cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you transport your golf cart?

Reveye
Explorer
Explorer
I am tired of paying $500 a week at big campgrounds to rent their golf carts. I want to get my own and bring it with me. Looking for anyone who may have any experience with the swivelwheel trailer/extension. Pro's and cons and if anyone has a better way to do this to bring your own cart behind your fifth wheel. Pics are examples of the swivelwheel.

Rev
2022 Keystone Cougar 354FLS
2019 Ram 3500-Laramie
1 wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 dumb cat

13 REPLIES 13

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find double towing my motorcycle trailer behind my fiver much safer and more enjoyable than carrying my 1000 lb bike on the back of my fiver. Problem is double towing is illegal when I go into BC ….. so I can either be safer and illegal or less safe and legal. I haven’t had the guts to try double towing in BC. If double towing is legal where you travel I recommend that over a swivel trailer. The obvious downside to double towing is that some people find it challenging to back up doubles.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
One of the swivel wheel sites had a list of states that allowed double towing, the ones that didn't and the ones that allowed "extensions" but didn't allow double "trailers". I blame it on the lazy, ignerint and corrupt politicians who refuse to clean up States' laws to keep up with the times. To me, these are "extensions", just as the tag axles are on the rear of cement and dump trucks (not the ones underneath the frame) are "extensions" and not trailers.

I will say that I know of one local shop that installed a swivel wheel on a guy's FW and the guy hated it. It simply took too much weight off the pin and made the tow very uncomfortable. Guy only used it 2 or 3 times, then took it off and went back to a utility trailer. IIRC, he was hauling a couple of smallish quads on it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
A swivel wheel is considered an extension of the trailer and hence not a double tow AFAIK. Backing up is a non issue. But pros and cons.

My best friend bought a swivel wheel and it came with a certificate of origin and had a separate registration and title.

As far as our DMV was concerned it was a separate trailer.

YMMV

Take care friend.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I google search for rv.net posts, rather than use forum search. Works for me, most times. An example...google swivel wheel trailer posts rv.net.

Jerry

dedmiston
Reveye wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Over 600 posts - search the archives.

I didn't want posts from 10-20 years ago. The product was completely different back then. Appreciate your advice though.

And the Search feature has been broken for years. A search here won't help you with current posts.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reveye
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

I didn't want posts from 10-20 years ago. The product was completely different back then. Appreciate your advice though.
2022 Keystone Cougar 354FLS
2019 Ram 3500-Laramie
1 wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 dumb cat

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
This won't work for you but----a Smart car is smaller than most golf carts, you can drive them around in most camp grounds, also drive it to town with the a/c on, and cheaper than a golf cart. You go to a drag race and they are every where because they fit right up in that enclosed trailer where the golf cart USED to be.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
valhalla360, Don't have a swivel wheel and agreed you should verify that it is not a double tow in the visited states. Maybe there is a unofficialy list that would be a starting point.

Unfortunately there are 50 different sets of driving laws from the states with no reprocity except for the DL.

Problem is if you don't have clear official information, if a cop decides to give you a ticket half way across the country, the time and cost to fight it would be worse than paying the ticket...or they might simply force you to park it, until you can prove it's legal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360, Don't have a swivel wheel and agreed you should verify that it is not a double tow in the visited states. Maybe there is a unofficialy list that would be a starting point.

Unfortunately there are 50 different sets of driving laws from the states with no reprocity except for the DL.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
A swivel wheel is considered an extension of the trailer and hence not a double tow AFAIK. Backing up is a non issue. But pros and cons.

Logically it makes sense but I've yet to see it as official in states and provinces that do not allow double towing.

If we ever decide to double tow, it will likely be a swivel wheel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We currently use just a 5x10 trailer behind the 5er. I'm almost ready to just chuck it & go toyhaulerf.
Was real close to buying a rig as in your photo but after a lot of thought and some info on another forum just tried the dbl tow which is legal in my regular travels, but as I said I just don't like it. Problem is my wife's disability is getting worse and her 4 wheel scooter doesn't work real well off pavement so we take the golf car.