cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gooseneck or 5th wheel

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. We just picked up a 2006 Silverado dually for towing a 5th wheel that we've yet to buy. It has a virgin bed in it, so I have to buy and install a hitch. My question is for people who have had both types. Which do you prefer? I like the idea of a gooseneck, so you have a completely flat bed to haul things, but, you need to buy an adapter for it. It appears to me (being completely inexperienced with 5th wheel trailers) that the 5th wheel hitch would be easier for hookup. However, I'm guessing it's a real bear to get in and out of the truck bed So, before I do either, I thought I'd check with the experts. Thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
garyp4951 wrote:
Jeff1953 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

I would line-x it first, and not need to tape everything off, and they will not damage the liner when installing the turnover bracket.

I agree 100%. I installed my own TO Ball and helped my brother install his. Both our trucks had liner beforehand and had zero damage from the install and have had zero damage from our Companion hitches. (Doesn't mean that I haven't buggered up my liner from =other= use and abuse.) For a non-OEM GN/FW truck, there are 5 holes to drill; 1 4" hole for the ball mount and 4 1/2" holes for the safety chain loops. Just marked the liner and drilled right down through. I =did= spend the money on a 4" hole saw, and have used it several times for other projects, so it was money well spent.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeff1953 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

I would line-x it first, and not need to tape everything off, and they will not damage the liner when installing the turnover bracket.

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how much you are going to tow your 5th wheel. But if you want the 5th wheel and truck to not be in a bind when you tow it. And you don't want to feel the 5th wheel or have stuff move around in the 5th wheel under normal towing. This does not include having to slam on the brakes . You need to buy a good air hitch. Either by Hensley or a airsafe hitch. When I bought my 5th wheel in 2006, I knew nothing about them . I had a cabover camper for 23 years while working. A friend of mine had a 5th wheel during that time and pulled his center console boat behind the 5th wheel going to the lake. He had a regular Reese hitch all that time till in 2006. He bought a 25k Airsafe hitch with the Binkley Holland Head. He told me that he isn't saying it is worth the money but he likes the ride. He forgot his soap bottle on the kitchen counter when he left the lake. And when he got home it was still sitting there. That was all I needed to know. I bought one and the first time we pulled the new 5th wheel . The wife said, you don't even know the 5th wheel is back their. Their is no strain on the 5th wheel or truck. The old saying you get what you pay for.You only have to spend the money once to be happy.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they still make Reese that mount on the bed rails. :h

My 15K Classic gets me down the road.

Now for the "how heavy is it" part.

If i am gonna park the camper for a while the hitch hangs on the king pin. At 76 plus I am not about to wrestle it in and out of the bed.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
C Schomer wrote:
I had both kinds of trailers for a few years and I finally bought a kingpin post for the g-neck trailer cuz I quickly got tired of changing back and forth and I wasn't about to put a g-neck adaptor on the fiver. I'm also 68 yo and I can still lift my B&W out, in one piece, and have a flat bed. Craig

Craig's not saying that he lifts it out in one piece...with a hoist. :B

I'm 62 and can lift my Companion out in 2 pieces, but I also have a gym rat of a son-in-law, so, why? :B Only costs me a stop at the local growler store and I get to share. Saves my back and shoulders, too. I =will= do it, if I need to, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I believe there is a good bit of apples vs. oranges conversation going on. I myself do not put an Andersen Ultimate or SuperLite 2600 in the "gooseneck" category. A gooseneck conversion is a whole different animal.
I think your best options are the Andersen Ultimate, SuperLite 2600, or Reese Goosebox. All require a gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck. If the truck does not have the OEM towing package with the pucks and a gooseneck ball socket, an underbed system will have to be installed. Typical is a B&W Turnover Ball. With a gooseneck ball you do not need the old style rails. The Andersen, PullRite SuperLite 2600 and Reese Goosebox go right on the ball. All you have to remove is the ball to have a clean bed. Takes longer to climb in the truck bed than to remove the ball.
The 5th you are shopping for is relatively light. Any of the 3 systems will work.
I personally like the simplicity of my SuperLite 2600 versus my previous conventional Curt hitch. I don't have an issue with the Andersen aluminum construction but the PullRite is steel. It is a bit heavier than Andersen but I can install and remove it easily at 69 yrs old and with 3 back surgeries.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:

This is what we have. Our used truck already had the under the bed. B&W gooseneck mount. I found a used Companion on craigslist to use with. It's solid as a rock. Very well built. The only downside is it is very heavy when removing. But pull two pins and the head comes off the frame and then it's much easier to remove. Not a deal breaker for us as we tend to leave it in all summer unless I need to bed for hauling.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I'm also 68 yo and I can still lift my B&W out, in one piece, and have a flat bed. Craig"

Manly Man I say!
Yeah, my thought too since that thing weights well over 200 lbs. in one piece. I don't have issues with lifting it out in two pieces, but no way with it all together. ๐Ÿ™‚

The 18k Companion is doable in one pc but why??? I certainly remove my RVK3600 in two pcs. I am a youngin at 62.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I'm also 68 yo and I can still lift my B&W out, in one piece, and have a flat bed. Craig"

Manly Man I say!
Yeah, my thought too since that thing weights well over 200 lbs. in one piece. I don't have issues with lifting it out in two pieces, but no way with it all together. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Manly Man I say!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had both kinds of trailers for a few years and I finally bought a kingpin post for the g-neck trailer cuz I quickly got tired of changing back and forth and I wasn't about to put a g-neck adaptor on the fiver. I'm also 68 yo and I can still lift my B&W out, in one piece, and have a flat bed. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not going there again guys!)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
No sure which one I have it's no biggie to take it off in two pieces. I am 68 years old and it take about 5 minutes to remove or install it
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

Jeff1953
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at it and doing some research, I'm really leaning towards the Anderson Ultimate. If it's rated for 20K, that's more than I'll likely ever be towing and I like the fact that it's easy in/easy out. Any suggestions on bed rails? I've been considering the B&W RVK2500 custom installation kit for the Silverado. I like the fact that I don't have to drill into the frame like is necessary for the universal kits.