cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm so new I don't even have an RV

Manwithnorv
Explorer
Explorer
....But thinking about it if I can figure it all out.

My wife is retiring this May and we are contemplating our first RV. Too much to process, so it will probably be fall before we take any action.

I have a spreadsheet with all the vehicle specs (GVWR, GCWR, etc.) and all the specs for a lot of 5th wheel campers and it looks like the only thing that can pull anything (without exceeding wt specs), is a 3500HD, diesel, DRW....All the SRW's seem to either fail or come too close.

Decisions, decisions. Our second choice activity for retirement is working crossword puzzles...no pressure.
35 REPLIES 35

James57
Explorer
Explorer
There are private people out there that do RV inspections, just like home
inspectors.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Manwithnorv wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on the book "Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide"? Is it worth the price and time to read?

No disrespect meant, but if you are trying to get a idea of the world of camping and what you should spend thousands of dollars on by reading a book then IMHO you are not ready to spend the that kind of money.
You have received tons of good advise here, but it sounds like you know nothing about the world of RVing. If so, I would advise you take it slow (means spend little) until you have rented an rv and spent some time in our world.
It is extremely diverse with many different styles and types of areas to explore. the only way to figure out what you may like is to check them out on the cheap side first, before you spend the big bucks and regret the route you have taken.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want the best you don't have to buy used. Buy a 2018 f350 Platinum dually diesel and a new, New Horizons Majestic 5th wheel. You could be done shopping next week.

Edit: I lied. To get the best you might want to go used and buy a Continental Coach..... which is no longer built.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Manwithnorv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advise and feedback.

Bill_n_Ann_M_
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice in doing your research first then purchasing what you want.
The wife and I had agreed that we would eventually retire to full time status and set up a plan of milestones to do exactly that. We have looked at 5ers for the last 15 years, deciding what we liked and didn't like in different brand offerings. Three years ago we decided on a weight limit and purchased a Ram 2500 6.4l Hemi to keep our max. tow weight to under 16,000. This year we found our rig, a Sprinter that has a loaded GVWR of 14,000. Already planned out a second run to get better acquainted with it.
Wilson III: 2015 Ram Tradesman 2500 4x4 6.4l with 4.10 & puck system
the gypsy, Belle III: 2018 Sprinter 3531 FWDEN

kenvs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello OP - you're going about this the right way as others have said. Buyer's guides in general you'll find give very little information for any particular model and are by and large a waste of money. They are very general so as not to possibly offend advertisers and lack space to write much at all. Narrow your search and go look for yourself.

We have looked for the past year and a half with a very specific list(s) of what we wanted. DW had her list for the interior and I had my list for engineering and build quality developed over many years of RV ownership. The industry is looking at shipping over 550000 units this year and quality in the entry level units will suffer as it has in last years. Some manufacturers are touting that they build a unit in under 8 hours (check YouTube).

We started with a preowned TT, to a Class A gas, to a Class A diesel pusher and now a fifth wheel. Find a dealer that you trust, be as prepared as possible and enjoy the ride.

As far as a tow vehicle is concerned, buy the truck that is adequate for what you plan to tow fully loaded plus a little additional capacity.

Good luck.
'17/RAM 3500 Cummins dually
'18 Forest River Riverstone 38RE
US Army Retired

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
go to shows and the local rv lot and do some window shopping. looking at pictures and online reviews is totally different then seeing the rv in person.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with the book. But you should read everything you can get your hands on to learn more. I have been RVing for more than 30 years in one form or another and I learn new things every day (especially on this forum). There is a wealth of information here (let the search function be your friend) - especially when it comes to quality manufacturers and truck sizing (which doesn't sound like it will be problem for you). I'm also a fan of buying gently used. In fifth wheels, I bought a 1994 model in 1999 and replaced it with a 2011 model in 2016. In both cases I saved significantly over buying new.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Manwithnorv
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have an opinion on the book "Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide"? Is it worth the price and time to read?

