cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Landing Jacks Speed

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
The front jacks run at different speeds.
Its an 09 Keystone Everest. A single motor system with the long square bar that extends to the other side.
The motor side, right side (door side) runs the jack down much slower than the left side, (driver side).
The system does not seem bound up or any loud gear noise. It works fine with the exception if the slow side (right) extends down 2-3 inches the left extends 4-5 inches. I have been adjusting this with blocking.
Then when leaving, its the opposite. After retracting the jacks, the motor side is fully up and the other side (driver side) is still 2-3 inches down. So to leave & get the left side back up, I take the bar off the motor & spin that side back up by hand.
I bought the rig new & never had any problem until this started late last year. Confused yet? Any Idea's ??
I don't want to buy a new motor if its the jacks and I don't want to buy new jacks if its the motor.
Thanks for any help.....
25 REPLIES 25

Jon_L
Explorer
Explorer
If its not making noise the problem could be that the gear is slipping on the shaft.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The way they are built I cannot see how they can run at different speeds. They have the same gearboxes and run off the same motor. My guess is one is cranked up farther than the other so it looks like one is slower than the other. Disconnect the tube that connects them and make sure each is starting from the same place.
B.O.
I don't believe they are actually running at different speeds. But if one leg skips a tooth on the 90° bevel gear every revolution, then it will fall behind the other leg.

Yes, but would that not be making some unusual noise, never have had that happen ,so don't know .
It sure should. But it's about the only thing that makes any kind of sense.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The way they are built I cannot see how they can run at different speeds. They have the same gearboxes and run off the same motor. My guess is one is cranked up farther than the other so it looks like one is slower than the other. Disconnect the tube that connects them and make sure each is starting from the same place.
B.O.
I don't believe they are actually running at different speeds. But if one leg skips a tooth on the 90° bevel gear every revolution, then it will fall behind the other leg.

Yes, but would that not be making some unusual noise, never have had that happen ,so don't know .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.

Have had to do that, when working on them, but hopefully he has done that, but yes makes no sense they are running at different speeds, just can't. The big question if they are just uneven, how would they have got there in the first place.

I had the bolt come out , and then just adjusted the drive side, to match the other side when I noticed one side was not going up. Then put in a new bolt. Thats about the only way they would get uneven.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the bolt come out of opposite side of the motor, of course only the drive side moves. Thats not the case here.

Being that they are both geared the same ,they have to move at the same speed, as said take the cap off ,and see if some teeth are missing. You would think you could hear some unusual noise, it just about has to be skipping gears or missing teeth . Could be the worm gear ,but they usually get messed up, and bind up, then nothing wants to move, or you can hear the strain, but they still move at the same speed .

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some kind of stripped gear is the only logical answer.

What's surprising is you don't hear any pops or other noises as the gears slip.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Have you greased or lived either leg? Sounds like needs some new grease

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it wouldn't be the motor as that wouldn't affect one leg separately from the other. My guess is that the leg that is slower has bad gear teeth in the 90° spur gear at the top of the leg.

Easy to check, pull the plastic cap off the top of the leg and take a look. Spin the drive and see what happens. Even though you don't hear it, it probably skips a tooth or two every revolution.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, a little confusing. If you disconnect the motor and bar to manually make legs the same, they should stay close to the same. Do you possibly have a broken/missing tooth on the upper gear on one side?

Jerry