Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much water in holding tank

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
When I break camp, I drain all tanks.
How much water should I put in the tanks to travel.
I am thinking a couple gallons with some bleach
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
18 REPLIES 18

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
We keep enough clean water and enough in black tank so we can use bathroom while traveling. Works well.

+1
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I never leave home without a full tank.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Yea! That's one of those real benefits about country living!

Just one of many. :C
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I put probably 3-5 gallons of water in the black tank after I'm done dumping it. I've never bothered adding water to the grey tank after dumping but maybe I should.

I fill my fresh water tank before any trip. When camping we generally dry camp so I need the water. If we're vacationing somewhere with hookups like Disney or the Oregon coast I'll still fill it up - I just prefer having it with us. I only have a 40 gallon tank and 6 gallon water heater so it doesn't amount to much extra weight.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
After living in the "country" for 30 years and having my own deep well domestic (175 ft) water that is non chlorinated and non treated we have found that he water in some areas is almost "un drinkable" unless it is below freezing we travel with a full FWT (80) gal.

I sure agree with you on this one! That's why we carry a jug of water from home. We are also on a well. It's not as deep as yours, but after having it for years now, when we taste city treated water the chlorine taste and odor is awful in some places. We fill our fresh water at the campground and use that water. We've never run into a bad water situation. We camp well established campgrounds, State Parks, and such. But for my wife's coffee, for consistency in taste, we use the water from home. (That's the main reason we carry the extra jug).

And one more thing about having your own well. We lived in the city several times over the years, where water is supplied from a water treatment plant. The water from a well, not treated, has natural minerals in it, that's not been stripped out by some kind of treatment. So there is an element of "rust" in water. Over time, white surfaces will begin to turn slightly red or brown. No problem making them white again, but that "rust" is iron. How many use city water and then pop pills to supplement their iron intake? How about calcium? You know that white hard stuff that forms on your faucets over time? Probably not so noticeable with city treated water, but on a well, it does build up over time. Yea, calcium? Ring a bell? How many folks take calcium supplements for bone density and bone health? If on a well, you get this naturally. And how about that chlorine in the city water. Who wants to drink a bottle of bleach? Well, over time, that's exactly what you're getting on city water! Yea! That's one of those real benefits about country living!

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
After living in the "country" for 30 years and having my own deep well domestic (175 ft) water that is non chlorinated and non treated we have found that he water in some areas is almost "un drinkable" unless it is below freezing we travel with a full FWT (80) gal.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about everybody has their own idea and methods on this subject.

However, common sense will tell you that if you have a few gallons in the black and gray tanks while traveling, the back and forth motion of the water will slosh around and help to dislodge any solids or tp that is clinging to the sides and sensor probes. I try to aid this sloshing by putting in a cup of liquid laundry detergent along with about 5 gallons of water. I do this for both black and gray. Some add Calgon water softener to aid the soap and to make the interior of the tank slippery.

We NEVER use any type of rv tank chemicals along with rv toilet paper. Total waste of money in my opinion.

Like others, I typically only put in enough fresh water in the fresh water tank to aid in flushing the toilet (we drink bottled water).

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
dmck413 wrote:
I travel with about 10 gallons in fresh tank unless going boondocking. Gray tanks empty,black tank empty then add 1 toilet full of water with chemical for travel.

X1, when traveling, I carry 10 to 20 gallons which is usually enough for 2 people to be able to use the toilet for the day's travel. On one ocassion, I even pulled into a rest area and took a quick shower.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If after I dump I feel the need to rinse a bit more ,I will add one bucket full, about 5 gal, in the black tank and dump it when we get home. I may do that if we do not plan on campin' for a bit. Otherwise, we dump and head out empty.

I always keep a minimum of about 15 gallons in my FW tank for use along the journey.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
After dumping black tank and flushing, then grey tanks I have mix of Calgon,cheap liquid detergent 50-50 shake well, then put in 1 cap full to 2 toilet bowls of water,no problems and the gauges all work just fine.

The gray tank gets a squirt of Dawn down the drain then about a gallon of water.
The sloshing around on the way home seems to have has kept all my gauges working.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Grey empty. Black about 4 gallons to aid in "cleaning. Fresh water about 1/4 full in case we need to use the bathroom while going down the road.

Found a new way to help clean the black tank while going down the road - put a bag of ice in the black tank before leaving and the ice cubes will help clean the bottom of the tank and the melted ice will aid in cleaning too.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

greende
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 5 or 10 gallons just to use the toilet. If we are going to a local State Park, the tank is full so I don't have to stop and fill it prior to getting into the campsite.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We keep enough clean water and enough in black tank so we can use bathroom while traveling. Works well.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch