cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gooseneck or 5th wheel

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. We just picked up a 2006 Silverado dually for towing a 5th wheel that we've yet to buy. It has a virgin bed in it, so I have to buy and install a hitch. My question is for people who have had both types. Which do you prefer? I like the idea of a gooseneck, so you have a completely flat bed to haul things, but, you need to buy an adapter for it. It appears to me (being completely inexperienced with 5th wheel trailers) that the 5th wheel hitch would be easier for hookup. However, I'm guessing it's a real bear to get in and out of the truck bed So, before I do either, I thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jeff1953 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

Warranty most likely won't be an issue, since we're looking at buying used. My main concern would be safety. Are the adapter inherently not as safe?

Not about safety as much as the, rare, but real possibility of damaging the FW frame in the pin box area. When you need to turn a stuck nut or bolt, do you grab a "cheater" to put on your wrench to give you more leverage? Think about adding an 18" "cheater" onto the kingpin that's bolted to the frame, and the additional torque that produces under acceleration or, more importantly, =deceleration=, on the frame. Given that the vast majority of FW frames are built to =just= carry the spec'd weights and dynamic forces, you certainly don't want to compromise them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeff1953 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

Warranty most likely won't be an issue, since we're looking at buying used. My main concern would be safety. Are the adapter inherently not as safe?

There have been some problems with cracked frames on the 5th wheels associated (correctly or not) to the use of gooseneck adapters.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Or, you can install 5th wheel rails and then use either a 5th wheel hitch or a goose neck hitch. TOW HERE
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jeff1953 wrote:
Greetings. We just picked up a 2006 Silverado dually for towing a 5th wheel that we've yet to buy. It has a virgin bed in it, so I have to buy and install a hitch. My question is for people who have had both types. Which do you prefer? I like the idea of a gooseneck, so you have a completely flat bed to haul things, but, you need to buy an adapter for it. It appears to me (being completely inexperienced with 5th wheel trailers) that the 5th wheel hitch would be easier for hookup. However, I'm guessing it's a real bear to get in and out of the truck bed So, before I do either, I thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks.

Most FW mfrs will void the frame warranty if you use a GN adapter, though some approve using the Reese Goosebox, but not all.

There are several options to leave yourself a clean bed when the hitch is taken out. You can install the B&W Turnover Ball GN base and use the B&W Companion FW hitch (my first choice). You can also use a couple other hitches that would use the TO Ball to anchor to, most notably the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. This also gives you a fully capable GN hitch if you ever needed to use it. Not sure if it's made, but you could see if there's an OEM puck adapter kit for your truck, to allow the newer style puck mount hitches to be used.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a newer trailer with a Lippert frame, then you might have the option of swapping out the rigid pin box for a Goosebox. This device is gaining in popularity as it gives a cushioned ride and mounts to a gooseneck ball leaving your bed free. They aren't much lighter than a standard hitch but are hooked to the trailer which eliminates lifting and storage.

I agree with the advise to pick out the trailer first.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use both. I have a short 18' 5th wheel that I use for hunting and fishing. It has the gooseneck adapter that I built. I tow it with my old 2001 gas truck with a shorter quad cab and I can see it easily for hookup. The 5th only weighs 3600# so it is light and the frame is stiff. Our good 5th is a 34' ( used when the wife is along) and we use it with the 5th wheel. I tow it with our 2005 Dodge diesel and the quad cab on it is longer so hooking up a gooseneck is more difficult as you can't see the ball without raising way up out of the seat. Hooking up the 5th is easy as you can see everything you are doing seating comfortable in the seat.

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500