cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glad I bought the ole extended warranty

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Fuzion 401 here, was out in the yard running the generator with both AC'S running...here in central Florida it's still in the 80's and humid out. Anyways about 45 minutes in the rear AC shut down about the same time hearing a surge from the generator. I checked breakers, fuses, cycled the front AC off and on a few times. Everything else works fine. I didn't have time to climb on the roof to look at anything but it sounds like something internal anyway. So it looks like it's going back to Camping World to sit for a few months to be repaired. Any suggestions guys?
13 REPLIES 13

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Good information. It's not very often that I try to run everything on the generator. Typically here in Florida we stay at full hookup sites, unless we're at a racetrack somewhere.

whs9841
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan 5500 in my 2014 Fuzion 331. I have two 30 amp breakers on my generator. The front A/C is on one and the back A/C and microwave are on the other. The other electrical items are pretty much split up between the two breakers. We tailgate at college football games in our toyhauler, so we are using our generator a lot in September and October.

We are normally very good about turning off the back A/C before we run the microwave. The first year we had the RV my wife ran the microwave and back A/C (and other small items that were plugged in) and it tripped the breaker on the generator. I heard what sounded like a surge before it tripped. Since then that same breaker has tripped very periodically with just the back A/C running. When it happens it is usually after the A/C has been running for a while.....I hear a small surge and then the breaker trips. It isn't consistent and I haven't been able to figure out why it trips.

I went through all kinds of tests to try to determine a pattern, but I haven't found one. I even took it to a Cummins location here in San Antonio to have the generator looked at. I took it to them in July. They ran both A/C's all day and never had an issue with the generator. They even plugged other things in and couldn't get it to trip. If they purposely overloaded the circuit then the breaker tripped as expected. Basically, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I had them change the spark plugs because they were due, but that didn't change anything.

This past football season we had the same issue with the breaker tripping after the back A/C runs too long. I do plug other things like an LED tv and a satellite receiver in, but those shouldn't draw enough to cause it to trip. I'm going to try to do some more testing in May/June when it gets hotter. Who knows what, if anything, I'll find.

BTW, the Onan generator has a manufacturer's 3-yr warranty. I would get it serviced under that manufacturer's warranty before trying to use the extended warranty. The manufacturer's warranty is "bumper to bumper". If anything is broken, they will fix it for free. You may have to take it to a Cummins service center to get warranty work done.
2016 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 D/A
2014 Keystone Fuzion 331
DW, 8 yr old daughter, 9 yr old yellow lab

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:
my Onan 5500 has a 20A and a 30A circuit for a total 50A, and the water heater and an AC shared the 20A side. Whenever the WH kicked on the breaker would trip, so we moved it to the 30A side.

This ^ is good advice and worth checking on a new unit...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
If its a 5500 Onan, they can run 2 a/c,,, but that will put you at close to 3/4 or more of max amp draw the genny can produce.
If your convertor, water heater, microwave, etc, kick on, probably will trip a breaker, as you have seen.

Also, when running 2 ac at the same time on a 5500, best to start 1 up first and set t-stat to max cold <60ยฐ(so it won't cycle), then make sure nothing else is running, and do the same for the second ac. Then 1 by one plug in the convertor, turn on water heater, etc, till breaker trips. Then you'll know what you can run simultaneously.

Its not good for the genny commutator and brushes, or the breakers to constantly be tripping and drawing over max amperage. So its good to know what the genny can take, without tripping the breakers, that makes it easier to avoid unnecessary genny wear and tear.

Keep in mind, when an a/c starts the compressor draws lock rotor amperage for a few seconds, that can be many times the normal running amps. So keeping the ac from cycling off/on, from the t-stat when at or close to max amps on the genny will help stop the breaker from tripping from over amperage on ac start up lock rotor amp draw.

If you're a little mechanically minded, take the covers off the ac and install a $10 hard start kit. It will allow the compressor to start faster and draw less amps on start ups. Thus maybe not blowing the breaker or straining your new genny by drawing less amps on start ups...

There are 3 basic types of hard start kits, any of them will help a lot. The best 2 wire hard starts are the 'kick start' kits, but more expensive at $20 or so.
A potential relay and capacitor is the best, but takes more knowledge to get the correct kit and install it.

The simple cheapest $10 hard start is just a 2 wire connection to the run cap in the electric box of the ac unit. Then neatly mounting the cap with the clip or 1 screw somewhere in the ac elec box. Very simple to do...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
Thanks for all of the great ideas guys. It ended up being the 20A breaker on the generator being tripped. I can't believe I forgot to check that yesterday. I also turned off the outside water heater switch to zero in on the problem. Seems to be fine now. So no extended warranty needed at least for now

The breakers on my generator trip regularly it seems. Not sure why.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the great ideas guys. It ended up being the 20A breaker on the generator being tripped. I can't believe I forgot to check that yesterday. I also turned off the outside water heater switch to zero in on the problem. Seems to be fine now. So no extended warranty needed at least for now

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Keep us updated on the progress of your extended warranty claim.

X2.
Please!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
So it looks like it's going back to Camping World to sit for a few months to be repaired. Any suggestions guys?

My suggestion: find another service provider. With the horror stories posted here about Camping World service, it is not worth the risk.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Keep us updated on the progress of your extended warranty claim.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
It would check the date codes on the side of the A/C under the cover. Dometic had a bad run of A/C's and will replace under warranty. They sent a mobile technician to repair ours and 10 days later we had a new unit at no charge. Just call Dometic with your serial number and date code and they will take care of it, your A/C also comes with a 2 year warranty.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Call your extended warranty provider. File a claim. Call a mobile technician, you may have to pay the mobile tech service fee. Make sure you get PRIOR AUTHORIZATION before any work is done, other than the original assessment. Many extended warranty companies will give you a list of authorized providers if you have a question of who to call. Just follow ALL the rules on your policy. As for other suggestions: The generator may have TWO circuit breaker switches, make sure both switches are ok.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Could be your water heater or some other electric device kicking on that is overloading the circuit. Not sure what your generator is, but my Onan 5500 has a 20A and a 30A circuit for a total 50A, and the water heater and an AC shared the 20A side. Whenever the WH kicked on the breaker would trip, so we moved it to the 30A side.

Otherwise, find a way to get shore power to it so you can verify it isn't related to power.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Having dealt with an extended warranty many many years ago....my suggestion is to make sure you document everything, read the fine print and make sure that the repair you need is covered and not denied......
Just saying from experience...

Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro