cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch help

Shipwreck2
Explorer
Explorer
Now I think I have my truck picked out (2011 f250 diesel 6 3/4' box) and the trailer is a cougar xlite 29RDB.

Vendor is recommending a standard non sliding hitch? Any experience with the cougar xlite family and a non sliding hitch? They are including a Reese (I think) 12 or 14k I believe. Is this a good hitch or do I want something different

Secondly on my truck I would like a tonneau. If I put a standard tri fold soft top trifecta type cover would this work? Can I leave it in the folded position while travelling?
17 REPLIES 17

Shipwreck2
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up my trailer on Saturday. The dealer installed a husky 16k hitch. Seems to work very well on my 3 hour drive home. My first turns and my first backups had me very nervous but the trailer cleared the cab easily. Looking forward to taking this trailer camping now. Thanks for all the help.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
You would want to get a hitch rated for the GVWR of the TH, as a minimum. In this case 20,000 lb rating or more.

You should buy a hitch, that is matched to the capability of the truck. I agree on the 2000 350 coming up short, trying to pull/carry this TH.

Jerry

A hitch is the least of his problems . Having towed with a 99 7.3 Superduty for nearly 16 years, that fifth wheel is too much trailer for that truck. He won't enjoy the towing experience .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You would want to get a hitch rated for the GVWR of the TH, as a minimum. In this case 20,000 lb rating or more.

You should buy a hitch, that is matched to the capability of the truck. I agree on the 2000 350 coming up short, trying to pull/carry this TH.

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I been running Reese fifth wheel hitches in three trucks now.

Nary a problem.

Sometimes I think that urban legend gets started and goes viral on this board.

Anyway, my Reese works fine and suits my needs.

BTW I have that "no good Reese" mounted in a 2012 F250 without a slider and all has been well also. :C

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
How do you decide which hitch to get?

I haven't been on the board for a long time. I used to post in the pick up camper section a lot. I am a day or so away from purchasing a 2016 Grand Designs Momentum 380TH toyhauler. I will be looking at some other rigs tomorrow, but have put money down on the 380TH.

I have a 2000 F350 longbed crewcab to tow it.

Hitch weight is posted at 2,950 and the GVWR (Lbs.) is said to be 19,500.

I think what you should be considering is a truck to handle that much fifth wheel that 2000 superduty is overmatched

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer

I haven't been on the board for a long time. I used to post in the pick up camper section a lot. I am a day or so away from purchasing a 2016 Grand Designs Momentum 380TH toyhauler. I will be looking at some other rigs tomorrow, but have put money down on the 380TH.

I have a 2000 F350 longbed crewcab to tow it.

Hitch weight is posted at 2,950 and the GVWR (Lbs.) is said to be 19,500.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
I went through all of these questions. I struggled to find any pictures that made me feel better. So I took pictures of mine at a max turn. I had about 1" between the back of the cab and the camper.
Here is what I learned. I don't need a slider with my 6.5' bed, (I hear Dodges do, but Fords and Chevy's don't). I have a basic Husky (single jaw) hitch. Additionally, I have a Trifecta tonneau cover, and it made it for a 4900 mile trip from AK to NM. No issues with needing more turn capability or with wind on my tonneau. Hope this helps.
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for the Andersen. If weight is an issue, as in installing/removing or payload, then compare the Andersen to your other choices.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for the Andersen.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
While others have had a negative view on the Reese products, my Reese Titan 16 (sold under different model name 3 years ago) has been solid and dependable for 3+ years.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

Erie_Tom
Explorer
Explorer
Had a slider since the beginning.....used it once.
Erie Tom N8UAZ (Better Half Pat)
Ohio

Winter Steelhead Country

25' Innsbruck 5ver
2003 GMC 2500HD

2x4

. Extcab SB Duramax/Allison
Reese Kwik Slide Hitch
Prodigy
Ham radio listen to 146.52 simplex. HF 20M and 40M mobile

Retired and free as a bird

:B

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
Ship, I am planning on buying the same camper. Great choice!

I have a GMC 2500HD with the 6.5 bed. The dealer was definitive I do not need a slider hitch. I'm likely to put in a B&W turnover ball and either a B&W Companion or the Andersen Ultimate Connection that goes on the turnover ball. Either would be an excellent choice.

I have a Roll-n-lock tonneau on mine. Spendy, but worth it. It rolls into a storage area at the front of the bed.

I'm eager to hear how you like the new camper when you get it. Congrats on it and the new truck.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

djwest21
Explorer
Explorer
When we talk about great hitchs, we have been using a draw tite fifth wheel hitch a product pretty popular with U Haul. Trouble free comes out easy. You can break it down or pull it out whole.
God Bless West

Thumb
Explorer
Explorer
Shipwreck2 wrote:
Now I think I have my truck picked out (2011 f250 diesel 6 3/4' box) and the trailer is a cougar xlite 29RDB.

Vendor is recommending a standard non sliding hitch? Any experience with the cougar xlite family and a non sliding hitch? They are including a Reese (I think) 12 or 14k I believe. Is this a good hitch or do I want something different

Secondly on my truck I would like a tonneau. If I put a standard tri fold soft top trifecta type cover would this work? Can I leave it in the folded position while travelling?

I have a Cougar Lite 29RLI
Using the B&W no slide hitch , working great

Also have a Lund tri-fold that folds to clear the hitch

Very happy with both the hitch and the cover

Happy Camping!!