cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP PLEASE!! Stranded in Jasper, GA

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Towing our 5er to our newly purchased lot in Choestoe Falls RV community we broke down in Jasper, 41 miles short of our destination. Suspect trash in fuel lines. Thanks to Good Sam roadside assistance, we got the truck to a dealership after hours. They said they will “try to look at it tomorrow”. Tow truck driver was awesome, but due to various snafus, we didn’t get out of the cold for over six hours. Trouble is, the only motel that would allow our little dog is a terrible place. It’s a real flea bag dump. Our “non smoking” room reeks out loud of stale cigarette smoke. Really bad. My wife and I both have bad headaches. Because this all started at closing time for businesses, we are pretty much stuck. If we can’t find a tow company, or truck rental with a hitch in the morning, we will be stuck here till at least Friday. (unless Shottenkirk Ford is able to get the truck fixed), We will gladly pay anyone able to come tow our rig the 41 miles to Choestoe Falls so we can get out of this nasty place. It’s now 3:30 AM. ANYBODY?
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife
19 REPLIES 19

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear (see) all worked out well for you!!

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Profound apologies for not following up with y'all. I appreciated all your responses. As it turned out, the truck wouldn't be fixed 'till Friday. I reached two different guys who'd tow me for at least double what it should have cost. I was ready to bite the bullet when a third guy returned my message. He was THE BEST! He drove all the way from Atlanta, putting off another non-urgent job because I was stranded, and did the job for half what the others wanted. His vehicle was clean and quiet, and he knew his business. He even went out of his way to drop my wife off to rent a car from Enterprise in Blairsville. We were able to spend Thanksgiving in our rig, and had a car to get around. Truck was ready Friday morning, and it all ended happily!
The hero of the day was Larry Hale. He calls his one man operation RV Movers. If you need the best to help you in North Georgia, his # is 404 433 8170.
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we can assume the OP is all squared away since he has not responded back.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
mhardin, sounds like my breakdown in Tupelo MS, 98 degrees on the interstate for two hours, the wife and dog were panting, and it gets a little scary.
We rented a car a saw Elvis stuff the next day, and made the best of it. I hope Bunky got everthing worked out.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Addendum to my previous post-

The towing service Good Sam sent took my trailer to an RV park and helped me do a minimal setup, level and electric but no water or sewer, so my disabled wife and dogs could stay there while they took me and the truck to the closest Ford dealer which was about 30 miles away. It was over 105 degrees outside, so I could not have left the wife and dogs without the A/C. When at the dealer, I got a rental car and them went back to the wife and completed the setup. We stayed 4 days, if memory is correct, while Ford fixed the truck. It was a major repair and I can't complain about the time it took.

While the heat made it an incredibly bad experience, without Good Sam ERS, it would have been much worse!
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
ERS will tow the truck and trailer to an RV place and drop the trailer and take the truck to a shop.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
When I broke down Good Sam towed the combo, and dropped the 5er off at a rv park, and took the truck to a dealer.

Same here!
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I broke down Good Sam towed the combo, and dropped the 5er off at a rv park, and took the truck to a dealer.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam should include towing the trailer! Mine did.

Call them again.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the OP wanted to spend Thanksgiving in his rig, parked in his new spot. Hope RoadSideGuy can help.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Can also check w/ your destination to see if they have any other RVers that could come and tow your rig along w/ yourselves.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am confused, why wasn't a tow truck called for the RV also??? This is not that unusual to to a 5er.

Many tow companies simply lift the front of the truck and tow the combo.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III