cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front living room

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I were looking at the new 5th wheels at an RV show the other day and really liked a couple we saw with the living room in the front. We are thinking of upgrading from our TT and going full time and this floor plan was particularly inviting. Impressions and various makes and models would be appreciated.
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2
24 REPLIES 24

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
My concern would be the high profile an d how the wind would affect pulling. I have seen some rigs going down the road that are just too tall for me.

Chicat
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the front LR we looked at were short and dark. They also seem to separate the kitchen/dining area from the living area.

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have a JAYCO have you looked at their 38FLSA?JAYCO 38FLSA Floorplan Theater seats facing the TV, as well as seperate bath area.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the comments regarding FL 5th wheels. The wife and I are not in a big hurry but are seriously considering it. Further comments, positive and negative, will be appreciated.
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I like the looks of a RL due to the fact that most campsites are back-ins. This puts the RL windows open to viewing more of nature.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I'd consider is the AC in the front. Is it completely ducted similar to many newer rear AC units? I know my front bedroom is ducted but still has the unit and dump vents in the ceiling. This makes it mighty loud, where the rear AC is fully ducted and not visible. Sleeping with the AC in the front doesn't bother me, it's just white noise but I couldn't imagine trying to relax and watch TV.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
My thought on the FLR is the need for two AC's. As fulltimers we get by with one with our seasonal travels and although we are south in the winter and we have seen some freezing temps the bedroom stays warmer because of the basement. I do like that most FLR's we've seen have the second entry door to the bathroom. Kitchen storage has been lacking in some.
Truth is I've never seen the perfect fifthwheel floorplan but for us some work better than others.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ki4fpr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Big Horn 5th Wheel with the Front Living Room and we love it. Neither of us is over 6 ft tall and we still have plenty of head room. Some times as you know in rv's you give up something to other features but we feel it was worth it. We had another 5th wheel.

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the FL design... We "liked" a couple of them, but, when we looked at basement storage and how we "live" in our 5er, the stairs up to the living room are a large con in the benefit / con columns. We are not getting younger; I already have RA and OA (both forms of arthritis) and we spend far more time going from living area to kitchen and back than we do to the bedroom from the kitchen. I hazard to think of what trying to balance a cup of coffee while going up those steps multiple times per evening will do to the floor. As we get older, those steps are more of an issue. I suppose, if we were younger, that wouldn't be such an issue, but, age happens... I only go to bed and get up once per day, while my, and my wife's, trips from the living area to the kitchen or dining area are numerous.

The lack of basement storage is also an issue. My wife is a weaver and she spins her own yarns. It is not unusual for our current basement to be half full of bags containing raw wool, assorted other animal furs and cotton for her to spin into yarn and then weave while we are traveling. We don't full time, but, have been known to be on the road for 6 months at a time and storage space becomes an issue when you have to carry "stuff" for extended stays away from home base; and, yes, I have looked longingly at some of the DPs with, what appears to be endless storage space that runs the entire length of the coach on both sides...yep, jealous.

Fine, I guess for many, but, not our cup of tea and certainly not for our future age factor. You really need to look at a lot of things before making a decision; think long and hard about how you travel, how you "live" once set up, how long you plan on keeping your coach (remember, you can't get around the "age" thing) and then find a floor plan that fits that "life style". The FL didn't fit ours, but, it may fit yours.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 36ft Bighorn. LR is in back where the big windows are. The ceiling is much higher (we don't have or want a ceiling fan). In our fiver, there is a very large window on the LR slide and one on the back. It's a great space. We like the front bedroom since it has much less light and stays dark and cozy even on sunny mornings.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

Figgmoes
Explorer
Explorer
The Montana 3750FL is our 3rd 5th wheel & have owned since May 2013. We have been full timing since June 2014 & is the reason we bought the FL. It allows for so much more living space, separate back door to BA, spacious kitchen/dining. Agreed there could be more storage but then you would loose living area. As for steps . . . there are TWO to the LR, TV is not difficult to see from either side since it is SO large. As for guest seating - we are outside 90% of time - we are camping - (unless storming) so not an issue. There is more than enough closet/drawer space in BR since it is a slide of it's own as well as under the bed storage. We have wonderful windows in LR - 3 on each slide. LR ceiling height is more than adequate for 6'3" & below. Basement is smaller than our Big Country but we have managed to make it all work even moving from our 3500 sq ft house. We have anything we could possibly need & if we don't we can borrow from our fellow camping neighbors where ever we are.
Mike & Tess

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have looked at several front living areas and for full timers, it is very lacking in interior as well as exterior storage. The low ceiling hight up front is not comfortable as is the side saddle TV viewing position. The kitchen storage area is lacking as well as limited closet and drawers in the bedroom.

It is pretty and some what a novelty. all I can add is to sit is and "play house" for a couple of hours and see how you would fit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
We found a front living floor plan that really caught our interest, it's a Heartland BH 3750 FL.

For us there were two unique features that we hadn't noticed in other FL floor plans, a separate bath (i.e. not having to walk thru the bathroom to get to the rear bedroom), and stairs entering the bedroom.

The reason for the bedroom stairs was the additional outside storage compartments (yes 2) that ran underneath the bedroom floor :C

We just wish they had this FP in their Landmark series.

We'll be headed to Pomona later this month to see what other manufacturers are offering.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. We appreciate the input. Keep it coming.
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2