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
norv, good for you, doing your research first. You are getting some good advice here so far.
I retired in 2005, bought a 5th wheel rv (30 foot tip to tip), a 3/4 T Duramax/Allison long bed crew cab, and started traveling to see the USA that we had been too busy raising a family to see before.

We never "full-timed" because we still have family on the east coast that we love to spend time with, so most of our travels have been a month or two in duration. We get home/family sick if we are away any longer.

So far we have camped in every state except Alaska, and Rhode Island, for at least one night.
I am saying this, not to brag, but to show you that you can do it with a 5th wheel camper that is 30 foot tip to tip, and a 3/4 T truck. If we full-timed, or wanted more luxuries we would need a bigger camper, and a heavier duty truck.

That said, there were only a couple campsites in the hundred or so we stayed at that were uncomfortably small, or hard to get into. But it happens.

In the same vein, we traveled thousands of miles with friends with campers up to 40 feet, and usually had campsites right next to them.

So in my opinion, any camper that suits your needs, between 30/40 feet, and a vehicle that can handle it, will work for you.

You won't really know what your needs are until you have camped/traveled a bit. So go ahead and get the rv that you think you want, and maybe you will get lucky, but don't be surprised if it is not....Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which manufacturer? You won't get a top one for cheap, just like any other product. Most have an economy & a deluxe line of models. Chances are the main differences are on the inside with upgrades in furniture, appliances, hardware, plenty blingy stuff all sitting on the same frame & having the same tanks.

JMO but better to pay $X for a year or so old used A line model than a new B line. Starting by only looking at the higher quality lines cuts the size of the starting herd significantly.

Once there cut further by length. We tried to stay at 32 max but bought a 34. Refused to even look at anything over 36'. In upper end units that will reduce herd size even more. As stated before tankage is important, especially if places like Alaska, music festival, Albuquerque Balloon Festival, Oskosh EAA, SPs & NPs are in your travel plans. Limit models to a tankage of 80gal FW or more, along with the other parameters & you will be down to less than a dozen choices in no time.

From there you go to floorplan, specifically the galley as a priority. Is it workable? Is there counter space on either side of the sinks so that dirty goes in one side & clean out the other side has somewhere to be put? Many do not.

Got all the parameters set? Should be down to less than 6 model choices in only a few builders. Now the hunt begins. If going to a dealers lot don't let any salesman sell you something THEY want to SELL to you. Don't let them entice you with "Such a deal" that you WILL regret later & be right back losing money on a trade for something else.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I donโ€™t worry about the manufactures.

They all make junk and they all make decent rigs. If buying used you really want to buy the previous owner. Just like buying a car. Which is better 225k miles with religious maintenance and the records to back them up or a 50k mile car thatโ€™s never had an oil change? If buying new buy the dealer not so much the brand. The dealers service after the sale is what you want.

Here is a bunch of facts that I had to settle on. All RVโ€™s will require me to tinker with them. They all require cash and time to maintain them. They all will leak at some time in their lives, how bad is up to me and how I maintain the trailer. Itโ€™s just the way it is.

I would not be as concerned about the brand as I would the floor plan and the amenities. Look at all of them with a fine tooth comb...even the ones you are not going to buy. Look at welds, seams, cabinets and how they are all put together. After a while you will start to be able to pick up on the bad vs the good just because of your familiarity with how things should be.

No joke here, my DW and I looked at 100 plus used campers before we bought our last TT.

As far as brands go, it seems to me that the three most popular are Cougar, Montana, and Mobile Suites.

Also, buy the Dually diesel. It will treat you nice. Get a good interior you can be comfortable in as well.

Thanks and good luck,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
campers are outgrowing sites. That is a fact. Another fact is that existing campsites built when shorter non slide out units were the normal often cannot be lengthened widened, or upgraded with power .
Liken it to your home street built in the 60s. please tell us where you could invent land.

Manwithnorv
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. so do people who have campers greater then 34' have problems, do they regret their decision? Where does length really become a problem?

I not looking to visit my favorite local state park 15 miles away, I want to travel the country and be comfortable doing it...but not if it means I can't find a place to park it.