cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny Spare Tire Story

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Well it was funny at the time. My brother has owned his current 5th wheel for over four years now, a Primetime Crusader that he bought new. The first year the spare was on the back bumper but the last 3 years he's been carrying it in the back of his truck. The night before last he calls me as were getting ready to head out to Indiana on Friday. His family and mine generally camp together. He states " your not going to believe this, my spare does not fit my camper". He just noticed after four years that the spare is for an 8 lug axle and his is a 6 lug. I just had to laugh, not at the goof, but at the sight of him carrying that spare around for the past 3 years. Countless times of moving it from his garage to the truck and never noticing. Good thing he didn't need it in that time. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L
3 REPLIES 3

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I had a similar story. Bought a boat new 10 years back and insisted they throw in a spare tire with the deal. Well, they did. I left the tires on the trailer too long and when I went to change the 3 of them out (one at a time), I found out the spare they "threw in" didn't fit the trailer. But, it sure gave me piece of mind for almost 8 years! I had to laugh at that point....
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a used trailer. Checked and aired up the tires and spare before heading north. Tire let go (slow leak) just outside Atlanta on I75. Went to get the spare and found out the two nuts holding it to the tire carrier where rusted tight. Took over an hour and a half to break those two nuts off the threaded rod. Only took a 1/2 hour to do the tire change.
Lesson learned..do a dry run of a tire change at your convenience not at the side of the road and find out you have problems.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing he didn't need it real life, yet.

I followed a suggestion someone posted here about changing the spare tire in your own driveway first. Just to make sure everything is OK. I found out that my lug wrench was not long enough to get the bolt off that holds it onto the carrier.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"