cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help - No Propane Flowing!

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
On road near Yellowstone, dw likes to cook and it's a little chilly at night. For our 06 Cougar 5'er filled both propane tanks yesterday but since then cannot get any gas to flow to the trailer. Red/green indicator stays red. Smelled a little propane near the tanks occasionally before the refill. Have tried the very slow opening thing with no change on both tanks individually. Turned the water heater electric option off to have something open in the gas line.Original regulator and tanks. Nothing helps. Thinking need new regulator. Or maybe one of the gas feed tank-to-regulator lines. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,

Dave
14 REPLIES 14

Flattman
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it fixed. For anyone else reading this post this happened to me and after replacing several pieces of the system it ended up being a bad valve on the tank. An unrepairable piece and had to buy new tank. I bought both new tanks figuring the other was probably not going to be far behind it. No problems since.
Dodge Ram 6.7L 4X4 Quadcab W/Reese Slider
K-Z Inferno 3905 w/TrailAir
Carson 20' Enclosed Trailer
Sandwinder LTX Pro LS2 Sandrail
2007 Yamaha Rhino

sadiesassy
Explorer
Explorer
INteresting - Had problems with my Propane system over JUly 4th.

Went into camping world and they suggested new pigtail since they are usually the first to go.
That did not help

After doing some tear down and leak checking - Turns out the step down regulator on the drivers side was leaking - alot. We replaced it and we purge the lines and everything is working better

Also had problems getting the water heater propane heater to light. Initially they thought it was altitude ( Yellowstone and Tetons). Turns out the nozzle was partially plugged.

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
It was the regulator, and also one of the tank-to-regulator hoses. Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions.
Thanks,

Dave

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
dave14117 wrote:
I think one of the Acme nuts may be broken. When it's tight there is still play in the line...so no way it could be closing the tank valve. QUESTION - if I steal the line from the other tank, leaving nothing attaching to that tank (it's Sunday and nothing's open), will the system still run?

I'd take it off and clean the threads with a stiff brush then try it again.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave14117 wrote:
I think one of the Acme nuts may be broken. When it's tight there is still play in the line...so no way it could be closing the tank valve. QUESTION - if I steal the line from the other tank, leaving nothing attaching to that tank (it's Sunday and nothing's open), will the system still run?

Yes that pigtail is bad....when connected there should be no movement.

You can use other pigtail but why?

Valve out both cylinders
Swap lever to other cylinder and slowly open valve

Which ever cylinder is opened first is primary...lever switches indication for RED/GREEN dial.

IF neither cylinder flows you could have 2 bad pigtails

(Without a hose connected to cylinder service valve--OPD----no propane will flow out if valve is opened. The spring loaded shut-off inside the connection has to be pushed open bu the 'center stub in ACME Nut)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,

Dave

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
The fast moving Propane could have iced up. This happened the one time my wife switched tanks. She didn't know to open the next tank valve slowly.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the cold air had something to do with it as well... When it is real cold mine doesn't work as well at regular temps outside. I guess high altitude plays hectic on flow as well...

I of course always do the stove top test with a lit burner to check out the flow. If that works normal with good blue flame and no RED flare-up then I know I am not mixing air with the flow...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I went through all of the suggestions above when my rig was 4 years old last year. Nothing worked, but a new regulator and when I still didn't have flow, 2 new pigtails to the tanks (I did put put the old pigtails on the new regulator just to make sure the regulator was in fact bad). No problems since. It did seem strange to me that all three items failed about the same time. I did work through checking each item individually and yes, they were all three bad.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
When opening my tanks too fast after refilling, what I had to do was shut the tanks off, remove the pigtails from the tank, then reattach the pigtails to the tanks, then slowly turn on the tank that the selector valve was pointing to. After turning on the tanks slowly the red indicator would turn green.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

2324delk
Explorer
Explorer
Very slowly is the key, watch for indicator to go green when you go slow enough.

My Cougar does same thing, When I fill both tanks.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dave14117 wrote:
On road near Yellowstone, dw likes to cook and it's a little chilly at night. For our 06 Cougar 5'er filled both propane tanks yesterday but since then cannot get any gas to flow to the trailer. Red/green indicator stays red. Smelled a little propane near the tanks occasionally before the refill. Have tried the very slow opening thing with no change on both tanks individually. Turned the water heater electric option off to have something open in the gas line.Original regulator and tanks. Nothing helps. Thinking need new regulator. Or maybe one of the gas feed tank-to-regulator lines. Any suggestions appreciated.

Likely the excess flow valve on the tank has shut off. Shut off the tanks, open the stove valves to allow any propane to escape. VERY SLOWLY open your tanks and try it again. You might have air in the lines, so it may take a while for things to light off.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
if you smelled a buildup of propane good chance your regulator went bad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both propane cylinders valves OPEN...swapping 'in service' lever from tank to tank and RED/GREEN stays RED??

Remove pigtails from cylinders........When you turn ACME NUT (Green nut) do you get a 'piff' of propane being released?

Inside that ACME Nut is a stub that pushes open a spring loaded shut-off valve inside the valve connection. If ACME NUT not fully tightened....no flow out of cylinder

Crack outlet fitting on regulator to main hose...any 'piff' of propane
Bad regulator.

Also........check that ALL propane appliances are turned OFF when trying to reset ACME excess flow device. Valve out cylinder/wait then slowly valve back in.
Should hear click.

Anything OPEN will act like excess flow because line pressure can not build up/equalize in hoses.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31