cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Many Worry When Watching Slide-Outs??

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just me?? I just expect the things to break every time I push the switches. And it's not just this RV (2016 Keystone Hideout). My old Salem scared me as well.... although it seemed a bit more smooth.

The whole slide just flexes and moves in what looks like scary directions. It seems like the top moves at a different rate than the bottom at the beginning and end of the range of motion. The slide floor lifts a couple inches when closing completely, and settles into place a couple inches when extending completely (both in my 5th operate the exact same).

Maybe I just worry too much... I have a warranty. I'm just afraid of trying to drive home with the slides extended ๐Ÿ™‚
37 REPLIES 37

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mtofell1 wrote:
Is it just me?? I just expect the things to break every time I push the switches. And it's not just this RV (2016 Keystone Hideout). My old Salem scared me as well.... although it seemed a bit more smooth.

The whole slide just flexes and moves in what looks like scary directions. It seems like the top moves at a different rate than the bottom at the beginning and end of the range of motion. The slide floor lifts a couple inches when closing completely, and settles into place a couple inches when extending completely (both in my 5th operate the exact same).

Maybe I just worry too much... I have a warranty. I'm just afraid of trying to drive home with the slides extended ๐Ÿ™‚

Currently, I only have 1 slide. I marked its depth, plus 3-4", on my awning pull-down rod and just use that as a gauge to be sure I have enough clearance before I put the slide out. Check any obstacles I'm not sure of (knee-height and overhead) and, if I'm unsure, I'll reset a few inches further away. So far, I've not had to do this. Will be more interesting with a new FW with a slide about half again deeper, as well as 2 others. I imagine a broken broom handle, marked the same way will work. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also make sure all cabinet doors are shut, chairs set properly and nothing has fallen down before moving in or out.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
kohana wrote:
The slides have a hand crank so no big deal. I worry about the awning. how do you get it up and secure if the motor fails?

Awning? No problem.... I can cut the awning off and drive home ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

The slide? Not so much!

Kidding aside, that's actually a good question.... do these new power awnings have a manual retract somewhere?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
my bedroom slide is hydraulic, does real moan when bringing in.

we are going on a 3 month trip, part no electric.
I know the slides work directly off batteries. how many amps will it drain from battery. and is there a way to connect it to use the 110 v system.
or if I leave connected to Truck, will that help
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
my bedroom slide is hydraulic, does real moan when bringing in.

we are going on a 3 month trip, part no electric.
I know the slides work directly off batteries. how many amps will it drain from battery. and is there a way to connect it to use the 110 v system.
or if I leave connected to Truck, will that help
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I have been fortunate in that through three different units with slides, I have yet to run into a major mechanical issue...knock on wood.

I too sweat the stuff that might have opened, dropped, or otherwise found its way into the path of the slides. Some velcro ties and a good looking over before any movement is always a good idea.
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
The slides have a hand crank so no big deal. I worry about the awning. how do you get it up and secure if the motor fails?
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a Schwintek slide out, take a look at this video:
Schwintek slide out lubrication (Winnebago)

If you have a different system with a long gear bar underneath the slide, use a spray on dry lubricant. I use a dry lubricant on my stabilizers and other stuff where you don't want a lubricant to attract dirt.

Also, check your owner's manual for specific guidelines on maintaining the slideout on your RV.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
pinkdogwood wrote:
What is the reguired maintenace for slide outs? I'm not sure we have ever done any maintenance on ours.

There is not much to be done. Using grease is going to attract road dirt so that is out. The only thing I do a couple times a year is spray a non sticky lube like a teflon spray on the runners under the slides & gearing.

If nothing else it makes me feel better that I have done something instead of nothing at all.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pinkdogwood
Explorer
Explorer
What is the reguired maintenace for slide outs? I'm not sure we have ever done any maintenance on ours.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I am not the only one who worries and agree you have to be vigilant when sliding them out or in.

One time TV antennae positioning handle came off when the slide was in and would have cause damage to the slide if I had not looked at the top of the slide before sliding it out. The slide on the other side has a cabinet door that likes to open while the slide is in and will pry off the fascia from the side of the slide when I run the slide out. Yep, I should fix that.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads-up on the overload reset.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I too sweat it out every time, especially with the big living room slide. It's the deepest and widest and heaviest, and it groans and creaks and wiggles.

The worst part is when I just start to bring it in. It has to lift a bit before coming in, and that's always a slow grinding part. Once in a while it just stops during its run in - I think there's some sort of overload or heat switch - but I cannot bring it in in one push of the switch.

I had that problem of not being able to bring my slide in without it stopping and not running until after a wait. I found the self resetting overload to be bad. Replacing it solved the problem. I took the old one apart and found the contacts had been out of alignment during manufacture. That caused excessive heat and early tripping.
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six seasons of use. Hundreds of times operated. Yes, the slides have failed. No, I don't worry about them much. The DW is the operator of the slides. I am the mere tech when things don't work.

So far two of the three have failed. One needed some re aligning. Have broken a shaft bolt twice. Once you figure out what is going on the fix is usually easy. I just happens at an inconvenient time. Having a spare part & knowing what to do seems to greatly reduce the chances of the same problem happening again.

Slides are fairly simple things. If you have the tools & are not affraid to use them much can be done all by yourself or with the help of the DW.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
I never worry unless there are trees or other objects near by. Then I open windows, stand nearby while the dW extends the slides, and talk to her thru the windows to let her know whether to stop or continue.

LOL!!

:S

This weekend I 1st spotted the 5er about 2" too close to the power pedestal!

Just a quick simple move it over 2". ๐Ÿ™‚
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"