Fridge not cooling on lp

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2019 Durango
With a norcold Fridge. Works
Fine on electric. On lp it
Doesn’t keep fridge cold. No fault lights or anything but fridge gets
To 55 degrees on lp. Even when turned as cold as possible. on electric it is In the 30’s. piolot lite is lit and looks fine. Nice blue flame. What could be the issue?

link to photo of burner

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ur2dYaYlkQqp0D8_MelZQt1Iqxd7CUKL/view?usp=drivesdk
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED
18 REPLIES 18

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an update. I checked the fridge before I went to bed last night and it was at 35 degrees and the freezer was about 10. Going to let it run a day or two and make sure it holds the temps.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No the stack is for the propane burner riser.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
all so clean the exhaust stack.

OP says fridge works fine on AC. Wouldn't an obstruction in the vent stack affect that also?

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
home now. cleaned the stack with compressed air. Blew out burner area too. Cleaned out the fridge of food and defrosted freezer. Started back up on gas 2 hours ago and put it on the "one snowflake" level which is supposed to be the warmest setting. It's down to 50 after 2 hours. turned it to 3 snowflakes and will check again in a couple hours. I feel like maybe something was plugged in the burner assembly because the flame seems bigger and it sounds Louder. When we were camping, I could barely hear the flame but now it's easy to hear even a foot from the camper. So I'm hoping something was clogging the burner assembly and that it's not something intermittent.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
rtreptow7 wrote:
No. Fridge is not in the slide. Plugged stack? On the roof? Or the metal cylindrical thing in back of the fridge. Can you see the photo? Is that flame look good?

Stack is the metal cylindrical stack in the back of the fridge. I blew mine out with compressed air.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen, same situation as yours. I tried everything, blew out the stack with compressed air, replaced the regulator at the propane tanks. Then finally was at a loss, so I got a mobile RV guy who charged a lot of money. He checked the propane pressure at the stove, but did not check it at the propane burner in the fridge. His diagnosis was it was the propane regulator at the back of the fridge. He didn't have one, so I then ordered one and replaced it at his direction. Problem didn't change -- fridge worked fine on electric but not on propane.

Our fridge is in the slide, so what I eventually discovered is that the rubber propane supply line in the slide, which zig zags in and out held by a metal zig zag mechanism, had kinked. So I had flame, but it wasn't enough. I had a new custom hose made at a custom hose place, installed it, and problem fixed.

I can tell you that it is very very hard to tell by looking at the flame if it is getting enough propane. Our flame hardly looks different now that when it wasn't working on propane.

So add to your list of possible causes, the propane regulator that is at the back of the fridge inside the plastic accessible panel. That wasn't the cause of my problem but it is a possible cause.

Follow up to my story: Called up RV mobile tech bloke and complained that he charged me a lot of money for his service call and diagnosis and that I did exactly what he advised, but that it fixed nothing, PLUS, I was out $40 or $50 for the fridge propane regulator. To his credit, he refunded his service call charge, though of course I was still out the $ and install time for the fridge propane regulator.

Maybe I shoulda been a mobile RV tech guy -- they sure know how to charge!!

Good luck!

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtreptow7 wrote:
Trying to attach a photo of the burner flame:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ur2dYaYlkQqp0D8_MelZQt1Iqxd7CUKL/view?usp=drivesdk

It tells me I don’t have permission to see it.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The 3/4 pipe right above the flame is what needs to be checked to see if it is plugged. There is a baffle 3-6 inches up the pipe. You can use a metal coat hanger type wire to rattle it. Sometimes debris hangs up on it. rattleing will knock it loose, sometimes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Fridge is not in the slide. Plugged stack? On the roof? Or the metal cylindrical thing in back of the fridge. Can you see the photo? Is that flame look good?

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Is your fridge in the slide?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
that won,t help over the net. your stack could be clogged not letting the heat out.

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trying to attach a photo of the burner flame:

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure your pressure. Bad regulator is a very common cause of this. YouTube has plenty of videos showing how.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all so clean the exhaust stack.