. Will never own another FR product. We have had numerous problems associated with shoddy workmanship and poor quality control. However, good luck with your decision.

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 forest river sierra tt, have had no major issues with it, if that helps you

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2007 it wasn't worth the money, poor quality and workmanship. Got rid of it after 4 yrs. it was falling apart.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport