cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heater Motor Squeal

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
My heater fan motor is starting to squeal, despite the life-time sealed bearing in it. Does anyone have experience in changing a heater fan motor? I tried searching on "heater motor" without success. The rig is a 2004 Sunnybrook Titan 5th wheel and the heater is a 30,000 BTU Atwood Hydroflame model 8531. I expect that this is a fairly common heater across 5th wheel and trailer brands. I looked inside, because it appeared that the job would be straight forward from the parts diagram, and I did manage to pull off and then put back the fan chamber front plate. But the motor is inside the main fan and its shaft has fans both inside and outside of the burner chamber. Space is very tight, there are lots of wires, and I couldn't figure out how to get to the motor screws. Does anyone know if or how this might be fixed? So far, the squeal only starts when air temperature in the fan box is below about 57 deg. F.

JRMunn
12 REPLIES 12

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 Suburban Furnace started squealing in 2018. I just replaced the whole furnace and was pleased to discover the newer version is MUCH quieter.
Very Happy!
Don't know if that's true for Atwood...
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
2015 winter we went home for Christmas. In Oct I hit the furnace and the bushing squealed as it had done for 2 first times on startup and no more but this time we were to be gone so a new motor with a bearing was installed. Not easy to remove .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
Joppy - This is getting close to home. I have blocked or screened every crack I can find and still get some mice in both the trailer's underside and living space. When I opened the furnace, I found mouse droppings and acorn shells on the floor, which means they have been in the ducts - but nothing in the fan blower. Now, traps seem to keep them under control and mice that do get in are small. But they still get in somewhere.

JRMunn

Joppy
Explorer
Explorer
On my old Alfa Gold the motor did the same thing. So I pulled the heater an found a dead mouse in the squirrel cage fan. Put it back in and it was fine. Still chuckle thinking about that running like the dickens in that fan.
1995,F350,DRW,Diesel,Banks Power Pack,exhaust brake,smart loc. Gauges, Hayden tranny cooler
1995 Alfa Gold

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen - Thank you for the motor number. This helps to confirm my best guess from searching through the many possibilities. I hope to confirm with a trip to the trailer tomorrow before taking the heater apart. While searching the internet, I came across "Bryant manuals" as a source of information.

JRMunn

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My book shows to be Hydro Flame part 37357 for 8531 III 31-35 furnace.
Motor at Amazon

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to garyp4851 for the very helpful and informative video about rv heater repair. Now, having looked around the internet for motors, I think my last question is what motor to buy. I know there is a difference between motors that were available for different heater models covered by the rv heater documents, but that was 16 years ago. Now, the model numbers are different, and maybe the motors. This is the long lead-in to my question of what to buy for a 2004 model 8531 Atwood Hydro Flame furnace?

JRMunn

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do, TX. Average service life of the component, item, appliance etc. Sixteen years is a longtime.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is they never define...who's lifetime?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Little hard to remove.
Need a long 1/8 inch Allen wrench to loosen combustion fan. Access is through small hole in blower housing.
Haven't seen any permanent motor bearings last very long.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hired mine done. Not easy.. for somebody like me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman