cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gooseneck or 5th wheel

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. We just picked up a 2006 Silverado dually for towing a 5th wheel that we've yet to buy. It has a virgin bed in it, so I have to buy and install a hitch. My question is for people who have had both types. Which do you prefer? I like the idea of a gooseneck, so you have a completely flat bed to haul things, but, you need to buy an adapter for it. It appears to me (being completely inexperienced with 5th wheel trailers) that the 5th wheel hitch would be easier for hookup. However, I'm guessing it's a real bear to get in and out of the truck bed So, before I do either, I thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert approves the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames and since most fifth wheels made today have frames by Lippert, probably works on most of them. The 20K Goose Box weighs 225 pounds so it is substantial. Gen-Y also makes one which uses a rubber torsion system instead of the air bag like the Goose Box. On another forum a fellow who has a New Horizons being built said NH was going to test the Gen-Y version on their fifth wheels but the hole patterns did not match up so it was being delayed. The beauty of those systems is there is no hitch to store, whether its lightweight or not. Just a 5 pound or so ball to remove.

A traditional style hitch, an Andersen type or Goose Box/Gen-Y all accomplish the same thing. My guess is failures are extremely rare. All that matters is if you like it and are comfortable with it.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Of the two basic adaptor designs, I may consider the Anderson type design......but, would โ€œneverโ€ consider the old style, which essentially is a piece of pipe extending from the fifth wheel pin down to the ball in the truck bed.

The pipe type extension, acts as a lever, tremendously โ€œmultiplyingโ€ the torque the the trailer frame. If you study the differences in material strength, and geometry between a gooseneck type trailer and a fifth wheel trailer design......it should be obvious why you should not use the โ€œpipe-typeโ€ adaptor! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:

Lyle is among the few that understand the mechanics of what happens with a goose neck hitch.

No way will I ever use a GN or GN adapter on a 5th wheel frame.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. Personally, I don't think I'd use a GN adapter on an in-house Artic Fox frame...just to be safe. I have no clue on Northwood's stance on them, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
justme wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

The reason for voiding the warranty is their frame is not strong enough. I would not buy a 5th wheel trailer from a manufacturer that voids the warranty for goose neck towing for obvious reason.

That's good to hear, but ... my reply was in response to the original posters question asking which hitch he should get. What trailer YOU would buy has no bearing on what trailer he may buy. But what trailer he does buy may have some effect on what hitch he needs to buy.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

justme
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

The reason for voiding the warranty is their frame is not strong enough. I would not buy a 5th wheel trailer from a manufacturer that voids the warranty for goose neck towing for obvious reason.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Jeff1953 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

I had my bed lined before installing my own Turnover Ball. NBD to drill through the lining with a 4" hole saw. Given that I'm in AZ, I didn't worry about painting or coating the exposed edges of the 5 holes used for the TO Ball. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Lyle is among the few that understand the mechanics of what happens with a goose neck hitch.

No way will I ever use a GN or GN adapter on a 5th wheel frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.pullrite.com/2600
Check out the PullRite Superlite hitch...same design as the Andersen.

I have GN and 5th wheel trailers so I have both hitch types for all my trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jeff1953 wrote:

Warranty most likely won't be an issue, since we're looking at buying used. My main concern would be safety. Are the adapter inherently not as safe?

There is a reason they don't warranty it. It substantially increases the stress on the trailer frame. If they haven't accounted for it in the design, it could cause a failure.

Really not a big deal to pull the hitch...just leave it attached to the pinbox with the lock on and lift it out with the front of the trailer. Then leave it hang there...won't hurt a thing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff1953 wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Have you already dismissed the idea of a turnover ball and an Anderson Ultimate Hitch? It's been ideal for me.

No, I haven't dismissed it, since I'd never heard of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just started looking at hitches. I'm new to the 5er market. That looks like a pretty nice setup. So, it allows you to tow both 5th wheel and gooseneck? (not at the same time, of course) How heavy is the base for removal purposes? Thanks.

Under 40 pounds. Installs in about 5 minutes.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Been fulltiming fr 13 years and up unti last year he always used a 5er hitch with airgbags. When we purchased our new Chevrolet 3500 DRW 2L custom hauler I researched the Reece Goose Box. Been using te GB for a year now ad liked very much. I donโ€™t see a reason to g back to a 5er hitch.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
JMO.....5th wheel! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Have you already dismissed the idea of a turnover ball and an Anderson Ultimate Hitch? It's been ideal for me.

No, I haven't dismissed it, since I'd never heard of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just started looking at hitches. I'm new to the 5er market. That looks like a pretty nice setup. So, it allows you to tow both 5th wheel and gooseneck? (not at the same time, of course) How heavy is the base for removal purposes? Thanks.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jeff1953 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

I had my bed lined before installing my own Turnover Ball. NBD to drill through the lining with a 4" hole saw. Given that I'm in AZ, I didn't worry about painting or coating the exposed edges of the 5 holes used for the TO Ball. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member