cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Started All By Itself

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I know that you think that I am making this up, but this actually happen to me today and I was wondering has anything like this has happen to anyone else.

This week I did an upgrade conversion by installing electric over hydraulic disc brake on my toy hauler. This morning I took the hauler out for a break in run to seat the pads to the rotors and to double check for any possible leaks. After about 30 miles of running I returned home and was backing the hauler in my pole building I could hear the generator running as entered the building. I was totally shocked, enter the hauler and hit the stop button.

I have not started or have the generator on in over two weeks. This is an Onan 5000K generator that comes installed in many different toy haulers. I swear I was alone and the only one around the hauler and I did not started the generator by mistake. It was not on when I left the house, but was running strong when I returned home.

Maybe I need a gremlin bell for the toy hauler?:h
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH
5 REPLIES 5

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
When ours was starting by itself, it turned out that the start switch inside the RV was faulty.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

DCDOC
Explorer
Explorer
The day I towed my TH from the dealer, when I got home the generator was running. I know it wasn't running when I left the dealership. The next time I towed the TH, when I got to my destination, the generator was running.One afternoon I was checking the generator and when I pushed the generator door into the upper gromits the generator tried to start. What I found was that the wire loom was laying across the starter switch at the generator. I moved the loom away from the switch and never had another problem. What I suspect was happening was that the wire loom was pressing just enough on the switch that when towing the TH the motion was enough to start the generator.You should have seen the look on the mechanics face when I told him the generator was starting on its own. This may or not be your problem, it worked for me.
04 Dodge CTD towing a Jayco Recon 08 37u:@

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAmericaForums/tabid/79/forumid/1/threadid/285808/scope/posts/Def...

some older posts on the subject.

Thanks, Now I might not be crazy, but I 'm still confused on what to do and how it actually happen.
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAmericaForums/tabid/79/forumid/1/threadid/285808/scope/posts/Def...

some older posts on the subject.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We must be afflicted by the same poltergeist! :B

Mine is a TT, but the water pump mysteriously turns itself on. I put a comment about this on another one of my posts. I ended up putting a double switch on the water pump. For no apparent reason, it's turned on (at home) in the morning. We live in the country, so very seldom lock the doors. I thought maybe one of the neighbors might be snooping at night, but who knows. Anyway, with the second toggle switch, it hasn't come on again.

Maybe the poltergeist hasn't found the second switch yet.

Really, weird things happen some time, with no real explanation! If it happens again, I may suggest putting a secondary on-off switch in the electric line somewhere, so both have to be "on" in order for the generator to actually run.

I had some weird things happen to my previous camper, I always though it was my pet poltergeist! Who knows! I never did figure some things out on my last camper.